AVIC411.com

stolen D3; replaced w/Z2 now that's been stolen w/in 4weeks

there alot of shady shops out there. i am an installer at best buy... before i started working here i was doing installs with my friend. we had a friend come to us to get a bunch stuff installed. Deck, speakers, subs, amps. we would usualy go into L.A. and get stuff for cheap from the wholesalers. But our friend thought all that was too much money. he was gonna get good quality stuff for cheap. so he went to a shop and got crap quality for even cheaper and he got an alarm. about a week later while at school (H.S) his car got jacked. all the audio stuff stripped and the car was found in the parking lot of a church. So watch out for some of those mom and pop shops that may seem shady.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an alarm is only as good as the install. I love those that have the alarm brains right under the drivers dash and not hidden. I remember a customer coming into our shop to have new equitment installed. he had been at a different shop and had a full system installed and an alarm. not only did his truck get stolen out of his driveway a short time after the work was done but to add insult to injury the thief ripped out the alarm brain and left IT on the driveway where the truck was. now thats pretty f***d up.

• 4 weeks later...

Alarm...Before u waste more time and mony I would suggest a 791xv.I know its alot of money but your out alot more now that u have these problems,and jus think how much your wife will love u when she doesnt have to get into hot car...I have been installein for 11 years and see it over and over again.ALARM FIRST BEFORE DOIN ANYTHING AFTERMARKET.........

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to go to that same pizza place in Roseville, CA for a DEI dealer training thing and was paranoid the whole time I was in there, I drove around for 30 minutes till I could get a close spot and watched my pager remote like a hawk. lol I've worked in shops for years and I've never seen shady stuff like installers jacking stuff but I've worked in higher end shops. I have heard of a few shops in the Sacramento area that have had some shady things happening like that, a couple in the south area.

junebug, where is this shop you had the work done at?

bottom line is if a thief wants your system, they will get it. it doesnt matter if you have the best alarm in the world. if youre not there to hear it or do anything to stop it, its useless...it just makes a loud noise, which would scare amatuers away, but not the ones who can make a living off doing this kind of thing. the best thing to do is to insure everything you buy.

as for the discussion about shops bein shady, YES SOME SHOPS WILL DO THAT, so for anyone on here whos defending installers and calling other members 'dummies', get your head out of your ass and realize that it does happen. theres a place not 5 minutes away from me that hands out complimentary license plate frames with their company name on them, and then look for those frames like targets, and steal back what they sold. and since most places ask for your information, give them a fake address.

but a helpful tip to make it harder, if not impossible for the thief to take your stuff:

owsT.gif

its called a security screw. my father showed me it (hes a contractor) when i was installing my z1 a while back and i dreaded having to get them out...i needed to use a dremil to get them out. it uses a flathead tip and can only be turned clockwise. its near impossible to get the screw out once in because of the curves sides on the other side. get a box of them and change all your hardware to that screw.

I

junebug, where is this shop you had the work done at?

I am extremely confident that it's not the shop. They are upstanding honest people that have been at the same place for a long time. Only one of them I thought about and he has since left the shop. hmmm, wonder if they fired him for stealing???

I'll even plug them, Auto Radio Stereo on Madison.

I have been going to Auto Radio on Madison for quite a while as well, who left recently?

I don't believe that any of them could or would be involved with anything like this, I think it was just dumb luck the first time and the area the second time. I have had 3 radios stolen in the last 8 years - all of them were at or near Birdcage (Target, Best Buy and the old Orchard Supply)...

Yeah Auto Radio Stereo is a great shop. I seriously doubt issues with them. I've been lucky over the years. I'm paranoid with my car, I go into the store for 5 mins and I pop the faceplate off my N1 and take it in the store with me. I park in the garage at night and at work (I work at a car audio shop in Elk Grove) It's at the front row parking with my 2-way pager alarm armed. I don't take my car to the movies, mall or anything like that, I use the wife's car (which has nothing of value in it). I'll tell you, I worked security at the Cinedome theatres on Greenback and I-80 back in 1994-95 and that place was a HOT SPOT for people jacking stuff. It was difficult keeping an eye on the parking lot, you would be on one end watching someone suspicious and they would be on the other side jacking stuff. You can't have anything nice these days without these haters trying to take your stuff. One time there was an instance where these hood rats tried breaking into my car off Madison and I-80 at 4am and I chased them all the way to Rancho Cordova after they pointed a gun at me. lol They went to jail for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Installers are people, some good, some bad. I've seen shops get busted for one bad seed. Fire the bad seed and move on. I think most installers do it for the love of the work, but I've fired guys for stealing from me. 18 years installing, I've seen a lot of installers come and go. If a thief finds a great spot to stake out, you'll get busted into over and over. The movies, malls, boat docks and restaurants. They see you park and walk in.... they know your not coming out for at least 30-60 min. It can take a good thief 3 to 4 min to rip out your plastic mounted $1200 Nav. Get a 2way paging alarm, and cover up your valuables. If they don't see it they are less likely to smash a window. A bright flashing light and nothing to see....move to the next car. A bright flashing light and a expensive DVD.... smash and grab. Even with a 2way pager, by the time you run out of the movies to see if it's just a false alarm (and you probably wont if its a good movie) they'll be long gone. Boat dock..truck with an empty trailer? Your goodies are as good as gone.

It's sad we can't have anything nice these days.

Think of where you park, up front, near the entrances, and hide your sh*t!

And oh ya, I can hook you up with a good alarm, Roseville, CA. Licensed and insured.

ill chime in and say.. you can have an alarm and it wont stop a theif...

subs, amp, avic screen & brain, two headrest Tv's stolen @ school night time. parked on the MAIN asile, under light right next to the parking pay meter.. alarm on the car, xv791

i was out of range from the pager, so i didnt get the beep when it was broken into..

time away from car: 30 mins..

so even with a good alarm (pro install everything hidden where it cant be reached including pain generators) anyone that wants your stuff will take it

• 2 months later...
bottom line is if a thief wants your system, they will get it. it doesnt matter if you have the best alarm in the world. if youre not there to hear it or do anything to stop it, its useless...it just makes a loud noise, which would scare amatuers away, but not the ones who can make a living off doing this kind of thing. the best thing to do is to insure everything you buy.

as for the discussion about shops bein shady, YES SOME SHOPS WILL DO THAT, so for anyone on here whos defending installers and calling other members 'dummies', get your head out of your ass and realize that it does happen. theres a place not 5 minutes away from me that hands out complimentary license plate frames with their company name on them, and then look for those frames like targets, and steal back what they sold. and since most places ask for your information, give them a fake address.

but a helpful tip to make it harder, if not impossible for the thief to take your stuff:

owsT.gif

its called a security screw. my father showed me it (hes a contractor) when i was installing my z1 a while back and i dreaded having to get them out...i needed to use a dremil to get them out. it uses a flathead tip and can only be turned clockwise. its near impossible to get the screw out once in because of the curves sides on the other side. get a box of them and change all your hardware to that screw.

remember if they cant just pull it out they will break things alot of the times your 1200 / 1500 / 2000 dollar indash will be cheaper than relplacing ur whole dash , one tip for people with alarms, buy a backup- battery siren the battery is in the siren it dont matter how many cables they cut it will keep going off until the battery wears off usualy about 45 min only way to shut it off after set off is with a key like a safe has works very good almost every alarm that leaves my shop has one