AVIC411.com

Speaker Reccomendations

I have a 2000 Accord EX, I'm looking to replace the factory speakers (6X9's and probably 4's??) with after market to be powered by the AVIC-D3. (No amps). I just want decent sound quality, nothing too powerful as I have small children and don't care too much for booming bass, just want clear crisp sound...

1. is it even worth it?

2. What brand/models would anyone recommend?

Thanks!

Jon

1. is it even worth it?

Of course. Stock speakers SUCK.

2. What brand/models would anyone recommend?

Depends on you budget. High end. focal, and cdt audio for starters.

Middle end. Alpine, Kicker, etc.

Low End. Anything sold in walmart, dual, jensen, etc.

Best bet would be go somewhere and listen to the speakers first. If it sounds good to you then get them. FYI speaker sizes are 6.5" in the front. And either 6.5" in the rear or 6x9.

if you are not going to add amps, then go with the walmart stuff, cause you are not going to hear all the sound that is there and will not be played through the head units built in amps. they are just no good. If you get a small amp to power 4 speakers, the go with any of the middle fo the road lines. I have JL Audio VR and TR speakers hooked to a 4 channel M series Memphis amps and mine sound absolutely spectacualr and cost me around $700 installed. But I bought JL compnent speakers and they are pricy, but the regualr JL coaxials were about $150 less per pair and sound good too.

You get the sound that you pay for, so budget yourself enough to get a set of speakers that run about $150 to $175 for both sets and then a good amp to run them that is around the $200 to $250 mark and you will be amazed at how much better it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great choice going with Focals! I have K2's and they are amazing. You will not regret it, even though the wallet hit may hurt at first. But if you go high-end make sure you amp them well.

They make 6x9 Polyglass and Access series. You can get a 6 inch coaxial installed in a 6x9 hole or get a 5 or 6 separates on a 6x9 plate and put the tweeter in your window pillar or door. Personally I like the tweeter in the window pillar but that won't be hidden away out of sight. If you can fit go with the 6x9 in the back and separates up front. If you decide to go with mid-range, I recommend Alpine. You can power them off the head unit and get a decent upgrade sound but don't expect miracles.

Make sure you match the amplifier RMS power (not peak) to the speakers you choose. The 690CVX for example are 80W so you'd want a 80Wx4 amp. The 690CA1 is 60W. How much space you have will determine what size amp and potentially what speaker as a result. I'm not sure what amps to recommend. Go to cartronixplus, you may be able to get a much better amp for the money than locally. When looking at an amp you want to match the power, good frequency response, high signal to noise ratio, and low distortion. Don't be too concerned with crossovers and bass boost and stuff since you'd likely control that from the head unit. If you're mounting the amp under your seat then you need one with knobs/adjustments on the sides not the top and watch the dimensions.

Good luck,

Stephen

I have the focal A1 series and I'm only running the head unit.They are a good choice if you're on a budget.They sound a little better than stock without the amp.The A1's are a step down from withinavoid's focal K2's but still a very nice speaker.I do agree with everyone,it needs to be amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...