AVIC411.com

help did the bypass and it worked but now it dont.

Did the bypass and the firmware update. It worked for 4 weeks in between that time I was adding songs too my hard drive tried too play dvd and it plays but no picture. took the brake wire and grounded it and it went away from splash page but didnt show the movie. All the controls for nav work when you drive so the bypass is correct. Maybe I changed some setting that i dont know about. Can someone help me.. Thanks

Did the bypass and the firmware update. It worked for 4 weeks in between that time I was adding songs too my hard drive tried too play dvd and it plays but no picture. took the brake wire and grounded it and it went away from splash page but didnt show the movie. All the controls for nav work when you drive so the bypass is correct. Maybe I changed some setting that i dont know about. Can someone help me.. Thanks

Well, first, lets make sure you have two wires grounded:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass

Wire #1:

Ground the light green parking brake sense wire from the Z1. If the light green parking brake sense wire is already connected to your vehicles parking brake switch wire, then disconnect it from the vehicles wiring and then ground it. Do not permanently ground the vehicles parking brake switch wire, just the light green sense wire from the Z1.

Wire #2:

Look on the back of the Z1, there are 3 main connectors.

As you are looking at it from the rear, the connector on the bottom right (closest to the FM antenna plug) is labeled on the back of the Z1 as "connector 2".

The 4 right most locations in that connector DO NOT have wires in them.

You need to add a wire to this position and ground it as well.

Then we'll go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine has worked for over a year, and just last month it started acting up. I checked and re-checked my connections and they are solid. I get the error message that the parking brake is not connected correctly and video doesn't play until I stop the car. The parking brake shows "on" in the menu. Something is screwy because I don't have to pull the hand brake I just have to stop the car. The only thing I can think of is I hit reset a few times (I also got mad and held it down for like a minute) last month because it kept locking up on boot up. (It was a hot week over 95+. That tells me the update didn't fix the overheating issue.) The firmware shows 2.0 so I don't think I've reset the system to default but it sure acts that way.

So my questions. When I was holding down reset did I reset the firmware? Is there a way to re-install the update to fix this problem?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Trying to reinstall the update doesn't work since it detects 2.0 still. It has to be a wiring problem...guess I'll have to rewire everything to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

sorbid,

What you mention is a classic descirption that you didn't wire up "wire #2" correctly. That is no longer grounded. If that wire is no longer grounded (check the connector end not the wire to ground end) it will do exactly what you describe. As for the reset to allow it to work, the Avic will let you bypass the unit with just the parking brake wire "for a while". After a while it will get annoyed with you and start locking you out while you are physically moving. And it will unlock itself while stopped but when you start moving it will lock itself again. When you press reset, it resets the "for a while" counter. When you reload software it resets the "for a while" counter. The only way to make sure it doesn't lock you out is to ground wire #2. That's what it sounds like the problem is.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for advice Ducati. I have quadruple checked my wiring. It's solid and nothing has come loose. Now what I'm not sure of is the firmware version. A year ago when I installed the update, I don't remember if the firmware version changed to 2.0000500 like Pioneer's site suggests it will do with their update.

Does the firmware version change to 2.0000500 using the update in this forum or only the official Pioneer update? Because my version says 2.0000. The only thing I can think of is when I held down the reset button a few months back it wiped the update. But when I try to reinstall the update, it says it's already updated.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's off to Pioneer for repair or trade in. Right now my unit freezes at the boot up splash screen about 80% of the time. This is not cool for the amount of money this thing cost.