AVIC411.com

THE LAST D3 BYPASS THREAD

Ok there's 3 stickies on how to do it Plenty of pictures, plenty of explination in them. Here it is 1 last time.

With a pick or razor blade, lift the white tab on the rca harness where the mute wire is.

Pull mute wire out of harness.

Rotate mute wire 180 degrees. HINT: Look at it, you'll see a metal tab. That tab is what locks the pin into the harness.

Insert mute wire into hole above the hole you removed it from. Making sure that the metal tab fully seats. You will feel a click.

Connect the mute wire AND the parking break (for you jimmy303) wire to the BLACK ground wire. Connect the end of that black ground wire to, here's another hint, the ground wire in your aftermarket car radio harness. If your car radio harness does not have a ground wire in it (older chryslers, nissans for example). Then you must conect the black wire from the avic to STEEL behind the dash.

No you do not lose any functionality of the CD-BTB200's ability to mute the radio.

No hooking the vss wire up does NOT affect this bypass.

Any new topics about this, I will either delete or lock.

Oh yeah, if you want pics see one of the other 3 stickies.

Then go to wherever you bought it and get your money back. They ALL have it

Hey let me ask you a quick question what if you don't have that yellow/black wire (the mute wire)?

With much thanks to AVIC411, I was able to perform the parking brake bypass with no problems... With one major difference that may help the person who couldn't find the mute wire.

I had Best Buy install the unit at their store since I was a little intimidated by the thought of tearing into the dash of my new Toyota Matrix. My '65 Cutlass? No problem! Anyway, after the install, I decided my wife watching DVD's while driving was more important than being afraid of ruining a dash so I read every posting in this forum regarding the dash disassembly. Upon pulling out the D3, I noticed the install kid left the pigtail (i.e. harness) for the A/V RCA I/O in the box.

THAT'S WHERE THE MUTE WIRE IS! So if you didn't hook up that A/V harness, you won't see the mute wire anywhere and your bypass mod won't work. The parking brake grounding isn't enough, from what I understand (I didn't try it without).

Once I had that working, I hooked a three connector RCA cable to AV1 IN and ran it to the glove box. That allows me to hook up the PS2 or my Archos 504 media player to the D3. The Archos plays everything from xVid to Quicktime to MP3's. Now we're set for the long haul!

Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Co.

I searched but didn't find my answer. If I missed it, feel free to flame. Do I have to have the accessory harness on for this mod to work? I just tried grounding the green parking break wire to the black wire from the D3 but I got the "parking break wire incorrectly connected" message. Do I simply just need to make sure I have a better connection, or will this not work in my case where the mute wire isn't even in the picture?

I searched but didn't find my answer. If I missed it, feel free to flame. Do I have to have the accessory harness on for this mod to work? I just tried grounding the green parking break wire to the black wire from the D3 but I got the "parking break wire incorrectly connected" message. Do I simply just need to make sure I have a better connection, or will this not work in my case where the mute wire isn't even in the picture?

Reread the first post. Thats EXACTLY what is required for the bypass no more no less.

The mute wire that's yellow/black. Looking at the RCA wire harness, it should originally be yellow on top, black on the bottom. When you do the 180 degree turn, won't the black now be on top with the yellow on bottom.

On some pictures around the forums, it still looks like the yellow's on top and black is on bottom after moving it from the bottom clip to the top clip.

the main question I have is the grounding part. I have very little experience in audio hookups. Does anyone have a pic or Microsoft Paint drawing of what exactly needs to be done with the parking brake wire and mute wire?

Right now, I'm assuming I'm supposed to cut an inch or less off of the black ground wire. Cut the ends off of the mute wire and the parking brake wire and spin them both around the black ground. Tape it up and put that black ground back to that metal.

Thanks!

thanks cntrylvr79,

one last question with the wiretaps. never used one before. It looks like there's no cutting at all on my part.

just to confirm:

1) Open up the red wiretap

2) Place the black ground in the groove along wire tap

3) Place mute wire through the "metal tunnel"

question....obviously one end of the mute wire and parking brake wire end at that harness that plugs up to the back of the headunit. The other end of those two wires...are they just dead ends?