AVIC411.com

ANy avic s1 reviews

[quote name="HeavenSoldier"]I saw one at 12volt but was wondering does anyone one here have the s1 and would like to review it? Like I heard someone else say the s1 was dead-on, I know they changed maps to navteq, so how do you like the new maps from navteq? Is the s1 accurate? Just give a review. Thanks and God Bless.[/quote]

Does anyone have the link to 12 Volt's review?
[quote name="countdown"] [quote name="HeavenSoldier"]I saw one at 12volt but was wondering does anyone one here have the s1 and would like to review it? Like I heard someone else say the s1 was dead-on, I know they changed maps to navteq, so how do you like the new maps from navteq? Is the s1 accurate? Just give a review. Thanks and God Bless.[/quote]

Does anyone have the link to 12 Volt's review?[/quote]

Well it's not an official review, its just a forum topic.
[url=http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=80960&PN=1]http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... 80960&PN=1[/url]

But anyway, if I don't get the s1 can yall recommend me a good mobile device to get something under $600, something very reliable, extremely reliable map wise, got a family member who wants to travel a lot for business so I need something reliable 99-100%. Thanks and God Bless.
I have no idea what the MSRP is for the Nuvi 360, but I do know that I can buy one from either Buy.com or Amazon.com for about $699 versus an Avic-S1 from a similarly reputable online retailer (i.e. Abt, Crutchfield, or J&R) for $599. So $100 difference doesn't really deter me, no. Most good in-dash navigation solutions (i.e. the Pioneer Avic-Z1) go for $1,500 minimum, and then the portable, transfer it between cars, take it with you to Europe on vacation aspect is lost.

Now, if I wanted to go "bargain basement" and select a less than known quantity retailer, I could pick up the Avic-S1 for $440. But that isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison, is it? I mean, once the Nuvi 360 has been out a while and all of the "shady", "fly by night", "our shipping charges are $69.99", or "our return policy is that we don't take returns" online retailers are selling it, then maybe we can compare pricing on a level playing field.

Having said that, [i]even at $440 vs. $700[/i], while I'm not the kind of person who sneezes at a $260 price difference (BELIEVE ME, I'M A TIGHT-WAD :lol: ), I'd much rather pay the "extra" $260 for something that actually works, than "save" $260 and buy something that is going to annoy me every time I use it. I suppose that for the person for whom the extra $260 is a deal-breaker, that logic doesn't apply, and I understand that -- it's not like I can afford the best in class of everything I buy.

There's an old saying, and I forget exactly how it goes, but it's something like this: "The glow of a good deal had fades much more quickly than the sting of a bad purchase." As always, YMMV, just my two cents.
based on researching reviews, the garmin nuvi 360 seems to be top notch right now. Approximately $699 -- but it's just coming out right now, that price will drop over time (or additional retailers willing to drop the price will begin carrying it). I know your budget is $600 -- but an extra $99 for a unit that seems to have it all (not just in terms of "specs" but in terms of usability) doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, YMMV.
dhodory, I see your points. I also see that you live in central Ohio, Columbus I am assuming. I would be more than happy to meet with you and let you demo the AVIC-S1 first hand and see what you think after that.

I went to Best Buy yesterday at Polaris and played with the Nuvi 350 a little and while it was nice, it was was not as easy to navigate through the menus as the AVIC-S1. And yes it was quicker once you select your option, but by a split second only. And what's better(or safer), quicker or easier to use? The guy also made a comment about no street names on the AVIC-S1. Not sure where that come from, but it is far from accurate. And the whole glare issue had me laughing as well. I guess almost any surface will have a "glare" in direct light. I have not had an issue with glare, or street names or anything he found fault with. I have had mine and have been using it for a couple of weeks now and love it. I think dollar for dollar it is unbeatable.

As I said, the invitaion is open dhodory, I am in the Grove City area. Just drop me a message and we can arrange to meet and you can judge the AVIC-S1 for yourself.
[quote name="That_one_Guy"]dhodory, I see your points. I also see that you live in central Ohio, Columbus I am assuming. I would be more than happy to meet with you and let you demo the AVIC-S1 first hand and see what you think after that.

I went to Best Buy yesterday at Polaris and played with the Nuvi 350 a little and while it was nice, it was was not as easy to navigate through the menus as the AVIC-S1. And yes it was quicker once you select your option, but by a split second only. And what's better(or safer), quicker or easier to use? The guy also made a comment about no street names on the AVIC-S1. Not sure where that come from, but it is far from accurate. And the whole glare issue had me laughing as well. I guess almost any surface will have a "glare" in direct light. I have not had an issue with glare, or street names or anything he found fault with. I have had mine and have been using it for a couple of weeks now and love it. I think dollar for dollar it is unbeatable.

As I said, the invitaion is open dhodory, I am in the Grove City area. Just drop me a message and we can arrange to meet and you can judge the AVIC-S1 for yourself.[/quote]

Hmmm, then I may still get the avic s1, I really need it for a family member who is traveling far business wise, and will constantly use it, but the person at 12volt said it's reliable too. So your having no problem with it? I know it uses navteq. Please let me know, also did you post a review anywhere online? Also does it mount good in the car without everyone noticing your a tourist or seeing the navigation system? Thanks and God Bless
[quote name="dhodory"]based on researching reviews, the garmin nuvi 360 seems to be top notch right now. Approximately $699 -- but it's just coming out right now, that price will drop over time (or additional retailers willing to drop the price will begin carrying it). I know your budget is $600 -- but an extra $99 for a unit that seems to have it all (not just in terms of "specs" but in terms of usability) doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, YMMV.[/quote]

Also where can I get the nuvi for 700?
buy.com

[url=http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202636440&loc=111&sp=1]http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... c=111&sp=1[/url]

you must add to your cart to see price.

amazon.com also has it at the same price.