AVIC411.com

D3 Installed - Bypass Mod Complete

I spent an inordinate amount of time studying all the issues here with the D3 and the bypass, the BT issues with phones, the route inconsistencies with the Nav, etc...

I bought my unit on Ebay and the price was good enough that I could also buy a no questions warranty from Square Trade and I still came in much lower than Crutchfield with the new rebate from P. I did buy a Sirius tuner from Crutchfield so I didn't get off totally retail free. I bought it from them because they insisted it was new. I could only find refurbished on Ebay. The price wasn't that different anyway so my peace of mind won that battle.

I was planning to do the bypass myself but a local installer in Lakewood, CO was willing to do the installation and the bypass. He had the same information as everyone else does here. He guranteed the work and the bypass and the price was reasonable. I usually do all my own work like this but in this case it was worth it to me.

Everything works beautifully and the bypass was flawless. Nav, DVD's all work fine. I had the same issues with my TREO 750 that everyone else has with the bluetooth compatibility but the Jetware software fix works just as advertised. I find the D3's route selection to be the same as I would choose in the Denver area so no problems so far.

All in all it has been a good experience and the info I got in this forum helped a lot. I registered so I could post a good report for others who might be thinking this all sounds a bit intimidating.

I am very happy with the unit and all the features. Definite improvement for me. Having a DVD playing and going down the road was a little disconcerting but not having to stop to input addresses to the Nav is essential. I wouldn't install the unit without the bypass.

I spent an inordinate amount of time studying all the issues here with the D3 and the bypass, the BT issues with phones, the route inconsistencies with the Nav, etc...

I bought my unit on Ebay and the price was good enough that I could also buy a no questions warranty from Square Trade and I still came in much lower than Crutchfield with the new rebate from P. I did buy a Sirius tuner from Crutchfield so I didn't get off totally retail free. I bought it from them because they insisted it was new. I could only find refurbished on Ebay. The price wasn't that different anyway so my peace of mind won that battle.

I was planning to do the bypass myself but a local installer in Lakewood, CO was willing to do the installation and the bypass. He had the same information as everyone else does here. He guranteed the work and the bypass and the price was reasonable. I usually do all my own work like this but in this case it was worth it to me.

Everything works beautifully and the bypass was flawless. Nav, DVD's all work fine. I had the same issues with my TREO 750 that everyone else has with the bluetooth compatibility but the Jetware software fix works just as advertised. I find the D3's route selection to be the same as I would choose in the Denver area so no problems so far.

All in all it has been a good experience and the info I got in this forum helped a lot. I registered so I could post a good report for others who might be thinking this all sounds a bit intimidating.

I am very happy with the unit and all the features. Definite improvement for me. Having a DVD playing and going down the road was a little disconcerting but not having to stop to input addresses to the Nav is essential. I wouldn't install the unit without the bypass.

I live in the Lakewood/Denver area so hopefully I'll see you around and I am a certified installer as well and from the price you said you got a hell of a deal but obvioulsy I didnt have to pay for labor.

Crazy Price!

If I may ask, where did they install the SAT radio and BT units at?

Wondering the same thing...and what type of vehicle (did I miss it?). I just installed the D3 in my 2006 Impala SS to make sure I got it right the first time...and I did.

I now have to install the BT and XM tuner, and was wondering where you would tap in for power and GND. I believe there is space on the tranny hump behind the center console, so I'm pretty sure it will end up there. I already have an XM antenna on the corner of the dash and it hasn't failed me yet. I put the SAT antenna there too, and I'm 1 bar short of the perfect signal, so I'm not going to put myself through the pain of wiring through the car to the trunk and/or roof.

I figured install would run nearly $200, so I did it myself. After spending a G on everything, another $200 wasn't in the cards.

Although, if I cannot figure out the SWC, I may pay to have someone do just that part.

As I said the installation was on a 2008 Toyota 4Runner. To be perfectly honest I don't know where the Sat and BT modules were mounted. I do know there is not a lot of space and both units are under the console. the antennas for Sat and Nav are mounted on the rear center of the roof and wiring routed through the brake light wire harness and routed under the head liner to the front. BT microphone is mounted on the headliner in the left corner pillar near the driver. The SWC is a tricky thing, easy installation but funky programming to make it work. It took several tries to get it working. The $275 cost was for labor and dash kit to install. I also bought a toyota interface to be able to use the factory amplifier. That unit was pricey at $145. I had bought all the hardware separately from the installation. Total installed cost to me for everything was right at $1300. D3=$740 (including BT, iPod, Remote). Sirius Tuner = $99. SWC = $40, Amplifier interface = $145, Labor = $275. I didn't pay any tax since everything was ordered online and costs shown include shipping. There is no tax on Labor in Colorado.

Admittedly, people should do their homework on this kind of stuff to find good pricing but it is still costly. The homework helps to make sure you are going to be happy after the sale too. I read all the reviews on everything. I went and checked out all of the various competitors to Pioneer at Ultimate, Circuit City, and Best Buy. I originally wanted the Alpine with the portable docking nav. Neat idea but not so good on the screen resolution. I played with all the units and I chose the Pioneer. Like anything else it has limitations but so do all the others. The Pioneer unit's limitations were less of a problem to me than others. Somebody else would likely have a different opinion than me.

As I said the installation was on a 2008 Toyota 4Runner. To be perfectly honest I don't know where the Sat and BT modules were mounted. I do know there is not a lot of space and both units are under the console. the antennas for Sat and Nav are mounted on the rear center of the roof and wiring routed through the brake light wire harness and routed under the head liner to the front. BT microphone is mounted on the headliner in the left corner pillar near the driver. The SWC is a tricky thing, easy installation but funky programming to make it work. It took several tries to get it working. The $275 cost was for labor and dash kit to install. I also bought a toyota interface to be able to use the factory amplifier. That unit was pricey at $145. I had bought all the hardware separately from the installation. Total installed cost to me for everything was right at $1300. D3=$740 (including BT, iPod, Remote). Sirius Tuner = $99. SWC = $40, Amplifier interface = $145, Labor = $275. I didn't pay any tax since everything was ordered online and costs shown include shipping. There is no tax on Labor in Colorado.

Admittedly, people should do their homework on this kind of stuff to find good pricing but it is still costly. The homework helps to make sure you are going to be happy after the sale too. I read all the reviews on everything. I went and checked out all of the various competitors to Pioneer at Ultimate, Circuit City, and Best Buy. I originally wanted the Alpine with the portable docking nav. Neat idea but not so good on the screen resolution. I played with all the units and I chose the Pioneer. Like anything else it has limitations but so do all the others. The Pioneer unit's limitations were less of a problem to me than others. Somebody else would likely have a different opinion than me.

• 2 weeks later...