AVIC411.com

2.2V on pre-out right? At what volume?

So the D3 has 2.2V pre-outs. At what volume does it reach that? To setup an audio system correctly I need to know at what volume to set the HU to then set my gains on the amp. D3 goes up to 40, but at what volume does it hit 2.2V?

I'll go through the trouble of finding out myself in a few weeks but just wondering if some of you had already done it so I can have a ballpark figure to reference.

Method:

Using a DMM connect the leads to the pin & shield of your RCA's. Now start playing a 0 dB test tone (with all EQ, loudness, bass boost, etc. flat) and start turning the volume on the HU up, watching the AC voltage coming out. Your HU is supposed to output 2.2V on the pre-outs, so be looking for a number in that ballpark (but not over). Make a note of what the highest volume setting was before the voltage went over 2.2V. That is your absolute maximum HU volume.

Thanks in advance.

Could just turn the gains on the amp all the way down. Then turn the volume up on the avic until you hear distortion. then back it back down until the distortion goes away. Of course this should be done with asong your very familiar with so you know when it's distorting. Oh and it's best not to use hiphop/rap as that tends to be very extreme on it's swings.

Ah, I see you've been listening to NAFSPARK over at the icixsound boards.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread. ... ge=2&pp=10

Technically he's right -- setting your gains with the EQ set the way you like may sometimes clip the output of the HU or the amplifier itself. But don't let anyone tech-talk you into getting too anal about it. Busting out an oscilloscope isn't going to make your system sound any better than one done by a careful ear.

Edit: ah, cntrylvr79 beat me to it. Like he said, turn down the amp, balance out distortion by ear, then adjust the amp. It's more of an art than a science.

I want to make sure my HU is feeding my amp a clean signal, and so on and so forth.

If I understand your method correctly, you are limiting the gain of the power amp so that it's not over driven when provided the full-on signal of the D3. The problem with that is that it assumes all input sources are equal and they won't be. So you're limiting the amp output to match the theoretical loudest source input. Anything less than will not allow you to get the maximum output. If "clean at all costs" is your ultimate goal, then Bob's your uncle and this is the way to go. OTOH, if you want to be able to get maximum output for all sources, then you'd maximize for the weakest source. You can still keep it clean though. You just have to remember than full volume might be 40 some times and 35 at other times.

Ah, I see you've been listening to NAFSPARK over at the icixsound boards.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread. ... ge=2&pp=10

Technically he's right -- setting your gains with the EQ set the way you like may sometimes clip the output of the HU or the amplifier itself. But don't let anyone tech-talk you into getting too anal about it. Busting out an oscilloscope isn't going to make your system sound any better than one done by a careful ear.

Edit: ah, cntrylvr79 beat me to it. Like he said, turn down the amp, balance out distortion by ear, then adjust the amp. It's more of an art than a science.

Yes, I have been listening, I try to be a quick study. :)

I have almost all the equipment from that schematic sitting in my home, the D3 is already installed. I have some sound deadening done as well, but not all. No time lately, with son being sick and myself and wife it's been difficult to set aside time.

I'm waiting for the sub enclosure to get in, then the rest gets installed, I'm just trying to do it all "right". Wait is killing me though.

I'm trying to get a clean signal from my HU, I don't want my HU distorting. I'm trying to avoid distorting anywhere down the line actually. I'd prefer to be safe and have it all be clean all the time, I understand not all things are recorded at the same level, etc. Nonetheless I'd prefer not to push beyond the limits of my equipment and possibly damage something. Even setting everything within these safe limits using "geek scientific" methods I figure the volume levels should be loud enough to keep me grinning happily. :twisted:

cntrylvr, don't worry about me in that sense, rap and/or hip hop will likely never "grace" my sound system if I'm alive, definitely not my thing. House music for me, the occasional trance, techno, etc.

Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

When I finally get around to it I'll post back with my results in case someone else down the road is doing a sound system and searches like I did. lol

I want to make sure my HU is feeding my amp a clean signal, and so on and so forth.

If I understand your method correctly, you are limiting the gain of the power amp so that it's not over driven when provided the full-on signal of the D3. The problem with that is that it assumes all input sources are equal and they won't be. So you're limiting the amp output to match the theoretical loudest source input. Anything less than will not allow you to get the maximum output. If "clean at all costs" is your ultimate goal, then Bob's your uncle and this is the way to go. OTOH, if you want to be able to get maximum output for all sources, then you'd maximize for the weakest source. You can still keep it clean though. You just have to remember than full volume might be 40 some times and 35 at other times.

Or you could make use of the source level adjustment on the D3 to match all the source's volume levels...

Well of course there's going to be variations from one piece of media to the other... I'm just talking about between the actual sources on the D3, the radio being the base reference for the volume of the D3's other sources. Like if you set up your amplification system using the FM radio as the base volume, the ipod or XM or whatever source might not be the same overall volume at the same volume setting. That's where the SLA setting comes into play.