AVIC411.com

divix formats ?

File extensions.

.avi

.mpeg or .mpg

.divx

Thats not necessarily correct. I have the first season of 'The Office' and it's in .avi format but it doesnt play in the D3.

I also have the 4th season of 'Top Gear' burned to the same type of media with the same software, and it works fine, and it is also .avi format.

I would suggest getting a Divx converter and using it for all your formats to be on the safe side.

File extensions.

.avi

.mpeg or .mpg

.divx

Nope.

AVI is a container and there's no way to know what's inside just by the extension. There are two synced data streams inside: Video and Audio. Those data streems can be any of the possible formats. For example, your audio stream may be MP3 and your video streem might be DivX. Together, they're synced and wrapped up into a single AVI file.

It has been confirmed that the D3 will play Divx or Xvid files. There is a program that is usually included in codec software that you install to play videos on your computer. I believe it is called fourcc or something like that. Using that program, you will be able to tell which codec is being used on avi container file and change the label so that the D3 will play it.

There's a topic somewhere on the site that tells how to convert a non-divx avi file (like xvid, etc.) to a divx avi file without doing any re-encoding (it's instant) and it plays on the D3 fine. Where is it? I have no idea... maybe Mr. Search could find it.

• 3 weeks later...