AVIC411.com

Question about Steering Wheel Control and Illumination

so i bought an n4 and had it "professionally" installed by car toys and i have two questions.

1. with my stock stereo i was able to control the receiver from the steering wheel. the n4 was installed and i currently have no control from the steering wheel. is something not hooked up properly? is there some other part i need? is it even possible to control audio on the n4 from stock steering wheel controls?

2. by the looks of it, they forgot to connect my illumination wire. or at least i think they did. i used the search function and found a bunch of threads on the subject and that seemed to be the cause of not being able to use the night mode. currently i am unable to use the night mode. my question is in one of the system menu's it allows you to check and see what all is connected. vss, parking brake, etc... so for the illumination portion it says "off" and the manual and what i've read seems to indicate that if it is not hooked up it will say "NOK". so... is it off or is it not connected because i've looked at everything and can't seem to figure out how to change it from "off".

so i bought an n4 and had it "professionally" installed by car toys and i have two questions.

1. with my stock stereo i was able to control the receiver from the steering wheel. the n4 was installed and i currently have no control from the steering wheel. is something not hooked up properly? is there some other part i need? is it even possible to control audio on the n4 from stock steering wheel controls?

gonna need a pac swips and possiblly some other parts depending on the year make model of the vehicle.

2. by the looks of it, they forgot to connect my illumination wire. or at least i think they did. i used the search function and found a bunch of threads on the subject and that seemed to be the cause of not being able to use the night mode. currently i am unable to use the night mode. my question is in one of the system menu's it allows you to check and see what all is connected. vss, parking brake, etc... so for the illumination portion it says "off" and the manual and what i've read seems to indicate that if it is not hooked up it will say "NOK". so... is it off or is it not connected because i've looked at everything and can't seem to figure out how to change it from "off".

The illumination is not hooked up. Ill will never say NOK. It'll just say off if it's off or not hooked up. Again year make model of vehicle would be helpful.

in order to keep the steering wheel controls you need a special interface, you can get one from a company called PAC (pacific accessory corporation) pac-audio.com, the pac swi-ps should would since it is for pioneer units that take wired remotes like the n4. You need to have someone who knows that they are going install it , there can be a little tricky sometimes and you have to get everything right or start over.

you may have a can bus system which means illumination and swc may be data. a can harness and can swc adater along with the pacswips may be required. like he said go to pac and see about what interfaces you need for swc. use metra for your can harness if needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for any mistakes, first time. I have searched alot of the post to see if I could find the info I'm looking for, but have had no luck.

I have a 2006 Mazda MX5 -Miata w/o Bose system. I'm trying to install an AVIC-N2

Could use some help locating the best spot to connect to the VSS.

Also, I purchased a PESWIPS universal Steering wheel control, appairs to be to be the same as the PAC SWI-PS.

There is NO place to plug the jack into the back of the head unit. Am I missing something? I see that there is an "system extension connetctor"

listed in the manual that I do not have, and it appears to have a lead for a wired remote. Does not appear to have a plug jack.

I do not need the RCA plugs that come with it. speakers are already wired to the power connector.

:?