AVIC411.com

Z1 install in '07 Explorer Sport Trac

I am putting my Z1 into my new Sport Trac, and need to find out what color the VSS wire is. There should be one in the harness of the factory HU (speed sensitive volume). Also, where is a good place to tap into the reverse signal? In my '01 Sport Trac the reverse wire was running down the drivers side of the truck in a bundle of wires. Anyone have access to a wiring diagram (Maybe even an '06 Explorer??) I called Crutchfield to ask about the Ill wire (some say that the supplied harness from crutchfield has the Ill wire in the wrong pin) and all they could say was that it might be in the wrong spot, and they don't know about the VSS wire in the ST or in the '06 explorer.

BTW- I spent about 2 hours lastnight soldering in the Ducati Flasher and a PAC steering wheel control into the harness... All I need is those two wires and I can slip itinto the dash!
at the overhead console, and the gray/black at the windshield wiper motor.

your reverse wire is a black/pink wire found at your electronic mirror, and your central security module behind top right side of dash both of those are if you have the keyless option

or

the black/pink wire running down the either the drivers or passenger side
You need to be careful with the reverse wire. The Z1 comes with some sort of reducer in their supplied harness and it is designed to hook into a 12V source. Anything less could give an innappropriate signal to the Z1. One guy here had issues and the installer had to remove the reducer. But who knows what he ended up with and what the Z1 wants to see. I would connect the wire to the 12V wire to one of the reverse lights, use the supplied reducer, and not worry about it.

The VSS wire on my Aviator was in one of the radio harnesses and was gray with a black stripe. If you have speed sensitive volume like you say, you should have the same thing. However, I also read here somewhere that Ford changed the color code of that wire...so careful inspection should be done...such as a factory wiring diagram. A dealer may allow you to read their manual. Also, sometimes public libraries carry them.
yes never remove the resister. and the sport trac is based on the old explorer chassie and there is no gray/black wire at the back of the radio. at least for the 2005 model. no 06 wire info yet. the radio monitors the voltage on the 12volt input to the radio that is how it increases the volume. like the older chevys.
I looked in the overhead console, no grey/black wire in there. On a Sport Trac forum someone told me that it was the purple/orange wire on the back of the old HU harness. That was not it... I canot find the cruise control module under the hood--it is a V8 and has "throttle by wire" and I am not too familiar with that type of cruise control. This thing is driving me crazy. Everything else works fine, except for the Nav. IT keeps putting me off road, and I think because the VSS isn't hooked up. Do you know where the wiper motor loom is at?? Is it outside or inside the cabin?? That is my next spot to look, but it will have to wait until Sunday as I am on a trip tomorrow.