AVIC411.com

Electrical Interference

I've got a problem on a 2001 Lincoln LS some of you knowledgable guys may be able to help me with. We installed a factory subwoofer assy in this car we bought off eBay. The car is a 2001 LS8 Sport edition which didn't come with a factory woofer. That's why we bought one. All the factory wiring was in place however. I used an adapter harness (Metra or Scosche) to convert the Z1's Sub pre-outs to the factory wiring harness. This converts an RCA connector to straight wiring for the harness. I installed one of Ducatiboy's voltgage regulators to drop the Z1's amp enable voltage to 5V for the Ford amp. We plugged the amp assy in and it works great. So we mounted it up and called it good. Well...not quite. Now we get a nasty engine noise interference through the subwoofer. And, it doesn't matter if you have the audio turned on the Z1 or not. (I didn't realize until now the Z1 enables the amp with the key being turned on...it doesn't need an audio source turned on) Now, here's where it really gets strange. It's not a constant interference. It comes on, makes noise for a few seconds, then shuts off again. It can be several miles or just a few seconds before it comes back on and repeats this process. I've checked all the connections at the amp and couldn't find a problem. I've tossed on a couple of jumper wires for additional grounds and no improvement. Is my problem with my wiring at the Z1? I haven't checked that.

By the way, we also upgraded this to a Z2 at the same time by installing a new programmed hard drive. I doubt that has anything to do with this though. That part works flawlessly.

By the way, when the engine isn't running, or when it is and the sub isn't making noise, it works fantastic. It's exactly what we were after. So we really would like to figure this out and keep it in place.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting the same type of static out of my left front speaker on a Z1 that's been installed for over a year. With the vehicle (04 Cadillac SRX) on and the unit powered completely off, the sound is like engine noise that increases and decreases on it's own. The noise comes for awhile and then goes away. I thought it was interference from my iphone or bluetooth. I've turned everything off in the car (heat/lights/seats) and still the sound continues.

No recent mods or wiring had occurred prior to the start of the speaker noise.