AVIC411.com

Focals 165 A1

You'll be providing a 1/4 of the power that Focal recommends for those seps. Your system will only be as strong as it's weakest link. In this case, it will be your amp or lack of. You'll be fine at lower volume, but expect lots of distortion at higher levels. I wouldn't want laziness to be the cause of your newly acquired paper weights.

I bought these from an authorized dealer who sell focals and eclipse electronics. I asked them what focal speaker will work with my unit without an amp. They pointed out the focals a1 line.The only negative comment was it may not sound as sweet as it would with an amp.They are installing it friday.I'm not disagreeing with you I'm only stating what was told to me.What brand amp should I look for since these are high quality speakers?

There are lots of great sounding amps that would bring out the full potinal of the Focal's. I perfer Zapco. High S/N ratio and slew rate, plus great crossovers. JL Audio's slash series are nice also. Look for an amp with at least 50-100 watts w/ a high S/N ratio(>100dB) and slew rate(>25 V/uS). I run the Zapco 4.0 on my A/D/S/ 346's, 100 watts a channel, >100dB, >40V/uS, >1000 damping factor.

S/N ratio: cleanliness of power

Slew Rate: how fast the amp can respond from one freq to the next

Damping Factor: the amps ability to control cone movement