AVIC411.com

Please Help with Touch Panel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked around all day online for possible fixes on my +/- issue - I was hoping there would be a magic button sequence to reset the hardware, but nothing yet - I found an AVIC-N2 service manual and it's extremely technical, so it doesn't offer any pinpoint help for my latest symptoms - if I would have saved the calibration settings correctly the first time in, the +/- buttons would not have failed (I believe) - I also noticed the 'WIDE' button now does not work for the aspect ratio of the AV video - those 3 buttons are the only thing failing on my system right now - I had this unit installed by my dealer again (after my first N1 was stolen), but I figured it looks like Pioneer will fix anything for $200, so I may as well try to fix what I can - I have no idea how to pull the unit, so I will have to pay for that as well - I have a trip in december that will require its use, and it will work fine as it is - unless I discover a solution, I will pull the unit early next year & send it in for repair
What kind of car is it in. Can't imagine pulling the headunit out being very difficult in any car. Sounds like it might be an issue with the flex cable. Great how pioneer still has issues with those things. Anyone remember the 8400mp? Those things were notorius for the flex cable going bad.
it's a 2004 Expedition - I've never done ANY car stereo work

I have looked through the N2 service manual PDF and saw on the Keyboard PCB diagram (pg 72/73), the 'wide', 'angle+', and 'angle-' switches are all grouped together on one circuit (I guess they're circuits!) which happens to connect to switches 2 & 4 from the 'select' item (joystick). Since they're all bunched & together, my logic tells me there is probably a problem right there. That's all the detective work I've been able to do today online. I haven't taken the keyboard (faceplate) apart to see how everything connects, but the first thing that comes to mind is replacing that set of buttons ( page 17, part # 68 "button" on the exploded keyboard diagram - pioneer part CAC8434 - [url]https://www.ued.net/ued/addItems.do?itemCode=PNRCAC8434[/url] ).

The last thing I wanna do is try to solder on any of the boards or stuff like that. If there's no mildly simple solution, I will only be out $200 or so to get it repaired at Pioneer. Any thoughts on the button replacement approach?
If you feel like getting adventurours, taking the headunit out of that truck is quite simple. With the screen closed, pop the trim ring off of the avic. You'll see 2 small phillips screws on each side of the radio. Grab a #0 scredriver and a magnet. Remove the screws and keep the magnet near by to help you grab the screws should they fall. Once all 4 screws are out you can slide the headunit right out. From previous experience I'd say the problem is the flex cable. You can try replacing the buttons, but I doubt that's going to do anything.
  • 1 month later...
Well.. I thought "hey its probably just an electronics problem on his N1 that caused the +/- buttons to stop working" welll if thats the case, I now have the same problem. However, I think its kind of odd that all of a sudden the +/- buttons don't work after getting into the service menu and doing the recal. I am going to see what else I can find... but let me know if you find a solution!

Also, when I tried tracing the white line.. i got a message "Invalid by the outside of a permissible value". I've done a lot of work with touchscreens, and I'm OK with the screen itself being off.. but I would think there would be a way to adjust it. Has anyone else seen this message?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]The touchscreen can be recalibrated if you go into the service menu. Too bad I found that out after I sent my d1 out. 5 weeks and I still haven't gotten it back yet.[/quote]

Can you post procedure to get into service menu for the D1. Thanks
Open the face up all the way. Now hold the dvd eject button and the reset button on the face. Let go of only the reset button. Once the screen comes up saying "press reset" you can let go of the dvd eject button. You can now close the face. Next push up on the joystick twice. Then press down twice. Finally push in on the joystick. the d will go to another screen and about five seconds later the service menu will come up.
Well I tried the Calibration and was not successful. The left side is is where is fail the calibration. I did the Calibration trace around the screen and after i traced it for a minute it looks like an hour glass. Has anyone else seen this with their Avic-N1 while trying to recalibrate their screen?
  • 3 weeks later...
this is just garbage. i was able to tolerate the screen being off, it was just a matter of pressing the buttons 1/2 or 1/4 of an inch to the left. no biggie. now, when i am trying to scroll through my recent destinations or address book, i cant scroll up for down. since the button is flush with the left side of the screen, the 1/4 or 1/2 in range to the left obviously isnt in an area where i can touch.

this unit is basically garbage for me right now...

aside from typing in my destinations, which is the reason i have an address book, all i can do is open it up and press return home.

boooo!!!

Tom