AVIC411.com

Noise on RCA lines, yeah I tried everything else....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Petra-Keystone-Insert-RCA-Jack-A-V-Connector_W0QQitemZ150252949296QQihZ005QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I removed the connector from the wall plate insert, slid a ring terminal on the back, secured it with a nut, grounded it, plugged my RCAs from the HU into one side, and ran a set of RCAs from the other side of the connector to the amp.

This is not original with me. I found it in the link someone posted above.[/url]

Which end of the RCA cable(s) are those installed and graounded? They should be on the head unit end, not the AMP end, and they should be grounded to the chassis of the radio not to a grounding point on the car.

Yep. Just wrap a wire around those inserts and attach the ends of the wire to one or two of the screws on the back of the D3, kind of like in this picture. Then just plug the D3's RCA outputs in one end and the RCA cables in the other end.

PioneerFix.jpg

This is a super common issue with Pioneer head units. 98% of the time it is related to a bad ground for the amp. When you hook RCAs up it damages the ground trace inside the unit. The other 2% of the time it was bad from the factory. It is something Pioneer warranty will cover. If you want to be without the unit for a while. Otherwise grounding the RCA at the RADIO will fix it.

There's a design flaw with Pioneer products when it comes to noise issues.I have the Pioneer Premier KEH-M780 that I bought brand new in the late 80's or early 90's.I installed it with the Pioneer EQ-7000 and 12 disk cd changer.It was a straight forward install but I didn't get any sound.I checked and checked and rechecked still no sound so I figured it was the head unit because my EQ didn't display any band bars.So i'm pissed I ran back to the shop that sold me the unit, they took it out and grounded all of the Rca's to the chassis of the unit and the sound popped on.They said Pioneer for some unknown reason had to be grounded that way.I still had alternator whine,it wasn't too bad.When the car was parked the sound was crystal clear.You live and you learn.

I moved the RCA ground to the HU chassis last night and that seemed to fix most of it. There is still a very slight whine that can be heard when the HU volume is turned down, but much more tolerable now.

I guess I need to send my HU in for repair to fix the real problem.

Thanks.

• 9 months later...
Yep. Just wrap a wire around those inserts and attach the ends of the wire to one or two of the screws on the back of the D3, kind of like in this picture. Then just plug the D3's RCA outputs in one end and the RCA cables in the other end.

PioneerFix.jpg

THANK YOU GUYS soooo much. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have an AVIC-Z2 and a while back I arced the 12v and ground cables accidentally while installing a PAC module. Ever since then I had this awful whine. I tried everything suggested on other sites to no avail. Once I tried this the whine when away COMPLETELY. This was a $0, 15 minute fix as opposed to paying $100+ to pay a guy to try and fix the internal ground loop.