AVIC411.com

Noise on RCA lines, yeah I tried everything else....

Ok, so first off, I have an AVH-P6800DVD. As you know its very similar in design to the avic units.

When run off the high level outs (speaker wires) it sounds great.

When attached to the rca's I get alt/engine whine bad.

Checked all grounds, good.

Regrounded everything, to the battery, then a common point for all items, then to just different bare metal places.

Tried the ground the rca shield trick, no go.

Even tried hooking the head unit up to a different car for power, still not good.

Also all of this was done with all pioneer accessories disconnected from the head unit to eliminate them as a problem.

Also tried ground loop isolators and no help there.

Sound goes away when the rcas are disconnected from the head unit (OR) from the amps.

I've read on here (searched for the last 3 hours) about an rca fuse ???

Never heard of one on any device with rcas.

I'm thinking maybe bad caps in the power supply of the head unit ??

HELP! I want to resolve this so I can sell it and get a d3/z1/z2 for my new ride. The p6800dvd doesn't have external remote jacks that I need for my steering wheel controls :(

Used to be a local installer but im stumped!

FWIW - the current setup :

97 eclipse gst spyder

avh-p6800dvd

avg-vdp1

i pod adapter

gex-p920xm

diamond audio d3400.4

diamond audio d3600.1

I have a D3 with basically the same problem on my Lexus LX450. For mine, though, the alternator whine is reduced almost completely if the chassis of the stereo is not in contact with the vehicle metal...wierd stuff. Let me know if you have any luck. I am thinking this "microfuse" may be the culpret as well.

• 1 month later...
Ok, so first off, I have an AVH-P6800DVD. As you know its very similar in design to the avic units.

When run off the high level outs (speaker wires) it sounds great.

When attached to the rca's I get alt/engine whine bad.

Checked all grounds, good.

Regrounded everything, to the battery, then a common point for all items, then to just different bare metal places.

Tried the ground the rca shield trick, no go.

Even tried hooking the head unit up to a different car for power, still not good.

Also all of this was done with all pioneer accessories disconnected from the head unit to eliminate them as a problem.

Also tried ground loop isolators and no help there.

Sound goes away when the rcas are disconnected from the head unit (OR) from the amps.

I've read on here (searched for the last 3 hours) about an rca fuse ???

Never heard of one on any device with rcas.

I'm thinking maybe bad caps in the power supply of the head unit ??

HELP! I want to resolve this so I can sell it and get a d3/z1/z2 for my new ride. The p6800dvd doesn't have external remote jacks that I need for my steering wheel controls :(

Used to be a local installer but im stumped!

FWIW - the current setup :

97 eclipse gst spyder

avh-p6800dvd

avg-vdp1

i pod adapter

gex-p920xm

diamond audio d3400.4

diamond audio d3600.1

Have you been able to resolve this issue? You described my current situation with my Z2 perfectly!

what kind of RCA's also where is the power wire next to rca or other side of vehicle???

In my case, I have tried 2 different sets of RCAs (both Monster cable).

My power wire from the battery is run along the driver's side of the vehicle in the channel under the door sills.

My RCAs, XM IP-Bus cable & amp remote turn on wire are routed along the passenger side of the car under the door sills.

Not that it would cause much if any interference, but I always run my turn on lead on the same side as the power wire. Because it's got an electrical current running through it I don't want it anywhere near the RCA's.

If you have an mp3 player or portable CD player or something that has RCA outputs on it you can hook it to the inputs on the amplifier and see if the noise is still there using an alternate audio source.

I have the exact problem with my D3. I too have tried everything, and I too get no whine when not using the RCA's. I have tried two different amps, lots of RCA's speaker wire, ground locations, etc. When my amp is hooked up to the factory speakers, but the RCA is not connected, there is no whine. As soon as the RCA is connected and it is started back up, it whines like crazy.

Even when it is not in the dash (held in my hand) so the chassis is not touching metal so that cannot be it. I tried isolators, ground wires on the RCA's, EVERYTHING.

Go to Best Buy, buy the Peripheal ISVE-61 4 channel line out converter, use that off the high level speaker outputs, turn the gains to 1/4, then rca plugs on the output side going to the 4 channel amp.

Problem solved.

Use this converter, not a cheap one online. You could also use two ground loop isolators, but it will kill your midrange.

What if you're only trying to power a sub?

I'm using the speaker outputs from the Z2 to power the door speakers...and am only trying to use the subwoofer output RCAs to power my subwoofer's amp.

Is there a solution for me?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the RCA inserts, grounded them, and ran my subwoofer RCAs through them before going to the amp.

The whining noise increased exponentially.

Does this mean that my engine whine/noise is being introduced from the chassis? What do I look for?