AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 Freezing at Pioneer Load Up Screen!

Plz help...I have to send mine to the Pioneer shop in Ohio to get repiared, but Im hoping maybe here is an easier fix for this freeze...It has been happening on an off for the past couple weeks...and the reset button fixed the problem, but yesterday it stayed frozen PERMANENTLY. I got my Z1 from mytaxfree.com, but they are a shady company...so my question is does anyone know another possible fix? Will Pioneer charge me to fix this? I bought this brand new 3 months ago....thanks!
If mytaxfree is not an authorized seller for Pioneer, you are probably going to have to foot the bill yourself. Pioneer's warranty sheet clearly states this.

This kinda sounds like a hdd issue....which is weird because I've now heard of two factory hdd's going bad...and both of them were from units bought from unauthorized dealers. It has me wondering where they got their units from.
  • 2 weeks later...
I had the same issue. I think I finally found the root cause. The hot weather. Someone else posted on here with the same problem and it clearly states in the owners manual the operating temps of the unit. Sure enough, a hot summer day in Kansas, with a black interior, the temps rose above the max temp allowed, and the Z1 got stuck on the Pioneer splash screen. Sometimes a reset worked after the car cooled down a little. Don't worry about the warranty, just give Pioneer the name of the local authorized Pioneer dealership (they won't know the difference if you tell them you got the Z1 as a gift there and you don't have the receipt). Worked for me when I called them on an unrelated issue.
[quote name="Chuckzul"]I had the same issue. I think I finally found the root cause. The hot weather. Someone else posted on here with the same problem and it clearly states in the owners manual the operating temps of the unit. Sure enough, a hot summer day in Kansas, with a black interior, the temps rose above the max temp allowed, and the Z1 got stuck on the Pioneer splash screen. Sometimes a reset worked after the car cooled down a little. Don't worry about the warranty, just give Pioneer the name of the local authorized Pioneer dealership (they won't know the difference if you tell them you got the Z1 as a gift there and you don't have the receipt). Worked for me when I called them on an unrelated issue.[/quote]

so how the heck do i get it to go away?!
Unless you can find a way to route air to the unit itself to cool it down, I really don't see anyway around this. I thought about cutting some small vents on the conduits in the dash that route a/c, and fab some tubing that would divert some of the a/c directly onto the Z1. This won't help at start up, but it will cool the unit down faster. If your car sits in the hot sun all day in 100+ degrees, and the temps on the inside of your car exceed the manufacturers limits, there is likely nothing you can do to fix this. I suppose you could get one of the solar powered window fans, that might help a lot in cooling down the car's interior. Or you could heavily tint your windows.
I live in South Carolina, and my car is parked outside in the sun all day with tempertures that reached this summer over 110 heat index. I know a couple times this summer when I started the SUV, the outside temp said it was 107....and, I have never had a problem with the Z1 over heating.
Another possibility is to get a 12V fan like those used in PC's (make sure it's 12V; most PC fans are 5V these days) and mount it under the dash to push some air up around the Z1. This will be very dependant on how much room there is to get air up there.

At least this way on cooler days you could put a switch in line with the fan and only power it when you need it.
  • 2 weeks later...
I am now having the same problem. It "sits" on the Pioneer startup screen and just sits there. I can play music, change the input (with the remote only) and adjust the volume (also remote only), but nothing on the unit works except the tilt button. It was kind of hot today, but my windows are heavily tinted. What is more likely, an overheating condition, or a HDD error?

I have only had the system installed for a few months.

Actually, come to think of it, I can use the "SOURCE" button on the remote to access the music on the HDD... so it CAN'T be a HDD issue, right? Any other thoughts?
I have had this same problem... funny thing is that the temperature at which the thing freezes up ranges... For the first month I had the unit I was in florida mostly and it was fine, then i came back to St. Louis, installed the ducatiboy bypass and everything was fine for two weeks... then wow freezing started happening all the time.

I thought it was related to the bypass and just sent them a tech support email, but I guess maybe it wasn't related to that at all

I would think that pioneer would have some way to work on this as I have never heard of this being a problem with any other head unit until the z1
I replied to your email (I'm sminntech if you didn't know) :) but I honestly don't think that the freezing is related to the flasher at all. You can pull it out if you want to make yourself feel better. But all I'm doing is telling the Z1 that you flashed your lights. It's possible that it doesn't like that and is freezing trying to unlock it's settings in software but I HIGHLY doubt this. I think it's something with the hard drive. That's just my guess, the boot up screen is just about where it switches to the hard drive for information. And I would guess that the hard drive, no matter how "automotive" it is, is the weakest link on the Z1.
  • 2 weeks later...
to me maybe sounds like a voltage problem. when a car battery is low on voltage you might be able to start your car. but it causes problems for aftermarket electronics. you get alot of variables and it is too complicated to do the math with all the ohms laws and crap. check voltage on your car batteries. sometimes you send too much or not enough to your units and they have problems. just my too cents but its one of those things that is hard to find and hard to see no matter what troubleshooting you do. if you call pioneer they will tell you the specs on what voltage is required for the unit to operate properly.