AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 Freezing at Pioneer Load Up Screen!

you know, mine worked fine until just after the bypass install. Im going to back and check the wiring because I could definitely see my friend who did it having left a loose connection that could be causing a slight problem.

I'll check all of it this week and let everyone know if that solved my problem...
First I would like to say I have read alot of this forum and have learned alot about the Z1 from you guys thanks.

I was about to purchase the Z1 today but now I am rethinking the purchase. The car stereo shop/installer recommended staying away from the Pioneer because he said he has seen alot need to be sent in for repairs. He recommended the Eclipse unit. However I was pretty much stuck on the Z1 and came here to learn if what he was saying is true. Then this thread came with alot of people saying the screen freezes up during boot up. Also having to worry about the extreme weather before the HDD works.

Are these fairly common problems. I now reside in NJ so the weather is not that extreme, however I may move to Florida and have to deal with the heat. Should I stay away from the Z1 ??? Help I dont't want to make the wrong purchase. I want something dependable for that kind of money.
I really don't think its the hard drive. Whenever I have the problem with it freezing at the loading screen my library which is stored on the hard drive will still play. The shop who installed mine did not do the best job. I'm planning on redoing all of the connectors they installed by soldering them and wrapping them in electrical tape. I also will do the same with the Valentine 1 I installed. I do know that my V1 install is a little shoddy. I used vampire connectors and one of them is a little loose. You can jiggle the wire and the detector will turn on and off. If that doesn't work then yes I'm going to take it take it back under warranty. As long as I don't have to shell out more money its cool.

One thing I do not like about the Z1 though is the fact that it has no security whatsoever. I'm not sure about the Eclipse nav unit, but I had a head unit in the past. It had a feature where you put in a CD of your choice and the head unit reads data from it. This then becomes your security CD. If power to the head unit is ever disconnected (not just by turning the car off you would have to uninstall the head unit or disconnect the battery), it will require the security CD to unlock. If you lose the CD you have to send the unit to Eclipse to be unlocked. Sure it may only keep a stereo theif from stealing it if they know about the security system, but its better than nothing.
Yeah most of the eclipse nav units have the esn feature. Basically you turn that on and insert a cd. The unit reads the toc off that cd and if the unit loses power you must reinsert that cd in order to regain functionality. I would recommend using a store bought cd though so if you lose or damage the disc you can purchase a new one.
Not to bag on your installer, but is it possible he is steering you towards eclipse because there is more margin in it for him? The Z1 is hands down a better unit than the eclipse with the exception of the security and the preout voltage. Those two positives are not nearly enough to outweigh the negatives on the eclipse.

Although there is obviously an issue here with a handful of people's units freezing up, keep in mind that Pioneer will probably sell a pretty ridiculous number of Z1s in the US this year (our rep says 50,000+.) So a handful isn't bad when you consider that satisfied customers rarely voice their opinion on the web, whereas unsatisfied will tell everyone they can. I think you will find that reliability on Pioneers are the same if not better than eclipse.

[quote name="Gunzz"]First I would like to say I have read alot of this forum and have learned alot about the Z1 from you guys thanks.

I was about to purchase the Z1 today but now I am rethinking the purchase. The car stereo shop/installer recommended staying away from the Pioneer because he said he has seen alot need to be sent in for repairs. He recommended the Eclipse unit. However I was pretty much stuck on the Z1 and came here to learn if what he was saying is true. Then this thread came with alot of people saying the screen freezes up during boot up. Also having to worry about the extreme weather before the HDD works.

Are these fairly common problems. I now reside in NJ so the weather is not that extreme, however I may move to Florida and have to deal with the heat. Should I stay away from the Z1 ??? Help I dont't want to make the wrong purchase. I want something dependable for that kind of money.[/quote]