AVIC411.com

Why does the navi suck so bad?

I love my avics but why does the navigation portion suck so badly? It is VERY rare that I can set a destination without this thing taking me some screwed up way. Last night put the icing on the cake when I used it to take me to the nearest Chilis restaurant. Basically, I was on the last leg of the drive (I knew where the Chilis was I was just trying the nav) and Chilis was about .5 mile ahead. Instead of saying destination ahead on the left it took me an entire block AFTER the destination, made me drive through a neighborhood block and get back on the same road and to the destination!!!! oh, this was all after it made me turn the wrong way after getting off the highway only to do a u-turn when I could have just turned right after getting off the highway (again I did turn right since I knew where I was going).
One other thing I find it doing is if I am on a straight road navigating, it will tell me to make a slight right turn ahead when the F'in road doesnt even turn or isnt even at an intersection!!!!!!

Sorry for the long post but as much as I like the Avic units this thing is really starting to upset me more and more. I have had the N1, D1, and now N2 (with N3 software) and they are all the same - HORRIBLE!

Anyone know what the deal is with these things? I have friends that have OEM nav units in there cars, and my moms and sisters Grand Cherokees have OEM nav and never have I seen one that does some of the things my Avic does.
I am having the same problems. I have tried the return home twice and both times it came up with some stupid directions. Once it even sent me down a dead end road that was 5 miles from my house. It is fun to play with but I would be afraid to rely on it somewhere that I wasnt sure of the location already.
[quote name="Dubbedown"]might have to do with the type of route you prefer... shortest distance vs shortest time.

shortest distance may not equate into shortest time if it takes you through the local roads and such[/quote]

I have tried rerouting using different methods and it does the same old crap. The issues im speaking dont actually have anything to do with shortest distance or fastest route. Try and picture this, why on earth would the navigation make you turn the completely wrong direction, only to have you do a u-turn to go back the way you could have orginally turned? The more and more I use this thing the more and more I hate it. The other day I tried to find a Taco Bell (I am out of town for work) so I honostly did not know where one was. I used vicinity search and it found two Taco Bells within three miles. I selected one, followed the route only to arrive at a gas station with no fast food in site. So I tried the other Taco Bell. Same F'in story no Taco Bell. I am using the latest nav DVD from a N3, the installation was done perfectly by me (I am also a MECP certified installer). I am real close to finally giving up on Pioneer navigation. So far in my experience it is pretty much useless (except for the great mapping).
Does anyone else have any input on this?
[quote name="JTS97Z28"]
Try and picture this, why on earth would the navigation make you turn the completely wrong direction, only to have you do a u-turn to go back the way you could have orginally turned? [/quote]

ahhh... i got this 2x when i left the mall and was getting on the freeway. it was a mall i had never been to so it made me go in the wrong direction, and then a uturn back to the right direction. all i know is that it only happens at this same location...

i heard that if you do not your purple wire is not connected properly, whenever you take a sharp turn/uturn or reverse, your navi settings won't be accurate. and this may have been the case for me... as soon as the light hit green, i made a quick turn leaving the mall, the navi might've not updated itself as to where i was, and gave me the wrong directions, only to figure out eventually i was heading the opposite way?
The only thing the purple wire does is give a 12volt+ signal to tell the avic when to switch into rear camera view (if you have the camera). Thus, why it gets hooked up to a reverse signal (like your reverse lights). The unit shouldnt even do this if the pink speed sense wire wasnt hooked up. Seems to me these routing errors are all defects in the unit itself. Absolutely horrible and IMO not acceptible.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]The ires don't have nything to do with it. I ran my d1 for 3 months without the reverse and speed sense hooked since I didn't have the time to hook them up. It's more than likely incorrect information on the navigation discs though.[/quote]

Yeah you are more than likely correct. I did notice that in the areas where the navi was acting up the road mapping was awkward and not correct (or the destination was not where it should be). So im wondering where the real problem lies then? Obviously the mapping is not up to par and is what is causing the navi to mess up.
in toronto here i found the 60mp software (from the 40mt) seems to be slightly more accurate, like where my arrow is on the map vs where my car is etc...im sure all this is software related and gets updated the best pioneer can.

its that tele atlas company you guys hsould contact
Umm, you guys with the n3, are you having these problems also with your nav..I heard nothing but shitty things about this nav and to be frank, its pissing me off and bumming me right out cause I am getting my installed today. Please tell me the n3 is not like this?
[quote name="Cyress"]Umm, you guys with the n3, are you having these problems also with your nav..I heard nothing but shitty things about this nav and to be frank, its pissing me off and bumming me right out cause I am getting my installed today. Please tell me the n3 is not like this?[/quote]

on a forum like this, you're naturally going to see alot of "issues" but that's why this forum was created. to look for answers to questions/issues and mods/hacks. but i've been happy with my n1 so far and even more satisified after upgrading to n3 software. and by end of week, i should have tricked the hu so ic an still watch movies/nav functions while car's in motion.
I love my N1 with new software installed.
No Nav systems are perfect. They cant be. Its a friggin machine.

But it does get you from point A to point B, and helps you around cities you are unsure about.

Im not really sold on the finding restaurants and stuff though. But if you cant find a McDonalds without your Avic then maybe you should be taking public transit...

Dont worry Cy, you are gunna LOVE IT!!
Sorry to scare you so much about the avics I didnt mean to. I absolutely love the unit (besides most of the nav features), and it has GREAT full colored mapping. I am currently using the N3 software in my N2 so yes the N3 is not perfect as far as the navi goes. If you stay away from using vicinity search and dont mind the occasional long stroll through a neighborhood for no reason then you will love it. :lol:
  • 2 weeks later...
*Sarcasm* Yeah, the avic won't tell me there's a cop around the corner, and let off my cruise control... I use my N-1 for years, and still like it. Sometimes it doesn't know a new road, but that will soon change when I figure out my issue other thread... so I can use 60 software. Can someone post what the full model of the 60 series disc is, so I can make sure I have the right one? (sorry to hijack thread)