AVIC411.com

Ok, here is an interesting question. I installed my Z1 last weekend and everthing went well, including Ducatiboy's bypass circuit. Day before yesterday something odd happend, the Z1 is in night mode, like the headlights are always on. Previously, the system was fine, like when the headlights off, the screen is full bright, when headlights are on,the Z1 dimmed. Starting the other day though, the Z1 thinks the headlights are always on, EXCEPT when you put the car in reverse!! When you put the car in reverse, the screen/map moves into day mode. Any ideas why????
Wow, that's weird. With my circuit installed it takes over when to put the Z1 into night mode.... so at first I would have thought it was that. But when the car is in reverse, I don't know if that would normally take it out of night mode... I don't think it does. I have the backup camera, I will unhook it from my truck and see if reverse mode will take a unit out of night mode.

Right now I have no reason for that, other than to try unhooking my circuit from the ILL wire on the Z1 and see if it goes back to day mode. Then hook up the orange wire back to the Z1's ill wire and see if it goes back to night mode. Then unhook the wite wire and see if it goes back to day mode.
Yes, but it's possible that my circuit failed after a few days and something happened where it forced the Z1 into thinking the headlights are always on. But if this happens the lockouts would be back. It's pretty much impossible for my circuit to fail and force the Z1 into night mode and it still bypasses the lockouts.

Go to MENU

Count the number of buttons grayed out. There should be the right most 2 and possibly the destination history one (or something like that) if you haven't plotted any destinations before. if you have more than 3 grayed out then the bypass is not working either and most likely it's a failed circuit.

You sure you aren't just driving around with your lights on? :)
How does the Z1 handle daytime running lights. I think I have finally found an installer here in Maryland that will install your flasher for me, but he's not sure if my vehicle will work with it. It's a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport. There are 4 light modes to choose from (including an automatic mode). There are also fog lights to deal with. What things do we have to worry about in order to have your flasher work properly in that scenario?
[quote name="dcarrington01"]Ok, here is an interesting question. I installed my Z1 last weekend and everthing went well, including Ducatiboy's bypass circuit. Day before yesterday something odd happend, the Z1 is in night mode, like the headlights are always on. Previously, the system was fine, like when the headlights off, the screen is full bright, when headlights are on,the Z1 dimmed. Starting the other day though, the Z1 thinks the headlights are always on, EXCEPT when you put the car in reverse!! When you put the car in reverse, the screen/map moves into day mode. Any ideas why????[/quote]

First, the reverse day mode thing. That's very weird. That shouldn't happen. I took out my backup camera but I have the reverse sense line still connected, but putting it into reverse does not matter (in fact you can't even program the polarity of the reverse signal without a backup camera). So I don't think that the reverse sense works unless you have a camera installed. I think I'll find a big empty parking lot and drive fast in reverse and see if the arrow goes backwards. That might let me/us know if the reverse sense wire works without a camera installed.

As for your night all the time and day in reverse... are you sure it's not something physical? Like my circuit is next to the gear shifter and it's pinching the circuit or something? Are you sure it's connected correctly? It sounds like it's either not connected correctly or some of the wires disconnected themselves or shorted to something else....

We might need to remove the radio and get back in there and start disconnecting things to test what is going on with your setup.

[quote name="rapayn1"]How does the Z1 handle daytime running lights. I think I have finally found an installer here in Maryland that will install your flasher for me, but he's not sure if my vehicle will work with it. It's a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport. There are 4 light modes to choose from (including an automatic mode). There are also fog lights to deal with. What things do we have to worry about in order to have your flasher work properly in that scenario?[/quote]

As for the bypass feature, it won't matter. Putting it into night mode... that's another issue. My circuit will work as well as the Z1 in any car that it's put into. If your installer thinks he will have trouble with my circuit then he would have had trouble with the Z1 alone. The Z1 has a ILL sense wire to tell it when to put it into night mode. What ever he would have hooked that wire from the Z1 to, you hook the white input wire of my circuit to. Then the output (orange) of my circuit to the ILL input wire of the Z1. Generally the ILL wire for your interior will turn on "at night" or "when it's dark" based on how your car is wired. If your car's interior lights turn on/dim at the right time you want to tap off the signal for those. You can hook them to the 12V positive parking brake lights, usually those come on only when it's dark out. But every car is different. I tried to make my circuit work off the dimmer signal to the lights behind the dash and console, you can try hooking it to that. But the fact I don't know how every car works means that I can't guarantee that that connection point will work with every car.
Similar thing happened to me couple of weeks ago. My display would act like it was in night mode all the time. It would change for an instant to normal mode when I would put the car in reverse, after a moment I would pick up the rear camera picture.
After looking at the wiring I found that the ground wire from the bypass module had come lose. I grounded the wire and have not had problem since. Look at all of the ground wires to make sure all are grounded properly.

Hope this helps
[quote name="nomi"]After looking at the wiring I found that the ground wire from the bypass module had come lose. I grounded the wire and have not had problem since. Look at all of the ground wires to make sure all are grounded properly. [/quote]

That's an excelent thing to check. That's very possible.
OK, turns out there was 3.3v on the illumination circuit from the time the ignition was put to the on position. Troubleshot everything and found that if I grounded one of the wires in the illumination circuit, the voltage went back down to 0v. The FJ Cruiser has electro-lumenescent gauges, and needs a - illumination lead, an when I conneceted up the Z1, it didn't have a negative illumination lead. Problem solved! Thanks!