AVIC411.com

D3 Questions for Owners

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here and I am looking for some opinions...

This is going to be the first headunit I have ever replaced in car and I was looking at the AVIC-D3. To me it seems like a pretty good one for the price. I have a couple questions though...

1. From what I have read you can only use the navigation or listen to CDs one at a time, correct? While using navigation you would still be able to use the Aux?

2. Can you load mp3s into the memory base on the D3 for playback while using the nav?

3. The buttons on my steering wheel (2008 VW GTI MKV) I am assuming will be rendered useless without some sort of plug and play device... Any idea where to order one?

Any other recommendations that you guys would say? As I said this is the first one I am ever changing out and I am looking to keep it fairly inexpensive. Basic features are for the DVD playback, Minor nav usage, bluetooth (with the adapter) and style.

Oh also one quick thing. I have read here that the D3 is done by June? I am in Canada so to pick one up here is around $1000, then $250 for the bluetooth. I can pick up the set on eBay for about $800. I was thinking of going that route. With them being discontinued is it worth the wait for them to go on clearance?

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here and I am looking for some opinions...

This is going to be the first headunit I have ever replaced in car and I was looking at the AVIC-D3. To me it seems like a pretty good one for the price. I have a couple questions though...

1. From what I have read you can only use the navigation or listen to CDs one at a time, correct? While using navigation you would still be able to use the Aux?

Correct... most people resolve that issue by using a iPod. The iPod interface for the D3 is awesome, you can access all your songs at once and also all your videos (you can convert dvds and put them on your iPod also). As for the AUX question... I'm pretty sure Nav continues to work no matter what AV source you have selected. I know for a fact that Nav still works on the iPod, Radio, and Bluetooth Phone sources.

2. Can you load mp3s into the memory base on the D3 for playback while using the nav?

Negative, the D3 doesn't have a harddrive... and you can't load songs to the limited flash memory it has (used for storing your address book, etc.)

3. The buttons on my steering wheel (2008 VW GTI MKV) I am assuming will be rendered useless without some sort of plug and play device... Any idea where to order one?

No clue on that one, other people have gotten their OEM controls working with the D3 so they'll know

Any other recommendations that you guys would say? As I said this is the first one I am ever changing out and I am looking to keep it fairly inexpensive. Basic features are for the DVD playback, Minor nav usage, bluetooth (with the adapter) and style.

Oh also one quick thing. I have read here that the D3 is done by June? I am in Canada so to pick one up here is around $1000, then $250 for the bluetooth. I can pick up the set on eBay for about $800. I was thinking of going that route. With them being discontinued is it worth the wait for them to go on clearance?

Thanks in advance everyone!

6ave.com is where I got mine like 5 months ago... it was $650, pretty nice compared to Best Buys $1000 price tag. Check them out, the price might still be that low.

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I live in Rural Saskatchewan, basically a Best Buy is my only option. eBay has a couple of the D3s with Bluetooth, iPod cable and remote for $750 with $65 shipping. That 6ave.com I have never heard of but they are $775 for the same pack. Gonna check and see how much shipping is cause in all honestly, right now Future Shop here has the D3 for $850 on sale.

I also don't do any traveling yet so the nav is low need right now, once I start going places, I will buy an iPod to solve the whole nav + music issue.

As it appears 6ave.com doesn't have a ship to Canada option. I will try and contact them and see. It sucks cause our dollar is pretty much par with the American dollar at this time and yet things are still $400 more.

Oh also, anyone know if you were to put a bunch of mp3s onto a DVD, does this player support and play those? I hate buying CDs. Haha.

Also since you are not getting a iPod right away you can set a route and then it will auto-save to the D3s memory. You can then take the Nav DVD out and put in a music CD. You have to put the nav dvd back in if you want to make major changes to the route.

Also since you are not getting a iPod right away you can set a route and then it will auto-save to the D3s memory. You can then take the Nav DVD out and put in a music CD. You have to put the nav dvd back in if you want to make major changes to the route.

That's good to know as well. Yeah I will probably wait a bit for those 32GB or 16GB iPod touches to come down in price. Haha.

Hmm not sure about that one... I have tons of extra blank DVDs, lemme test it out. BTW 6ave.com is showing a price of $589.00 for the D3 for me.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PIOAVICD3

Ah yeah I was looking at the bundle with the D3, bluetooth, ipod cable and remote. Might as well get them all shipped to me. Way cheaper that way.

And yeah if you wouldn't mind finding out about the DVD for me that would be great.

Ya, anyways just burned a mp3 dvd. First time I've seen the disc interface, it was pretty slick. Here are some low res cell phone pics I took.

04-05-08_0115.jpg

04-05-08_0116.jpg

04-05-08_0117.jpg

So ya DVD mp3 discs work. You can view the details of the MP3 (albumn, etc) and theres also a folder button so you can easily navigate a DVD that is organized with folders.

I just got done installing a D3 in my MKV GTI. There is a wiring harness pioneer makes that is plug and play with NO splicing to the factory harness. Only problem it is not sold in the US for some reason. I bought mine here: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... o=CARPI221

You can't order form the website though. I contacted their customer service via e-mail and they were very fast to respond and made the process smooth. You'll want a google checkout account if you don't have one though.

And you WILL have to cut on that adapter. You will need to cut both of the plastic adapters and connect to the D3 harness wires with whatever connector type you choose. I got a little nervous when I started cutting on a $100 adapter, but it has worked flawless for me. With the steering wheel controls, you only get volume and mute though. You cannot change the track.

I might be able to answer other questions if you have them since I just recently did the install. If you come up with a custom illumination color that matches the VW blue, please let me know. I can't seem to get a good match.