AVIC411.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically the biggest question I have is the navigation, specifically, the routing capabilities. I found that Highways and Interstate/Freeways are treated as the same type of roads for routing. The problem being is that most highways are full of traffic lights, where Freeway/Interstate roads do not have lights. This is can of course be addressed by the driver by ignoring the route posted, but then is annoyed by a barrage of re-routing and U-Turn audibles until the unit catches up with you. But this only works when the driver is familiar with the roads, not when they are exploring new territory. So is there some thought of improving the routing algorithms in the near future?

My second question deals with map updates, specifically release dates. The latest update, for the AVIC-Z1, was/is the CNDV-700HD. This item was scheduled to be made available to the public approximately in the middle of 2007 shortly after the release of the AVIC-Z2? However, plagued with manufacturing and availability problems, the update disk was released at a much later date. It should also be noted that the disk was only recently made available for purchase on Pioneer's own webpage in the early months of 2008! Now that an AVIC-Z3 is to be released, (it would also be nice to see this on the Pioneer webpage as well), is it expected that there will be similar delays with an update disk for this year? Is there a scheduled release date? Will it be available for purchase on the Pioneer webpage near the release of the AVIC-Z3?

Thank you very much for your help……

bill

I'm mostly concerned with a firmware update to the D3. The navigation is in serious need of reprogramming, and it has nothing to do with the map data. Even something so simple as "shortest distance", the D3 can not do. For example, entering a destination and selecting shortest distance might give a route that is 20 miles long, but ignoring a turn or driving a different direction will give a route 13 miles long. Shortest distance means shortest distance, no matter what, but the D3 is obviously not programmed that way.

Any update on a D3 upgrade or similar unit that would allow for dvd/cd play back with a dedicated nav drive would be great, I think that would be the best upgrade for the current unit.

These will be the AVIC F-900BT, 90BT (Premiere) and 700BT. Suppose to be available around may or june. Im sure there will be info released at the road show as well and posted here.

Two items of thought not mentioned yet (other than a NON apple cable to watch my videos on my D3, I only want one cable in my car, not two, thank you) would be any thought to a cable that would plug in to the AV input on the front to a standrd 1/8" stereo plug so I don't have a bunch of RCAs laying on my console; and I would maybe suggest a user variable speed adjusted volume control. We already have the VSS connected (don't we?) so it would be a software thing (I would think anyway).

Basically the biggest question I have is the navigation, specifically, the routing capabilities. I found that Highways and Interstate/Freeways are treated as the same type of roads for routing. The problem being is that most highways are full of traffic lights, where Freeway/Interstate roads do not have lights. This is can of course be addressed by the driver by ignoring the route posted, but then is annoyed by a barrage of re-routing and U-Turn audibles until the unit catches up with you. But this only works when the driver is familiar with the roads, not when they are exploring new territory. So is there some thought of improving the routing algorithms in the near future?l

Yes, the new models have a new routing algorithm. This also apparently fixes the issue of the vicinity search giving locations that are in the wrong direction.