AVIC411.com

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest astrobill

Doesn't it bother any of you who kept the AVIC D3's that the new F whatever series probably needs all new accessories for XM tuning, etc. It's probably not even compatible with the hundreds of dollars of satellite tuners and other addons that everyone bought for the D3 (which they're not bothering to even sell anymore, I notice).

• 1 month later...

I just saw the Avic-F90BT in a store and noticed something that really bothered me.

There are no phone numbers in any of the POI (Points of Interest) data. The unit shows the name and address of the business, but no phone number.

I contacted Pioneer to see if there was some configuration needed to show the phone numbers and was told that there are no phone numbers on POI data. I was told this decision to ommit phone numbers was made by the product planning / marketing department.

To me this is a major problem. This greatly reduces the usefulness of having POIs.

For example, if you are looking for a hotel using POI, you can't call ahead to make a reservaton...you have to drive there to see if they have rooms. You can't call a restaurant to see if they are open. Can't call ahead to order a pizza and have it ready. Planning a trip or taking a trip becomes a lot more difficult when you don't have any phone numbers for POIs.

It seems odd to give you bluetooth to help integrate your GPS with your phone and then fail to give you any phone numbers to call. Lacking phone numbers on the POIs also makes the value of having bluetooth go down.

Do all the Avic-F series lack phone numbers on POIs?

Has Pioneer done this in the past and later added phone numbers? I looked at older AVIC units at the stores and they had the phone data.

Is this a marketing tactic that Pioneer normally does to make people buy future update disks to get phone numbers? Or if the unit doesn't have phone numbers now, does that mean you can't get phone numbers added later in future disc updates? Is this going to be a temporary problem or a long term problem?

Also, if you are concerned about this missing feature, maybe you should contact Pioneer. I'm really suprised that there are no phone numbers on POIs.

Most other GPS brands I've used have all included phone numbers with the POIs data. It really suprised me that a high-end, feature-rich GPS unit lacks something that I just assumed would be part of their features. To me, having phone numbers in the POI is more important than having bluetooth and it really suprises me this data was omitted.

What do think?

Will the AVIC-F900BT fit the 2007 E Class Mercedes ? I am thinking about remove the stock head units and use the AVIC-F900BT.

Will all function the same as the mercedes totally different ?

Does anyone has pictures installed on E Class?

NEW! EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK! CLICK HERE: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15450

Pioneer has just announced a new series of navigation units, the AVIC F series! They will be released in June.

Available as a hybrid (indash and portable) or as a indash only.

Models:

AVIC-F500BT (aka LINC) Hybrid Unit

AVIC-F700BT (CD Playback)

AVIC-F900BT (DVD Playback with MSN Direct)

Features:

Incredible new high res interface

All flash based (no nav dvd or cd)

All F series have integrated Bluetooth that auto pulls all contacts from the phone, iPhone included, I tested it.

SD Card slot for music/videos

USB connection for iPod/iPhone (videos work too)

Voice Command and Text to speech thanks to VoiceBox Technologies (similar to Microsoft Sync)

MSN Direct for gas prices/traffic/movie times/weather (only on F900)

Much better mapping, including 3D maps.

Many more little features

Video Demonstration from Matt at Pioneer: http://avic411.com/files/avicfdemo.MPG

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avic411/se ... 628170829/

The pictures in the Mercedes are of the F500BT (hybrid unit)

Quick Start Guide (found by gartz666)

http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/pees ... QSG-EN.pdf

Some press pics:

(login required to view)

The phone numbers are in there. If you're phone is sync'd, you just press Call POI

Thanks for responding, bobsyouruncle

Are the phone numbers shown on POI's along with the address?

The salesperson at the store tried pairing a cell phone with the Avic-F90bt unit and it didn't seem to have any affect.

Doesn't surprise me that Pioneer would say something so damned stupid. They regularly don't know shit about there own products. There are most definitely phone numbers associated with the POI's. While on the map screen touch the POI of interest and the red circle will appear over the POI. Then hit the info window to the right and it will open another screen which will give you the green phone icon at the bottom right of the screen. Hit that phone icon and it will dial the number associated with that POI.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps this is already been stated somewhere on the forum. If it has please direct me to the proper thread.

I have a D3 and was eager to upgrade to an F900bt or F90bt. From what I've read here and on other sites it appears the functionality of these two units is in question. Some state that the firmware fix has solved the problems while others state problems still exist. I'm not talking about the slow boot or start up issue as I can accept that seeing the unit is compared to a computer that boots. What I want to know is it worth buying and does it function as promised or as advertised?

1. Which is better the F900bt or the F90bt? I understand the extended warranty, included cable and 4volt output but other then that do the units perform the same with Voice recognition, Blue tooth etc? Can I assume they are identical and have identical issues and problems?

2. Has the Blue tooth problem been solved? sound quality? connection issues?

3. Voice Recognition "VR" does it work as promised, does it work with Navigation, Ipod and Bluetooth phone?

If the answer were simple one would not read the posts from those who have given up totally and not looked back on the F series. Then those who state it has issues but they learned to deal with it. Finally those who seem to think the only issue is slow boot.

Thanks for your input. Sorry if this is answered somewhere else and I did not post in the right place. :D