AVIC411.com

Hey guys... My first post..please read!

Ok, I need to make a quick decision and I thought I would ask the avic experts for help. My situation: I just bought an avic-d3 from best buy for $699 with no interest financing and right when I was about to have it installed I found a deal on a Z1 for $700. Its used but in excellent shape and it has what I need to install it in my 350z. i have a couple questions and concerns so if I could get some help I would really appreciate it!

--Do you think this is a good deal? would you wait and get the new series that just came out, stay with the d3(i dont really care about changing discs) or go with the z1.

--Is it much trouble to do the bypass mod so my "passengers" wont have any problem using the unit and watching dvd's?

--How much does it normally cost to get this thing installed without all the extra bells and whistles by a competant installer? If anyone has suggestions for the Atlanta area or if you live in the area and know how to install it let me know and we can work out a deal!

Oh and I did try the search but it was just way too much to look through and I didnt find the results I wanted so please help a noob out and I hope

I dont get a bunch of replies about using the search or anything like what the pic illustrates..

post-18418-12872754309489_thumb.jpg

If i were you I would just get the z3 at http://www.cartronixplus.com/templates/detailnf_price.cfm?zq=5963507&uas=N&globaldesc=na&rnumb=1885&wherefrom=SEARCH&whichord=573263&department=ALL&class=N&special=R&sold=N&nextrow=Pioneer%20AVIC%2DZ3avicz3&prevrow=Pioneer%20AVIC%2DZ3avicz3&nextprev=0&subclass=ALL&subname=na&pagename=Online%20Store%20%3E%20%20ALL%20%3E%20 for like 1300 .. but if you didn't want to spend that much find a z2 on ebay or something, i'm sure you can get a nice package with a lot of connectors for 1000..I dont think 700 is worth to get for a z1 ..and bypass is easy.. with all instructions listed here.

thx for the reply, unfortunately I am a college student and this is really all that I can afford on this right now. Isnt the z1 an upgrade away from being the z3 though? I saw a hard drive replacement on ebay for 200 and buddy claims that it will bump a z1/z2 up to z3?? Anyone else care to comment on anything else?

your picture LOL

i dont know if they still have it, but i bought the z2x package from 6thave for $1200 and sold the camera for $150 so the z2+ndbt1 only cost me $1050. The d3 may have a better ipod interface (i dont care) but i MUCH prefer the hdd on the z series instead of having to swap dvds and such. I also like the larger screen, hence i will never switch to the new F series.

the 2 wire mod to allow use while in motion is super easy on the z series, especially if not even installed yet!

i believe the z1 is just an upgrade away from z3 status, and you dont NEED the $200 ebay hdd, just buy a $60 newegg one and burn the image onto it.

Abe

this is a great board and you guys have been very helpful. Just another reason I love the f'n internet! I had to pass on that z1 bc I couldnt get my paypal to work fast enough and the seller wanted it gone. But I am still interested in the refurb route.. I wonder what the quality of the refurbs are and how often people have problems with them cuz I definately dont wanna have to rip this thing out after spending time on an install that is prob a little over my head.

Oh yeah and big floppy or anyone who has experience with both the d3 and the z1, Is there a big difference in screen resolution, i know the z1 has a larger screen but making the jump would be a lot more appealing if my dvds and xbox games are going to look much clearer on the z1. Thx guys!

I haven't seen the D series in action, but I don't think the screen size difference plays any role in the difference of resolution. My Z1/3 looks amazing!

As for the question on refurbs vs. new - I used to swear by only buying new, but over the past few years my views have changed. I manage a service department for an Audio Visual company that specializes in new tech gear; Plasmas, LCD's, Video COnferencing etc. and I've seen better quality refurbed gear than new. There's one projector manufacturer for instance, that replaces warranty items with refurbed gear. The thing I realized is that refurbed gear has been back to the mfr. and repaired/tested and sent out like a new piece. They cannot charge you for new prices because it's now considered B-Stock. The B-Stock gear has the bugs worked out and is usually more up to date with software/firmware. Now that's on the professional level, Pioneer and the mobile audio division is on consumer level, but the same detail should be in place as pro.

You take your chances either way, because electronics are fickle.

BTW - I've had my Z1 for about 3 months and no problems. I'm not expecting any either :wink:

Later,

B-F