AVIC411.com

Did Pioneer turn their backs on the D3???

The only complaint i have so far is the D3 mapping software.

As mentioned. it's downright retarded on a lot of the routes. "fastest" should automatically take me to the nearest highway instead of busy downtown streets just to save me 3 Km's.

However, I have activated the "show multiple routes" option, and now i can select one of 6 routes when i enter the destination, i find that one of the routes tends to be pretty good. I recommend using this option instead of letting the D3 pick for you.

In the end, I think Pioneer did themselves a large disservice to themselves by attemtping to use their own Navigation software instead of a tried and tested proven one such as Navtech or Garmin. I have an Axim handheld windows device using Navteq's software for Dell, and even being 4 or 5 years old, has far more features. 3 different 3d mapping modes, ability to record routes, faster routing, and better routing. I ditched using it cause i wanted an integrated all in one device, which the D3 provided,

I was tired of having 3 different window mounts. the Axim mounted, the sirius tuner mounted, and the ipod mounted. Now, it's all one neat device

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have noticed on my D3 recently is that when I'm driving on the highway and I go from the collectors to the express lane, it takes a while to realize I'm in the express. Don't know what's up with that though.

same, it uses the "dead recognition" for lcoation a lot more than it needs to. GPS is supposed to be accurate within 5 - 10ft of your current location. My dell had no problems with this, But my D3 has problems telling when i'm going on or off the collectors / Express, or on certain ramps. Especially confusing the Gardiner and Lakeshore a lot because they're nearly on top of eachother.

Again, the Navteq Dell had NO problems with this

Seriously, Pioneer, hope this was a good lesson

I wonder if XM is gonna come up wit a device like the GEXP10 and offer both Navtraffic and XMWeather like the new TSX have. That would be sweet. I take it Pioneer would have to come up with some upgrade software to add to the D3 to allow it to be compatible. Hopefully the D3 gets it.

i POD classic works fine with D3. Havent tried video yet, just music.

That was my point, the D3 is not compatible with either the ipod classic or the touch/iphone because it doesn't do video. I don't consider that working fine... ;)

That being Pioneer's fault how?

Reading some of these posts, it seems people expect technology to work like appliances do. You buy it once and everything stands still. These aren't refrigerators guys, they are complicated pieces of technology that interface with other complicated pieces of technology.

Apple introduces new models of iPods and iPhones more often than most people buy groceries. Apple also likes to change the game frequently too, my guess it to deal with hacking of their software. There is no way Pioneer could keep up with that. They would have to produce firmware updates twice a year. Then people would complain about how buggy it is just like they do with Apple's updates.

These are toys, and toys like this become obsolete. Pioneers answer to the shortcomings of the D3 is the new F series. All of this coming from a recent buyer of a D3. It does what I need now, and if it won't work with my next generation of toys, I'll either replace it or keep it. It sure does way more than the factory head unit replaced it with.

I've never had a problem with the mapping, however, the iPod menu button issue is one that should really be addressed through a patch/update. This is where the "menu" button on the iPod play screen becomes non-functional after you stop and restart the car. This has been an issue from the get go and I don't think Apple had anything to do with it.

While it's true that Apple has nothing to do with their items not working with pioneer's product, it is up to Pioneer to support their products that they hype as being the cutting edge in technology. If you say it works with the iPod and will control it, then it's up to you to support your claims and offer the correct patches or updates to make your product work correctly and not just replace it with a new unit unless you're going to replace the old unit you sold with a new one. The only other option is to list the known problem so the buyer can decide if he wants to deal with them. Pioneer doesn't want to support it but they still sell it with it's problems and still doesn't mention the problems. That's why there is no brand loyalty anymore.

Overall, its still a good deal for the average user, especially when you can get the unit, ipod cable, bluetooth module, install kit and connectors for under $800

Guest astrobill

Guys:

Just take a look at this month's Crutchfield catalog to see how much ALL OTHER companies have gone WAY BEYOND the D3 with features, usability, and options. And all for not much more than we all paid for our D3's originally.

While we all wrestled with he AVIC-D3's SERIOUSLY screwed-up problems, Pioneer ditched it and moved on. It's unsupported, and Pioneer has left everyone in the desert with it.

For example, the D3s Bluetooth NEVER worked right. It doesn't work with half the phones the competitions' models work with. And the AVIC-D3 NEVER plays the voice dialing prompts from ANY of our phones, making it totally unusable AND UNSAFE for hands-free dialing since you can't hear your phone's directions telling you what your options are -- or who it thinks you asked it to dial.

Moreover, it's been 14 months since the original map disk was made Where's the update?? My neighboor's $200 TomTom gets free map updates every couple of months from one of the same map services Pioneer supposedly uses -- while Pioneer has totally s-rewed everybody and left their customer base hanging.

For not much more than the AVIC-D3 costed us originally, you can get the new Alpine/Blackbird models, the Kenwoods, and the Eclipses, all of which are AMAZINGLY better than any AVIC model, with REALLY SLICK menyus and graphics, voice-recognition. All of the new models are already better than Pioneer's F-series AVIC supposedly coming out in June.

I've already replaced the AVIC with the latest Kenwood 51XX, and it's like night and day...what a joy to be free of the buggy AVIC!