AVIC411.com

cheap bypass for D3?

I haven't done the bypass because I thought using the park brake would be undetectable by the cops. When I see a cop I put the handle down & everything operates the way it normally should. Kind of a fool proof bypass... as long as there is no extra wear on the brake.

Actually, unless your crazy enough to play a DVD while driving in front of a law enforcement officer, there is pretty much nothing that can happen. If you turn the unit off before than can see it playing, they would have to have a warrant to be able to "investigate" your unit. Cops are not allowed to just go into your vehicle without permision unless in the seach or dangerous weapons within your imediate vicinity, and then they can only look for what is in plain site and easily accessible, for example, no opening the glove box or any other boxes etc in your vehicle, that would require a warrant. In case your wondering where I get this info from, I was a Shift Commander (Rank of Lieutentant) for my local Sheriffs office before I ended up with a family and the salary was not cutting it.

IF your parking brake is adjusted correctly, even at the first notch it would be applying at least a slight pressure on the rear brakes... whether your car uses the rear pads for the parking brake, or has a separated drum system for the parking brake... whatever. It doesn't really matter. If your brakes are in proper working order, you shouldn't do that. I'd be more concerned about ruining brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums/etc.

If you're that paranoid about cops hauling your ass to jail over a video bypass, just do the bypass... and put a toggle switch on the wire.

Plus doesn't your vehicle make the god awful "ding ding" sound when you have your parking brake on and the car in gear? I can't imagine with all the crap in todays cars that it wouldn't. Another thing, anyone who lives in the cold knows that with a parking brake on they have a tendancy to freeze in winter and lock the brakes. I learned this the hard way.

it doesn't ding continuously, only once each time you start moving, (if music is turned up loud enough you don't hear the ding).

for the record, I've had my Nitro in to the shop a couple of times because the park brake wasn't holding the truck on even the slightest of slopes. It still doesn't do it's job properly & that's why I started using the "cheap bypass" in the first place.

I will do the proper bypass though.

The factory navigation unit in my Mitsubishi Lancer does pretty much everything my D3 in my MR2 does with the bypass, except play DVDs. Unless you're watching a movie while driving and a cop sees you doing it, you're not going to get in trouble. And by then it'd be too late to pull the p-brake anyway.

Also, pulling the p-brake by itself won't give you full fuctionality of the bypass. Keep in mind that when you ground the p-brake wire, it's as if the p-brake were being pulled all the time anyway. To successfully perform the mod, however, you also have to modify the pin-out configuration on the harness to change the location of the mute wire. It's an absurdly simple mod and you need ZERO electronics experience to do it. I highly reccommend it.

Don't listen to them. I just got out of jail for bypassing my D3. I was watching a DVD (Jungle Book) on my way to work. The bastard saw me rockin out to Disney and pulled me over. I couldn't disconnect my ground and reconnect my parking brake wire in time. He made me scroll through the menus and that's all he needed. 60 days in jail and a $10,000.00 fine.

Don't listen to them. I just got out of jail for bypassing my D3. I was watching a DVD (Jungle Book) on my way to work. The bastard saw me rockin out to Disney and pulled me over. I couldn't disconnect my ground and reconnect my parking brake wire in time. He made me scroll through the menus and that's all he needed. 60 days in jail and a $10,000.00 fine.
BS!!! Next you'll tell us you narrowly escaped the death penalty! :roll:

I assume you were in Nebraska since you were going to work...

Nebraska Code - Section 60, Paragraph 60-6,287 provides that having a viewing screen placed so that it is visible to the driver while operating the vehicle is a Class V misdemeanor. Maximum penalty for a Class V misdemeanor is $100 with NO imprisonment. There is no minimum penalty.

Laws in the other twenty states that currently ban video in view of the driver are substantially similar.

Perhaps there's something else about this traffic stop that you neglected to mention?