AVIC411.com

AVIC - N1 bypass w/Hi-res board scans..

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Anonymous"]I have mod on my AVIC-N1 (I send my unit to VA to some Pioneer dealer). I got navigation 1 day ago and disassemble it to see where is this mod. Most part of board what shown on your picture are covered with silicone (to restrict access). I clean up area what shown on your photo but didn’t find any trace of bypass work. I was afraid to remove rest of silicon to clean up board (it’s very hard to do this without damaging board).
Looks like bypass located somewhere else. Are you sure your bypass is working???[/quote]

Can you post pictures please?
I am glad to see people doing it and working instead of all the doubt.
You are right, that you don't need to take the screen out. That is a good idea leaving the screen out but not UP. It should help avoid scratches BUT did it give you less slack on the flex cable? Everytime I take one apart I have the unit all the way closed thus there is no tention on the screens flex cable.

Good work Paul1965.

[quote name="Paul1965"]Alright, a couple of things about the corrected mod posted by Guest. Number one: IT WORKS. Number two: GET A MANUAL. I bought one for $3.99 off of ebay and had it delivered right to my email (PDF). Number three: you do not have to remove the screen. I left mine in the out position (but lowered) when I disconnected the power and removed the unit from the dash. The only thing you want to be sure of is to protect it well when working. Number four: use the right tools. The screws are made of very soft steel, and some of them are in very tight. The wrong size phillips will strip the screw and you'll be stuck. Last but not least: IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET INTO, LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL!

As far as the mod itself goes, I used a magnifying glass, a halogen worklight clamped to the desk, and 30 gauge enamel coated wire. Using a 15 watt soldering iron and a piece of the wire about one inch long, I heated the enamel on each end then carefully scraped the enamel away. Next I tinned the wire and soldered it to the points shown in the post. I then covered the top and bottom of the jumper with a small piece of electrical tape just to make sure it wouldn't short out anywhere. I put it back together and back in the car. You do still have to have the e-brake wire grounded (or toggled) for this to work. Good luck![/quote]
Actually, my first attempt at modding it failed. I had to pull it back apart the next day and had to resolder one end of the wire as it had broken off. This time I forgot and left the screen in, and I had MUCH less room to work around the substrate. I powered it back up and popped the screen out and it made a world of difference. I also used a 30 watt soldering iron the second time around for a good, secure connection without frying the board.
PLEASE READY THIS COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

For those concerned about pulling the N1 apart, here's how to do it. I was not able to remove 3 of the 4 mounting screws for the substrate bracket, so I left it attached to the DVD module and pulled it as an assembly instead. There are some plastic "lockdown" clips that hold the substrate to the board. Using a VERY small flat head screw driver, finger nail or pick, simply pivot them away from the substrate to release it from the board. [size=150]For whatever reason, I could not post these pics in the correct order[/size]. You need to look at the 2nd picture first to remove the case. Once the case is removed, look at the 1st picture to remove either the substrate bracket or the DVD module. Once the DVD module is removed, remove the right 3 screws for the CC Unit as shown in the picture, and carefully remove the sheet metal cover from the board. Once that's out of the way, you'll see the 2 solder points. Good luck!
Sorry, I didn’t take pictures. But they are useless – silicon everywhere and covering all erea

[quote name="Anonymous"]I am glad to see people doing it and working instead of all the doubt.
You are right, that you don't need to take the screen out. That is a good idea leaving the screen out but not UP. It should help avoid scratches BUT did it give you less slack on the flex cable? Everytime I take one apart I have the unit all the way closed thus there is no tention on the screens flex cable.

Good work Paul1965.

[quote name="Paul1965"]Alright, a couple of things about the corrected mod posted by Guest. Number one: IT WORKS. Number two: GET A MANUAL. I bought one for $3.99 off of ebay and had it delivered right to my email (PDF). Number three: you do not have to remove the screen. I left mine in the out position (but lowered) when I disconnected the power and removed the unit from the dash. The only thing you want to be sure of is to protect it well when working. Number four: use the right tools. The screws are made of very soft steel, and some of them are in very tight. The wrong size phillips will strip the screw and you'll be stuck. Last but not least: IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET INTO, LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL!

As far as the mod itself goes, I used a magnifying glass, a halogen worklight clamped to the desk, and 30 gauge enamel coated wire. Using a 15 watt soldering iron and a piece of the wire about one inch long, I heated the enamel on each end then carefully scraped the enamel away. Next I tinned the wire and soldered it to the points shown in the post. I then covered the top and bottom of the jumper with a small piece of electrical tape just to make sure it wouldn't short out anywhere. I put it back together and back in the car. You do still have to have the e-brake wire grounded (or toggled) for this to work. Good luck![/quote][/quote]
[quote name="Guest"]If i do this mod, will it unlock all my nav features, and get rid of the annoying Illegal parking break connection message?[/quote]

The nav features are unlocked and the park brake connection nag screen is gone, but you still have to acknowledge the front seat video viewing nag screen.
Guest valenz76
one question,,,,, does this work with the new 60 upgrade?????
so far this look cool I will try this as soon as I get a chanse,,,,,, I just bought the 60 upgrade so that I could use the navtraffic feauture,,,,,, lots of traffic over here, and It would be nice if I can avoid that every day,, but I also need my dvd player since I drive about 3 to 4 hrs a day to go to work.....
[quote name="valenz76"]one question,,,,, does this work with the new 60 upgrade?????
so far this look cool I will try this as soon as I get a chanse,,,,,, I just bought the 60 upgrade so that I could use the navtraffic feauture,,,,,, lots of traffic over here, and It would be nice if I can avoid that every day,, but I also need my dvd player since I drive about 3 to 4 hrs a day to go to work.....[/quote]

That's the whole purpose of this mod: to bypass the video and NAV lockout features when an N1 is upgraded with the MT60 software.
[quote name="Paul1965"] [quote name="valenz76"]one question,,,,, does this work with the new 60 upgrade?????
so far this look cool I will try this as soon as I get a chanse,,,,,, I just bought the 60 upgrade so that I could use the navtraffic feauture,,,,,, lots of traffic over here, and It would be nice if I can avoid that every day,, but I also need my dvd player since I drive about 3 to 4 hrs a day to go to work.....[/quote]

That's the whole purpose of this mod: to bypass the video and NAV lockout features when an N1 is upgraded with the MT60 software.[/quote]

And CNDV-50MT software as well.
Guest valenz76
thanks guys,,,, I guess this will be my project for this 4th of july weekend before hitting the road on some new wild and exotic adventure.. :D
paul you are #1,,, people have being breaking heads here for months now,, and now thanks to you the problem is solve,,,,, great job!!!!! :lol:
[quote name="valenz76"]thanks guys,,,, I guess this will be my project for this 4th of july weekend before hitting the road on some new wild and exotic adventure.. :D
paul you are #1,,, people have being breaking heads here for months now,, and now thanks to you the problem is solve,,,,, great job!!!!! :lol:[/quote]

Don't thank me; thank the Guest that posted the mod. All I did was prove that it worked.