AVIC411.com

AVIC - N1 bypass w/Hi-res board scans..

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I did this mod today and it works great!
I ended up taking the deck apart a little more than needed but it made it easier to do the soldering. I've soldered on Xbox and Ps2 in the past though, so I have a little experience. I wouldn't call the soldering hard, but you have to be very precise and have a steady hand. Make sure to have a low watt soldering iron with a very small tip. You probably have to buy the smaller tip from radio shack, the standard tip will not work.

For the wire I used aboug .75 inch of wire from a network cable. Tinned both sides, lined the wire up, and then taped the wire down with electrical tape over the connections I wanted to make. That way I could have both hands free to do the soldering. This helped a lot. After I did the solder. I used a magnifying class to make sure that points weren't touching other things. Ended up having to pull everything a wire back a little bit. After that I put electrical tape over the jumper cable just to be safe.

Also, make sure to get the right tools. I went to the home depot and picked up this Husky electronics screwdriver which had 8 switchable heads. I was able to get out every screw without stripping one. It only cost like $6.

This will be a nice replacement to my previous method which was a switch on my GPS antenna and a switch on my VSS/Parking brake.

Also, the first time I put everything back together, I hooked it back up and it was working great except I had no sound. After taking it part again, I realized that I had forgotten to connect the flex cable going from the RCA Outs/Speaker outs to the main board. After I made that connection, all was well again! :D
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I did the hack last night. Got to be honest, this was not an easy disassemble job. You guys weren't kidding when you said those screws are a pain to remove. I am under the firm belief that there is lock tite on those screws. But after messing with it for a long time and finding the right screw driver I got the unit apart, put the jumper on, soldering was a pain as well considering I've never soldered in my life. Ended up putting it all aside to finish up today. Didn't have the energy in me to put the unit back together. Here's what the jumper looks like.
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/ExConKasper/MyHack.jpg[/img]

*UPDATE*
So I finished putting the unit back together, popped it into my 2005 GMC, grounded the green wire, and..... Everything works. Very nice being able to drive and watch videos and or change/search for a new destination. Thank you all for this forum and the abundance of information found here.
so... a few days after the bypass i lost All video capabilities... the unit still functions as a nav unit, i can still search destinations while moving... But when i put a dvd in, it only plays the audio off the dvd, no video is shown. Any one know what the hell happened? it just cut out right in the middle of playing a video... HELP PLEASE!!!
I'm so glad I found this forum. I have an N1 and upgraded the maps to the 2006 version from 2005 and lost my video/nav functions like many of you. I bounced around the net trying to figure out a solution and stumbled onto this forum.

So you've found a place to mod the N1 and allow for nav/dvd while driving again? Sweet! I hear its easier on the N2's right because they have a sticker you lift up and then just solder the two connections under the sticker. So this really works? I've also never lifted a soldering iron in my life but i work with some engineers that could steer me through it. Seems from reading this that people are having some varying degrees of success... and now Kasper said he lost all video capability. Is this a good idea? Or does it make more sense to flash the firmware back to the original? Of course then I have to deal with old maps and the money i spent on the update dvds goes down the toilet. I mean does this really work or is what happened to Kasper going to happen to me?
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I have a n1 that I upgraded the disc to the cndv-70mt. It updated the unit fine then I took out the disc to see a DVD but I was unable to since it has the restricitons now even thought I grounded the green barking wire. When I went to put back the 70mt disc it says reading error can not get it to read probly cause the disc is all scrated up. I tryed to put the 40 disc but it now says invalied disc so I have no navigation. Is there a way to restore it back? Thanks help asap

Also is there a place were I can get the bypass done on my n1? I rather pay a little to get it done right then to lose alot. I live in Houston tx.