AVIC411.com

HDTV Tuner for AVIC-Z1, Z2, Z3 here you go

:oops: So do I need a TV tuner as well as the converter? I know it is called a CONVERTER but is it whatever antenna I choose, converter, TV Tuner to AV in and then watch TV?

ALSO do I need to have the bypass to watch TV while "in motion"

It looks like this tuner has a composite video output as well as a mono audio output :

Outputs 1 x "F" Plug(To TV), 1 x RCA(Video), 1 x RCA(Audio)

You could just use a "Y" RCA splitter to connect the audio to both left and right channels on an AV input as well as the composite video. This means you can use this tuner without the pioneer tuner - You just won't have control over it from the HU itself.

Wrong my friend, it haves Stereo Dolby Digital Sound RCA outputs

Where does it say that in the specs ? It only shows that it has a single audio output and makes no mention of having stereo sound.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you knwo what the current draw is on this? Thanks to the12volt.com, I found 2 voltage regulators on digikey.com

NJU7201L55-ND - 5.5 vdc 100mA voltage regulator

LP2950CZ-3.3-ND - 3.3vdc 100mA voltage regulator

If the 100mA is enough then I can use just one, if not then I need to put multiple in parallel, but i need to knwo what the current draw is so I know how many to order

:oops: So do I need a TV tuner as well as the converter? I know it is called a CONVERTER but is it whatever antenna I choose, converter, TV Tuner to AV in and then watch TV?

ALSO do I need to have the bypass to watch TV while "in motion"

It looks like this tuner has a composite video output as well as a mono audio output :

Outputs 1 x "F" Plug(To TV), 1 x RCA(Video), 1 x RCA(Audio)

You could just use a "Y" RCA splitter to connect the audio to both left and right channels on an AV input as well as the composite video. This means you can use this tuner without the pioneer tuner - You just won't have control over it from the HU itself.

Wrong my friend, it haves Stereo Dolby Digital Sound RCA outputs

Where does it say that in the specs ? It only shows that it has a single audio output and makes no mention of having stereo sound.

It has Dolby Sound and Left/ Right RCA outputs, I think radio shack info is wrong

A little update:

I currently moving from my condo, and I'm getting married next week, have TONS of things to do, I haven't played with the tuner yet.

To answer some of the questions:

This is a Digital TV Tuner (you can use this TV tuner with any LCD car monitor) only needs RCA A/V inputs

It haves stereo RCA outputs (Dolby Digital)

YOU NEED A HD antenna, older antennas will work, but I found that CHEAP TV antennas fully extended get worse reception, if you close the antenna completly you will get better reception. I bought a HD antenna and the difference was way better.

YOU NEED A HD antenna, older antennas will work, but I found that CHEAP TV antennas fully extended get worse reception, if you close the antenna completly you will get better reception. I bought a HD antenna and the difference was way better.

Where did you put your antenna, does it have to be out in the open or can it be in the trunk or something?

To follow up with this thread this is what I have done so far. I received my government 40 dollar rebate card :-) Bought the converter box at RS 59.99-40.00, then got 25% off a HDTV antenna for 24.99-25%. I rough installed it to the unit, but not realizing that I needed to plug the antenna into AC, I only bough a single DC/AC converter. But after I ran an extension cord for the antenna everything worked pretty well. Reception was good, signal strength was up to the top range and working great. I did try it without power to the antenna and did a get a few channels, but not as much as with the power. Next step is to get another DC/AC converter and have everything powered by the truck, and take it for a spin to see if the signal or reception goes in and out on the move. Does anyone know of any HDTV antenna that works well without AC power? Will keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

im still very confused about this

first off

i do not have a converter box or anything to start off with

second, if i want to have tv in my car

i need

1) the digital to analog tv converter box (aka hdtv tuner)

2) an hdtv antenna or something of that sort

3) proper power supply?

sorry im a noob at this so if anyone can explain please..

DTV (Whats coming in 2009) is NOT HDTV.....

DTV is not really coming, it's actually analog is getting shut off. Some stations have been broadcasting DTV for years.

DTV and HDTV use the same signal standard, ATSC. The difference is resolution and bitrate.

Yes, you do need an "HDTV antenna", but that's just a fancy name for a UHF antenna. ATSC broadcasts are all UHF, for now. I believe in the future some channels will return to VHF, but I don't know for sure, I read that someplace.

A better DTV tuner to use might be the Venturer STB7766G. It runs on 9V DC which is a lot simpler to convert from 12V. Plus, you don't have to open the box or mod anything. Just use a simple 12V to 9V voltage regulator or I think there are even 12V to 9V converter boxes.

Venturer STB7766G DTV tuner box

AVS Forum thread on the STB7766G with internal pic

Assuming 9V 1A is enough for it (I don't know if it is), you could use a pre-built voltage converter.