AVIC411.com

HDTV Tuner for AVIC-Z1, Z2, Z3 here you go

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually tested this yet?? Do we know if this will even work in motion driving more than 5mph as mentioned above??????

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the fact that your digital TV signal is either on or off and that there is no in between. Analog allows for drift and ghosting and all sorts of stuff where you can still hear the program and see the video in various levels of acceptability. Digital is ones and zeroes. It's either on or off. I fear in the near future that those of us wanting to watch TV in our vehicles will have to pony up the money for a TracVision A7 system or get the really stupid Sirius 3-channel offering of children's programming.

seventhreewun - the AC outlet you linked to is too weak I think. The Venturer tuner I linked to needs 9V@1A which is 9W, that AC outlet you linked to only can deliver 5W.

The Venturer tuner is better I think, because it only needs one 9V DC input so you don't need an inverter. Inverters are bulky and it's less efficient to go from 12VDC-120VAC-9VDC. It's much better to just go from 12VDC straight to 9VDC.

I did find in another thread the Venturer uses a 9V 1A brick, so that 12V to 9V converter I found on eBay would be just good enough. Wiring it up should be pretty simple, just solder a barrel-type DC plug onto the 9V output and connect the other end to a 12VDC source.

I made a video so that you can see what goes one when driving so that you can understand the difference in the Analog tuner versus a Digital tuner.

I have a RCA DTA800 tuner. Once you remove the power supply from it, you can solder some power leads to the board. The OEM power supply output is 12VDC. I have it running on my nav screen. The picture is kick ass but only when you are stopped where you can get good reception. Buildings and bridges interfere with the signal.

Here is my video in motion. When you see the message bars come up, that means that you are not getting the channel well.

I have had tv tuners in the past and they all pretty much suck while driving. I live near my network stations which are all located in one location of Baltimore, and I wouldnt waste my money again. I bought the Sirius backseat tv, It has perfect reception. Too bad its only childrens programming for now. But after the soon to come merger 50+ channels will be added, and that will be the hot product to have. So for now I have a 6 disc dvd changer, 2 dvd slots one on my Z and one on my D3, Ipod Video, Backseat TV and a external Deisel Audio 1/2 din DVD player with USB and SD card Slot. I am happy with 13 video sources and wont spend any money on a tv tuner. I just hope Sirius hurries up. I cant take much more of the Disney Channel...LOL. Cartoon Network is cool though! Here is my Video Sources

13 Sources

1 DVD Slot from Z1

1 DVD Slot from D3

6 DVD Discs in Valor DVD Changer

1 Video Source from Ipod cable to D3- Lots of Shows and Movies on it

3 Video Sources from Deisel DVD player 1 DVD Slot/1 USB/1 SD Card

1 Video Source from Sirius Backseat TV with 3 channels...LOL...WOW

Lu Scola,

I live near Baltimore (Columbia, Maryland) and I get all of the locals just fine with my AVIC-Z1 TV tuner from Pioneer. I'm talking 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 20, 24, 32, 45, 50, 54, 67. I no longer get channel 2, and channel 4 and 5 are pretty lousy when driving, but I can't complain with the others. It was a worthwhile investment. If they don't come out with a DTV tuner for mobile soon, then I will probably bite the bullet and get the TracVision A7 for my SUV. Maybe I will hold out to see what this Sirius and XM merger brings me with TV options. I hope I don't have to buy a whole new receiver to get them though. If I have to buy a new $2K+ AVIC receiver, I'd be better off just getting the TracVision for $2K and being done with it.

With the backseat tv, if thats what your talking about, then you wont have to buy any new accesories for it. On my remote there are buttons that do not have a function yet which led me to believe there was going to be more stuff added to the service. The Sirius unit runs into A/V inputs, not like the SIR-PNR2 which uses IP-BUS Cable.

As far as TV tuners I only had the cheaper tuners, and external DVD players with tuners built in hooked up to powered amplified car antennas. I pesonall havent seen the Pioneer tuner in action, maybe its better, I hope so for the price they sell for. the tuners I have had were $60 bucks and under. The dvd palyers w/tuners were under $140. I just had bad experiences with them, and just chose not to buy them again.

The Pioneer tuner kicks ass when it comes to analog TV. It doesn't come close to anything else.

I wish that someone made a good mobile DTV/HDTV tuner. For now, my unit works fine for me. I usually need it for when it is raining and I don't want to get out my wheelchair in a downpour. I can see the radar on the alt DTV channels which is real nice.

As for my antenna, I just made my own "Y" out of a car antenna extention cable and soldered it to a coax cable. I didn't want to mount an antenna somewhere on my glass or externally since I know it is a temporary fix.

Besides who wants to mess up a truck this nice with an ugly antenna!

titan1.jpg