AVIC411.com

D3 iPod Classic Downgrade How-To

Ok, after reading TONS of posts on the topic I decided to take the plunge and downgrade my 80gb iPod classic to 1.0.2 firmware to see if it resolved the video issue and am happy to say it did :D That said here are the steps I followed to get it to work ****YOU accept any and all risks by trying the following*****

1. Download the zipped firmware and signature file http://www.mediafire.com/?gzeyvtmmb2g (After spending a couple hours on the interweb I was able to locate the files and upload them to MediaFire to make it easier for AVIC411 users to download)

*NOTE: Downgrading firmware will format your player, so backup your data before continuing. Also, this guide is solely for the iPod Classic using WINDOWS!*

2. Open iTunes, head to Edit > Preferences > General and untick ‘Automatically check for updates’. **CLOSE iTunes**

3. Go to "Start" > "Run" > %appdata% > "Apple Computer" > "iTunes" > "iPod Software Updates"

4, Delete the files ‘iPod_24.1.0.2.ipsw’ and ‘iPod_24.1.0.2.ipsw.signature’ or whatever may be inside.

5. Unzip and put both the downloaded files into this folder.

6. Plug in your iPod and start iTunes.

7. Head over to ‘Devices’ and select ‘Restore’. A dialog box will appear asking if you want to check online for updates, click ‘Don’t check’.

8. Another dialog box will appear asking if you want to use an older version, select ‘Use Older Version’.

9. You should have successfully downgraded your iPods firmware.

This was adapted from a different tutorial but with specific steps for this application and firmware ( http://spr33.co.uk/wp/archives/downgrading-apple-ipod-firmware-102-101 )

Before you can play video set the "TV Out" setting on the iPod to "ASK" and when you want to play a video you will have to unplug and plug the iPod in before the video will actual play on the D3 and you will have to use the iPod click-wheel to navigate.

This worked for me so I thought I'd share, if it doesn't work for you..SORRY, and if it does, try not to hit anyone/anything while watching movies :lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What version of Itunes are you using. I do not have the iPod Software Updates folder nor can I find any *.ipsw files on my HD. I am viewing hidden and system files so that's not it.

I have iTunes 7.6.1.9, if you run "%appdata%" from the start menu it should be right there and it's not a hidden file if i remember correctly

This is to make the new 6th Generation iPod Classics work/play video on the D3 the way that the older iPods would have? I've been trying to find a list of compatible iPods that we can use with the D3 and haven't found anything..

TIA!

eGo

If you have a 5.5 gen ipod, you don't need to do all this. Its only for 6th gen Classics

Everything is fine for me except part 8. I don't get an option to restore to "use older version." I just get the option to either cancel or if I would like to restore it to the current version which is 1.1.2. I have a 5.5 ipod.