AVIC411.com

Wired steering wheel controls

I've seen the description that this device supports OEM seering controling with optional wires. I'm curious about it. I believe that only buttons can be assaigned to the functions, however my Audi has "rollers" to control the system audiSW.jpg.

I'm afraid this will not work with such a navigaton system like AVIC F-900BT

Please, CONFUTE ME!

Thanks to everyone,

Sandor

I too have the MFD Audi wheel. Whilst they are rollers they're just buttons giving an on off signal each time the roller sort of clicks in one or other direction. It's likely it will work fine IMO.

Sorry, I did not understand what You just said. You mean, that it will turn on and off the system? Or the rollers would work like simple buttons? Will it work in the F900 as it works now? :roll:

Thanks!

RNS-E & factory bluetooth for the win. Don't even waste your time with aftermarket gear.

I'm afraid that the factory RNS-E does not provide so much feature....DVD, CD, external HDD, Ipod, with integrated navigation and phone system. In many cases it would be better, however I'm afraid that the factory system has more limited capabilities....

I'm afraid that the factory RNS-E does not provide so much feature....DVD, CD, external HDD, Ipod, with integrated navigation and phone system. In many cases it would be better, however I'm afraid that the factory system has more limited capabilities....

The RNS-E will do everything but DVD and external HDD out of the box, and with much better integration and higher quality. I've got one with the factory bluetooth in my Audi, and compared to the AVIC-Z2 in my other vehicle, it's light years better.

Check out http://www.navplus.us for all of the details. The factory system is slightly more expensive, but the quality and level of integration is WELL worth it.

The RNS-E will do everything but DVD and external HDD out of the box, and with much better integration and higher quality. I've got one with the factory bluetooth in my Audi, and compared to the AVIC-Z2 in my other vehicle, it's light years better.

Check out http://www.navplus.us for all of the details. The factory system is slightly more expensive, but the quality and level of integration is WELL worth it.

I read that the RNS-E will not show the track names, and the Ipod will appear as a CD changer (cd1, cd2, cd3...)

?

What was said earlier about the rollers is that when they are rolled they give a signal just like a button press after each click of being rolled. In other words, it should work just fine.

Also, the RNS-E will not put out a flat signal. Yes, I know that there are people who claim it will and "have" the data to prove it. However, the built in processing of the unit is not defeatable therefore meaning it will never be truly flat.

If your car didn't come with the RNS-E I would upgrade to the 900bt. That is what I will be doing when it comes out.

If your car didn't come with the RNS-E I would upgrade to the 900bt. That is what I will be doing when it comes out.

I do agree. Even the resolutin is far better in the F series than in the RNS-e....not mentioning the awesome features. F900BT is the winner.

Are there any available cable solutions (For audis for example) to wire up the steering wheel controls? Or it can be done only home-made? I'm curious, because this is important for me...

Thanks again!

Are there any available cable solutions (For audis for example) to wire up the steering wheel controls? Or it can be done only home-made? I'm curious, because this is important for me...

Nope, that along with FIS integration is one of the main reasons to stick with the factory gear. The CAN Bus interprets the thumb rollers motion into signals to drive whatever function you're using (volume, track scan, bluetooth contact list, etc.).

Tell me what year/model audi you have. I may be able to track down a steering adapter from the UK that will work for you. I ended up getting a similar one for my 07 Jetta that also gave out VSS, reverse gear, 12v ACC power, and everything else necessary for an aftermarket install. Let me know and I'll look into it.

I checked with all of the European suppliers when I had a Z2 in my B7, nothing exists for the Audi wheel. It's a totally different setup than the VW, which has distinct physical buttons for volume +/-, track +/-, etc.

Maybe you can uncover something I didn't though, which the Audi community would love!

A company called Connects2 out of the UK makes both a steering wheel adapter for your car and the wiring harness for an aftermarket radio that gives out all needed info for a Pioneer F-series (Reverse Signal/Speed Pulse

Illumination/Ignition).

These adapters are specially made with a chip inside the wiring adapter that interfaces with the CAN BUS to retrieve and send all the info to and fro the controls. These are also specifically for the A3 '03+, the A4 '05+, and the TT '06+.

The only thing you need to know is whether or not the connector on the back of your radio is a standard iso connector or a 40 pin FAKRA connector.

This is the FAKRA (Same as mine)

stalk1.jpg

And this the ISO variant.

stalk3.jpg

Just look at the back of the stock radio to be sure. Chances are that it will be a FAKRA connector.

So, you will need:

a) One of these: http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=66&manID=202&modID=562

That will make it 1000x easier to interface the whole unit into your dash, with NO splicing, etc of factory wiring.

B) One of these:

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=24&manID=202&modID=562

Ignore the first one, that only fits up to a 2004 A4.

These are the steering wheel adapters. They have a small white or black plug (Depending on connector type) that will pop into the big FAKRA/ISO connector and work your steering wheel controls. The other end of this adapter is the small industry standard mini-jack that will plug into the back of the Pioneer for steering wheel controls.

Ok, so once you have figured out which type of plug you have, where to get the stuff?

You will have to go to a place called Incarexpress.co.uk. There are no places that really sell this kind of UK made stuff in the US. However, this place will send one out to you and they are very fair with shipping, etc. Though, use their website to find the parts you need, but you will not be able to use their online ordering system as it is not set up for US shipping or addresses.

Instead, you will need to email sales@incarexpress.co.uk. The guy that answers the emails is Ged. Give him the links to the products you want along with your Name, address, etc and he will give you back a shipped price. I paid using Google accounts, which worked very well and fast. Once you agree on the price and send payment, he will send you a ticket number, user name and password for the main site so that you can check on the order. Took about a week to get here from Belgium.

Steering adapters:

http://incarexpress.co.uk/catsearch.php?cat=Installation+Parts&subcat=Remote+Adaptors&fitment=Audi&limit=10'>http://incarexpress.co.uk/catsearch.php?cat=Installation+Parts&subcat=Remote+Adaptors&fitment=Audi&limit=10

Harness adapters:

Search for "CTAADCAN00" to bring up both types of harness adapters for your car.

http://incarexpress.co.uk/catsearch.php

Hope this helps.