AVIC411.com

The new generation ipods provide HD resolution and quality via the component cables (3 rca-divided colors).

On the other hand, navigaton systems (like the new F series too) only provide composite video, via a simple rca/jack cable (1 rca), which is not a quality solution.

I belive that external USB drives may have better quality, because the navi system decodes the video itself.

Am I right?

Is it easyer to handle external HDDs and the files on it with the AVIC systems, than using Ipods? Or, does Ipod provide faster/better interface to handle the files?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pioneer USB connections do not transfer video though, only audio.

And do you really think having HD resolution on a 5.8 inch screen is going to make any difference? Apple added the component option for people that hook them up to their big screens or larger computer screens. I doubt such a small screen at a couple feet away is going to be a big deal

The simple AV cable is the other extreme. Noisy pictures, unclear shadows, un-colrful video.

You are right, that a 5,8" screen does not need HD video, I believe that S-video would be enough....

That's a shame....I thought that USB do transfer videos as well. Ipod video is the solution than...

Thanks!

Ya, even on my D3 my ipod videos don't look nearly as good as the DVDs I ripped them from. Thought about increasing the resolution, but then they take up too much space on the ipod

Hopefully the F series' new screen will solve these quality issues.... Is the new screen brighter, or just higer in resolution?

I've read that the new F series has a USB port for hooking up devices. Can you use this USB port and a standard Ipod computer cable to hook up to your Ipod, or do you have to get Pioneer's cable?

This unit will work with the 30GB Ipod Video, correct?

Thanks,

Brandt

Lots of this years Pioneer decks have USB and work fine with that cable that comes with the ipod. It won't transfer video through USB though, so if you want video you will have to buy the Pioneer cable

I've read that the new F series has a USB port for hooking up devices. Can you use this USB port and a standard Ipod computer cable to hook up to your Ipod, or do you have to get Pioneer's cable?

Thanks,

Brandt

Lots of this years Pioneer decks have USB and work fine with that cable that comes with the ipod. It won't transfer video through USB though, so if you want video you will have to buy the Pioneer cable

Thanks,

Brandt

So it will work the same as the Pioneer cable just without video?

Well, I don't know whether its true or not, I found an F900BT on ebay, and the description said:

"The AVIC-F900BT has versatile connectivity, which means you can watch compressed video such as MPEG 4 on the screen (from SD cards and USB devices), and enjoy audio and video playback from your iPod (supporting generations from October 2005). Bring your digital lifestyle in-car."

Hmmm? Video via USB?

The ipod cable that is used with the new F series is a combination of USB, RCA VIDEO, and RCA AUDIO left and right. The USB portion appears to only control the ipod. A typical ipod sync cable may be sufficient if you are just concerned with playing audio with your ipod but it will not transfer video as Pioneer is now using RCA jacks for that.

post-2925-12872754353022_thumb.jpg

I wonder why they made the usb part of the cord so short and the av so long? you will need a longer usb cord to attach if you want to put it in the glove box or an armrest console. Hmm, plus i want to be able to split the usb so that if someone rides with me we can use their thumb drive/external usb as well. I was trying to be lazy and take it to a shop when it came out but this might be a diy install now, LOL.

I am curious as to how the interface is with an external hard drive is on the F series. I have never liked how itunes organizes my music on my ipod, so a usb powered external hard drive would be great, you could organize all of the folders and genres yourself. then just plug it in. If the interface shows files and folders just like on the computer I will be selling my D3 along with the 160gb ipod, the ipod cable and bluetooth adapter for the new F-Series

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder why they made the usb part of the cord so short and the av so long? you will need a longer usb cord to attach if you want to put it in the glove box or an armrest console. Hmm, plus i want to be able to split the usb so that if someone rides with me we can use their thumb drive/external usb as well. I was trying to be lazy and take it to a shop when it came out but this might be a diy install now, LOL.

The USB portion of the ipod cable is so much shorter because the F's attached USB lead is pretty long. Long enough that it should reach to your glove box with plenty to spare. So the ipod cable's USB lead will plug into it there. But the RCA cables on the ipod cable need to be longer because they have to reach to the back of the unit.