AVIC411.com

D3 Camera Relay Wiring for REVERSE & REAR VIEW Both

You could wire up a switch directly to the reverse sense wire, providing you use a diode where you tap the actual reverse wire (so you don't backdrive your backup lights and turn them on unintentionally).

Is this what you're talking about or are you asking about a feature that I don't know about?

If that's the case, then the draw should be negligible enough to not really require a relay at all.

we need a drawing of a diagram on how to run the back up cam to reverse wire and have the option to use the camera button on the nav screen. Thanks. If any one could scketch a drawing scan and upload it would be appreciated. I dont want to have to buy two cameras to hook up one as back up to my Z1 and another camera running full time to my D3.

Uh..no idea why you would need to do that.

Wire the camera power to a switched power instead of directly to the reverse lights. You can run the power all the way to the front and splice it in with the Red ACC line going to the radio.

If the camera is powered on while the car is on, you can use it as Rear View and Backup Camera all you want.. No need to do relays or anything.

Sorry guys, I dont know where my head was. I know now that the camera is to be hooked up to constant 12V and grounded for the camera to work at all times. The Reverse wire hook up is the exciter wire to switch to reverse mode. My camera was labeled as a reverse camera with the directions telling me to hook up the red hot wire to the reverse wire to turn on the camera with 12 volts in reverse only. I know now that a lot of these GPS Navigators do not operate in a rear view mode, only reverse mode. For the camera to operate in rear view mode also, the camera needs a conststant 12 volt signal at all times and the head unit needs to be connected to the reverse or backup wire.

Sorry for the confusion, but I am gratefull for the help. :oops:

LC

You do not want to connect the camera to a CONSTANT power source.

You want ACC, a switched power source. Otherwise your camera would be 'on' while the car is technically off, potentially draining your battery.

The reverse wire is connected to the D3, NOT the camera. The D3 only uses the reverse wire to tell when you're in reverse.

You have the camera on switched power so it turns on and off with the car, and is available for both reverse and camera view.

Simple.

My AVIC-D3 was installed last month and everything is working fine.

I bought a camera (Pioneer) and got it to work fine through the navigation options menu screen but I didn't have a clue concerning the best place to tie the reverse gear signal wire in so that this feature would work.

I tied the positive-hot wire into the ACC wire coming into the D3 plug and grounded it to the truch (08 Tacoma) body under the console.

I got some good feedback from another forum area and it was suggested that I tap the reverse gear signal wire into a taillight for the exciter pulse.

Any suggestions concerning a closer-easier connection point for the reverse gear signal wire and/or do you think that since I have the tow package it might be better to tap into the reverse signal pulse through it?

Thanks ahead of time for any help-suggestions.

There are several decent places to tap into the "reverse" area.

Tail light bulbs are usually a last resort, since it's all the way at the rear of the vehicle. If you have a Manual Transmission, there is usually one given wire between the shifter and the cluster to indicate reverse gear.

Failing that, automatic transmissions have a wire on the cluster harness to indicate reverse.

If you've got a auto dimming mirror, it also has a wire for reverse (so it knows to not dim when you're backing up) - that is also another good area to tap in.

Personally, I hate scotch locks - I've seen that they're not 100% reliable and can result in a poor connection to both devices, especially if the tapped wire is small (smaller than 18 gauge). I prefer the part where you strip about 1/2" of the wire to be tapped, separate the strands of the wire into 2 equal sides (the tapped wire never gets cut in this case), then threading the new wire through like a needle, twisting it flat, then soldering and taping it. You get a better connection that way and I've started doing it with all the taps, since there are so many in my vehicle now.

Hope that helps. The12volt.com can give you a list of wire colors on most vehicles, so that's another good place to do a quick search.

Many thanks for all the direction and help.

I just got through messing around with it this morning to double-check and see if the feature works - it does.

I tied in another + lead (temporary) into the ACC hotwire and tapped it against the reverse gear wire to see if it would engage - it did.

Many thanks again and I'll look at the 12volt.com website to locate the wires that I need.

• 7 months later...