AVIC411.com

Z3 Upgrade Hard Drive question

Hello, I just did the Z1/Z2 to Z3 upgrade (awesome write up and support BTW) with no real problems. I have encountered one thing though (kinda minor I guess), anyway, I am using a Toshiba 5400rpm 80GB Hard drive (can't remember the model number). When I upgraded my Z1 to the Z2 image last fall I was able to partition the User area form 9GB to the remaining drive (approx 50GB). Now when I did the Z3 image on the same drive, I am stuck with the standard partitions like it is a 30GB Hard drive. I have tried Partition Magic, the Acronis Disk Director 10, and even Vista's disk manager and none of them are able to create a partition, or enlarge/extend the 9GB user partition. When I try to use the Windows Drive manager, I am able to create a partition in the unallocated area, but it converts the disk to Dynamic disk warning that the drive will not be bootable and the like. I haven't tried making it a dynamic disk and installing in the Avic (maybe this evening). Anyway, anyone have any ideas on how to recoup the unallocated area on the drive? I have tried creating 4 partitions separately (18gb, 580MB, 50GB, and 580MB) then had Acronis True Image dump the image files on there, keeping the partition sizes, and received a disk/info corruption message and Windows not seeing the drive(s) Thanks!

dc

I believe I came across a thread a little while ago that mentioned something about the drives becoming unstable after a certain amount of gigs was used for user data. I can't find the thread now, so I can't give you a link but try doing a search on it. I'm sure other forum members could probably chime in too if they know about this off the top of their head.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried booting to a Vista cd and opening up a command line in the Vista recovery console and then using the diskpart tool? It may work. Its a little tricky though. When you open diskpart you will need to identify the drive, then select the drive and then select the partition and then expand it.....