AVIC411.com

Okay, so. This isn't what you probably are thinking it is: "Oh great, another n00b asking where his VSS wire is."

Nope. Here's my situation.

I have my dash completely torn apart in the driveway right now, and I'm all in my ECM's butt. BOTH rostra.com AND my Chilton's manual say that my VSS wire is Green/Blue. However, I am unable to locate a Green/Blue wire anywhere on my ECM. Not with green being the predominant color, and not with blue. :evil:

I'm so damn frustrated right now. It's a '92 4Runner and the dash is a bitch to get off. I don't want all the effort and energy I just spent go to waste.

Help?

If you're correct, I owe you a brew. :) That's some pretty good research there, I was looking high and low and I just kept finding "Green/Blue". argh!

I called the Toyota service center here and told them what I was doing and the guy goes "Uhhh... ok. Um, here let me patch you through to the shop foreman. That's WAY over my head." Thanks, sport. The shop foreman didn't answer and hasn't called me back so I'm guessing he's gone for the day.

The MOST frustrating thing about this is that I KNOW I could just go through the whole connector with a multimeter (just like you said) and see which one is the VSS. I just don't HAVE a multimeter at hand and money is a little tight around here (hence why I'm doing this crap myself :lol: ) A great piece of advice though madsonp, and I will heed it as soon as I get my hands on the correct tools.

The day wasn't a total waste, after all. I decided to do the two-wire bypass while I was in there, for fun. Worked a treat, now let's wait for the system to re-calibrate and see if I did it right. Only time will tell. Thanks for the great help madsonp!

Okay, so. This isn't what you probably are thinking it is: "Oh great, another n00b asking where his VSS wire is."

Nope. Here's my situation.

I have my dash completely torn apart in the driveway right now, and I'm all in my ECM's butt. BOTH rostra.com AND my Chilton's manual say that my VSS wire is Green/Blue. However, I am unable to locate a Green/Blue wire anywhere on my ECM. Not with green being the predominant color, and not with blue. :evil:

I'm so damn frustrated right now. It's a '92 4Runner and the dash is a bitch to get off. I don't want all the effort and energy I just spent go to waste.

Help?

This is from the Audiovox tech web site. Speed Sense GREEN/BLUE (AC) PASS KICK AT ECM

Check the site out it is www.techservices.audiovox.com They have some good info for all cars.

• 1 year later...

Two years later, I am re-visiting my VSS issue. The bypass is still working to this day, and up to this day I have not been successful in finding this $&%ing VSS wire.

However, I have gotten my hands on a Toyota FSM for my truck and have been digging through the wiring diagrams for the ECM and I think I have figured out exactly which pin I need. Go figure that the FSM ALSO says that the wire is Green/Blue. :roll: I swear to God there is no green/blue wire in the whole truck. If I open the dash this week and there is one, I'm going to go ballistic. lol

I've attached the wiring diag I'm working off of and pics of the connectors you'll work with... what you need to focus on is the right side, where you see the SPD terminal. Pin 20 in the IH1 connector between the combo-meter and the ECM is the pin you want to focus on, this is the VSS wire. I have highlighted this pin in the Connector pic for you.

Basically, find the IH1 connector, and then find pin 20 on that connector. If you have a multimeter, the pulse on the wire should be 4000. If you don't have a multimeter, find the ECM block in the attached pic (should be closest to the firewall) and then find pin 9 in that block. The wire connected to this pin should be the same wire coming off of pin 20 on the IH1 connector. Later in the week I will provide pics if I have time to rip the dash apart.

I really hope that this thread comes in handy for a fellow 2Gen 4Runner owner someday.

Oh, and don't forget your goggles. :lol:

post-15732-12872762099857_thumb.png

post-15732-12872762101459_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762102257_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762103377_thumb.jpg

I finished connecting my VSS wire this morning, and took some pics. I also have some notes I'd like to share.

So I never did find the IH1 connector, but luckily I didn't have to. Once you remove the kick-panel, the wire is surprisingly easy to find on the ECM (dammit.) The bastard IS Green/Blue, but in my defense the wire was covered with electrical tape because it has already been tapped in the past (see pic below).

Check out the pics below to see the steps to take to tap your VSS. To clarify, this is for a 1992 Toyota 4Runner with the 3VZE engine, R150F (Manual) Transmission. If you have the 22RE engine, the location of the ECM is the same but the pins may be different.

I recommend that if you didn't verify the wire with a multimeter before tapping it, to drive around for a minute with the Connection Status screen up on your HU to verify that the speed pulse does not say 0 while moving. This is how I verified that I had the correct wire. If everything checks out, put everything back together and you are finished! I also reset my 3D learning on my Z3, you don't need to do this if you are doing a new install but I did because my HU has been installed for almost 3 years.

Hope this helps out some members in the future. 8)

post-15732-12872762111258_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762127072_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762128511_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762130193_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762132263_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762134038_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762135639_thumb.jpg

post-15732-12872762137124_thumb.jpg