AVIC411.com

need install HELP for 2006 Camry

i just got an AVIC-D3 and after reading so many posts on here i was certain i could do the simple install on my own without paying $200+ to an install shop (can't really afford that at the moment anyway)

i have a 2006 Camry SE with the single cd JBL factory amplified system. I was sold the metra 70-8113 wire harness w/ factory amp bypass. i dont have anything to solder with so i crimped the wires together and verified everything is tight, pulled somewhat hard on them and they wouldn't budge.

the problem is after i installed the avic-d3 and turned it on, there was a loud buzzing from all the speakers.

i immediately thought it was an issue with the ground, since i had originally spliced everything into the pioneer's ground (the metra's ground and the ebrake/mute wire for the d3 bypass) and grounded the pioneer to the only nearby spot i thought maybe i should ground them all seperately to the same spot (pretty much the only spot that some of the shorter cables i need to ground can reach such as the metra's ground and the mute). so i cut them and crimped ring terminals to fit in the bolt i used to ground them to the Camry. Still - same problem. So then i sanded the metal down and it looked nice and smooth/clean, so i re-grounded the metra's ground and the pioneer's ground (left the ebrake/mute ungrounded since they were not needed for troubleshooting purposes) but still the SAME buzzing sound from the speakers when the unit is turned on (even with volume down).

i thought this would be easy, am i a complete ass? here are some pics so you can see what i did

below: picture of the metra and pioneer grounded

IMG00016.jpg

below: another picture of them grounded

IMG00018.jpg

below: picture of what i'm grounding them to

IMG00020.jpg

below: picture of the metra connected to the pioneer's rca harness (the rca's for the speakers are connected and the blue/white amp turn on wire connected and the metra's ground)

IMG00022.jpg

below: picture of the metra connected to the pioneer's harness (all unused wires are capped off, ignition wires are connected, battery wires are connected, and pioneer's ground is shown)

IMG00023.jpg

the only thing not shown in the pics above are the ebrake and mute wires, they look just like the grounds though - they have a ring terminal so they are easily grounded.

am i missing something or just don't have any clue how to ground something properly?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the picture it looks like the + and - from each speaker wire are butt connected together. could just be the pic tho. if not sepparate them immediatly lol

does the buzz start immediatly when you power the deck? or is it only when the car is running? does it get louder with the engines revs?

heres some tips u could try

take your ground (which i deem to be perfect) and run a nother wire from that bolt thats just a length of wire. then turn on tv and let it buzz. take your grounded length of wire and touch it to any of the 4 rca shields that are running to your harness. hopefully this makes an huge difference.

if that doesnt help you could try a ground loop isolator

Wow... I looked over the pictures for a few minutes looking for something wrong and missed that... You definitely need to separate all those speaker wires. All 8 wires should be capped off individually. That is more than likely the source of your problem.

i'll give that a shot. but to answer your question the speaker wires were capped off after the 2nd time i regrounded everything so they weren't touching at first and the buzzing was still there. i'll cap them off seperately, they're not being used because the RCA's are being used for the speakers. i did end up putting the factory head unit back in to use in the meantime and it works perfectly, so whatever's happening didn't mess anything up.

i posted on toyotanation.com also and got a respond saying it's the harness, do you think this might be the case?:

wow, ok whoever told you that harness would work should be fired. That harness was stopped being used by around the turn of the century. for the 06s that have an amp, the amp is digital. So you'll need the $100 converter harness that is something like this (

ok so i went to a local car stereo shop and tried that harness the guy off toyotanation.com recommended, it's for the 2007+ camry so i do have the right harness.

i seperated and capped off the speaker wires and tried again, still buzzing. so i started the car up and revved the engine, once it got to about 4000 rpm's you could hear an audible engine whistle through the speakers. sounded kind of like a quiet supercharger, it was pretty quiet but noticeable if you listen for it. so then i used a spare wire and touched one of the bare metal ends to the ground and the other to an rca shield. the speakers popped once when i did it and then the buzzing became very quiet. it still buzzed more than it should but it got considerably quieter. that says it is a grounding problem?

the place i'm grounding it to is really the only option because no other metal spot on the car can be reached (that i can see) with the ground wire. should i try a ground loop isolator? do those really work for an issue like mine?

so i crimped the pioneer's ground to the ground on the metra wiring harness to let it go through the factory harness to whatever ground it uses to see if there would be any difference. there was no difference in doing that but i did notice 2 things:

1) when i touch the shields on the rca's (basically grounding myself to them) the buzz almost goes away entirely

2) i disconnected the rca's so there would be no volume, then turned it on and turned the volume up al the way (to see how high it would go to see if there was a voltage issue maybe between the head unit and the factory amp), well when i maxed the volume out at 40 i could (barely) hear the fm radio. how is that possible with no rca's connected?

ok so i went to a local store and got some ground loop isolators and it fixes it if i hold them outside of the dash. soon as i put them back in the dash to prepare to mount the head unit they buzz really loud, but this time it's from electrical interference. everytime it gets within inches of the factory wiring (not for the radio, but for other components) it starts buzzing loud again.

the problem is that there's nowhere i can ziptie it that would be out of the way of electrical wiring, there's bundles of wires everywhere that i could possibly tie these rca's to. so that only leaves me with one option, if it even exists, maybe to cover the metal shields of the rca's, etc, with some type of tape or something that can shield them from the electrical interference. i called home depot and they said they have aluminum foil tape that MIGHT take care of it with a few layers of the tape. what do you guys think??

2006CamrySE

I have same issue as yours. I have a 2007 Hybrid Highlander with premium JBL music system . I also have the AVIC-D3X with ipod i/f , xm tuner, B/T and steering wheel interface ( which is not working as i did not program it right).

When i turn on the hybrid i start getting the crackling noise from speaker. I noticed one thing. When I turn on the headlights the noise increases like crazy and remains more steady with a constant high pitch tone !!

I am using the METRA BHA8113 wiring harness.... I paid $130 to a guy in CL to set this up and he couldn't solve the problem .

I went to circuit city and they asked me model no of wiring harness ..I did not have model no so they couldnt do anything. They also mentioned it might be harness issue when they heard the noise... I have written an email to METRA to check with them directly.

ALSO I dont think you should use ground loop ..The filters only hide the problem and dampen the wattage. We need to solve the noise issue at source....

Keep me posted on what you find...I am in LOS ANGELES area... Email me mnsweeps @ yahoo dot com . Thanks

yeah this is absolutely killing me, i've spent so much time on this and everywhere i go i am told something different. so i've tried everything everyone's recommended and still no luck!

when i hook it up with the harness alone i get music and buzzing, the buzzing stays at the same audible level regardless of the music's volume.

when i add ground loop isolators and hold all the rca's outside of the dash (away from the existing electrical wires behind the dash) i get music with no buzz, but when i start the engine the power dies (not good) and i have to disconnect/reconnect the negative terminal on the battery. this only happens intermitantly with the isolators (never happens without them) and seems to be dependent upon where the isolators are physically placed. anytime they're behind the dash it causes the whole car to die when you want to start the engine.

when i add the ground loop isolators and put everything behind the dash i get tons of buzz due to electrical interference, no matter where i put the isolators and rca's they are a few inches away from some type of existing factory wires and i get the interference

i looked behind the globe box to try to find the amp (even though i was sold the car as having the JBL system and the single cd head unit says JBL on it, i wanted to see the amp for myself in case my car doesn't have JBL - it's a long shot but hey i've tried everything else) and behind the glove box i saw a black box that has some white text stamped on it, which i googled hoping to see that it was listed as a factory amp but i got no results back. here's what was on the black box:

4430m

87010-06430

AA44315-180

ok so i've verified i do indeed have a factory amp, i found a picture of a toyota jbl amp online from a toyota avalon, mine looks EXACTLY like this

http://drri.home.comcast.net/~drri/avalon/amp.jpg

I have to wait till Tue to call Metra to make sure my harness works with JBL premium system. In meantime have you gone to Best Buy or Circuit City to get it checked? Let me know what happens...I will do the same tuesday....frustrated with this crap..

2006CamrySE , also where are u based?

I've gone to Best Buy, Circuit City, and Sound Sensations. Every place I've gone I've gotten a different answer and different harness, so far i've tried them all and no luck. I'm starting to think maybe it has less to do with the ground and more to do with some conflict between the head unit and the factory amp?

i'm in Atlanta, GA

ok so i've verified i do indeed have a factory amp, i found a picture of a toyota jbl amp online from a toyota avalon, mine looks EXACTLY like this

http://drri.home.comcast.net/~drri/avalon/amp.jpg

I have to wait till Tue to call Metra to make sure my harness works with JBL premium system. In meantime have you gone to Best Buy or Circuit City to get it checked? Let me know what happens...I will do the same tuesday....frustrated with this crap..

now keep in mind Toyota changed over to a digital JBL amp (different model Toyota vehicles did it in different years) I know in the Camry the digital JBL amp started in 2007, so my 2006 Camry is using the analogue amp I believe. The wire harness for the digital amp interface is closer to the $100 price range whereas the Toyotas with the analogue JBL amp are closer to a $20 price range. The $100 ones come with a little brain, or box, that is the digital interface but that's only if your Toyota has the digital JBL amp