AVIC411.com

Hi all,

what's the set up for the f900bt and f90bt regards to security?

Does it have a face-off?

Strange one... is it easy/possible to debadge Pioneer headunits? Thinking if I can make it look factory, it may deter prying eyes!

Thanks! tJ.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a thread with a pic of the AVIC-F500BT and it looks like the face is detachable...why aren't the 700, 900, and 90BT the same? I've had a AVH-P5700DVD stolen from my car before, I'd like to see more in the sense of security. The flush-mounting and custom color features would help if the unit weren't littered with labels. Any ideas? Also, what's that about it being either "in-dash" or "on-dash"?

I'll echo the concerns in this thread as security is one of the only things making me hesitant to get a 90BT. While a password for activation is nice, I can't imagine it hindering most thieves.

That leaves me with:

Debadging -- How easy is it generally to remove the Pioneer/Premiere labels? (I suppose the ultimate would be a sticker with a car manufacturer to overlay on top of it.)

Fake covers -- Are there any companies that make these? I'm not sure I have the level of commitment nor expertise to do it well myself

A fake cover is pointless because you can't cover the knob...plus it would have to stick out..even if only a little...clearly indicating that you're hiding something. Debadging...but will pioneer take kindly to honoring the warranty of a unit that's been painted? I think security should be high on the list when developing such a product. My old P5700dvd had a small detachable key panel...and that wasn't enough because that's all I have left of it.

• 4 months later...
A fake cover is pointless because you can't cover the knob...plus it would have to stick out..even if only a little...clearly indicating that you're hiding something.

Not true, you just need to set the unit back about a half inch from where it normally would have rested. This unit has a pretty slim profile (the new knob is shorter than the D-series, which helps even though the new knob sucks :lol: )

I had my installer fabricate a faceplate out of my Nissan Frontier stock head unit and it looks perfect, I'll post some pics later. There's also a dude on NissanForums.com who has the same setup, he just used a Toyota stock stereo and you'd never know it wasn't stock unless you spent a lot of time trying to study it.

With my windows tinted and alarm sensitivity cranked up, you better not lean on the truck while you're pressing your face up to the glass :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Toledo, OH, terrible for car theft. I have a D2, but used to have a D1, until some idiot tried to steal it, but I had it bolted in with 4 socket head screws. They managed to trash the dash but couldn't get the unit out so they smashed the screen :-/

My best theft deterrant hasn't been my car alarm (that I hate because I always manage to set the stupid thing off by accident), but just putting something hanging over the dash to cover the stereo. Not sure why exactly it works (I assume because if they can't see it, that means it doesn't exist, just like playing "peek-a-boo" with a baby), but haven't had anyone try to break into my car for over two years now and I had my car broken into 3 times in the first two years I lived here before my "method", so it seem effective enough for me.

• 2 months later...

Get the Pioneer Cage made for the Avic_F series, When you install it into the car the benders are not that good as they can bend back out. what I did was put two screws and secured the cage to the car the screws are at an angle and stick out slightly. Filed them down a little and pushed the avic unit through, the angle of the screww heads maintained a "lip" and now the unit is impossible to remove because it has a wider back plate and it hooks on to the screws.

Be sure that you have everything plugged up before your done, cause it's a bitch to get out now.