AVIC411.com

VIDEO REVIEW OF AVIC-F90BT

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I just want to say thanks for reviewing this. I have a few questions regarding this unit, hopefully not too overwhelming. I currently own a D3, it seems that this unit addressed all the issues the D3 had and more. Questions as follows:

1 - Does pressing up/down on the joystick in AM/FM radio mode switch between station presets? It was annoying not having up/down hard-buttons on the D3.

2 - I know the center button is for voice command, does this mean you cannot quickly switch between sources by pressing the center button anymore? I'm guessing you could just switch source by speaking

3 - Can you hook up an external HDD (non-flash memory) via USB and play music/videos? Wondering if it can read NTFS formatted drives. I know this might take you a while to test as you might not have an adapter for the external HDD. I basically just want to be able to hook up a huge 500GB external HDD and play videos off of that.

4 - Does a Keypad stay in place during a phone call so you can press buttons while listening to your voice mail? With the D3, after the call has been connected, the keypad dissapears

5 - What voice commands are available during a call? If you pressed the center joystick, or does it hang up or do something else?

I think that's all I have for now. Thanks for your time.

3 - Can you hook up an external HDD (non-flash memory) via USB and play music/videos? Wondering if it can read NTFS formatted drives. I know this might take you a while to test as you might not have an adapter for the external HDD. I basically just want to be able to hook up a huge 500GB external HDD and play videos off of that.

If I remember correctly, I think I read it is only compatible with FAT32.

However, there are lots of free utilities out there that will allow you to format any drive size in a FAT32 format.

I have done this with my external drive so that my xbox can read it.

Here is a link to the free utility that I use. Yes, it is safe. Yes it works. Just follow the directions exactly and you will be set.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

p.s. Keep in mind your HDD would need to be 2.5" or smaller so that the head unit can power it. If it's any bigger you will need an external power source.

For one, you can't select/search POI's, input destinations, etc. while the car is moving for safety reasons.(unless you bypass it)...

This is the exact reason why you DO need voice control. As on the Z Series, voice control would give you a means to enter a destination without taking your eyes off the road.

JasonH I need to ask you... What I wanna really know is does ALL of the POI have their own logo's or is it like the D3 where only a few have their logo's showin and the rest just all use a "dummy" logo???

I also wonder if the D3 upgrade will get some of these features... Prolly not but it dont hurt to wish on things

So I called up Edge Audio here in the Phoenix area, and the manager there tells me his team is basically part of Pioneer Premier. They do all the new product testing and also travel around doing training on their new units. He says his shop is not even going to sell the F-series. He was suggesting I go for the AVIC-Z3 or the Kenwood DNX-8120. He said the voice command doesn't work nearly as well as they say (something about asking for Metallica and getting AC/DC). Blah blah... new technology, will take months to get stable, blah blah... only him and like 9 other people in the country have had their hands on it... blah blah just an inferior deck all around.

It sounds like a bunch of crap to try and unload some of their older decks on me to make room for the new ones. My question to Jason is, I have actual evidence of you having used the F90BT, can you honestly say its a better experience than the Z series or other nav decks you've used? The SD card slot and MSN Direct are big selling points for me (especially since I want Sirius and everyone seems to use XM for NavTraffic). I also like the front Aux input and the iPod control looks really sweet. Do you guys think this guy is just blowing smoke? Maybe he tried an early unit that didn't do as well?

So I was reading the manual for the 900BT and it says it DOES NOT support SDHC. This is a big downer cuz it means it will only accept SD cards up to 2gb only. I would also have to assume that the premier 90bt does not support SDHC either.

Lots more margin in those two models. And he probably has them sittin on the shelf so he is probably just trying to get paid

So I called up Edge Audio here in the Phoenix area, and the manager there tells me his team is basically part of Pioneer Premier. They do all the new product testing and also travel around doing training on their new units. He says his shop is not even going to sell the F-series. He was suggesting I go for the AVIC-Z3 or the Kenwood DNX-8120. He said the voice command doesn't work nearly as well as they say (something about asking for Metallica and getting AC/DC). Blah blah... new technology, will take months to get stable, blah blah... only him and like 9 other people in the country have had their hands on it... blah blah just an inferior deck all around.

It sounds like a bunch of crap to try and unload some of their older decks on me to make room for the new ones. My question to Jason is, I have actual evidence of you having used the F90BT, can you honestly say its a better experience than the Z series or other nav decks you've used? The SD card slot and MSN Direct are big selling points for me (especially since I want Sirius and everyone seems to use XM for NavTraffic). I also like the front Aux input and the iPod control looks really sweet. Do you guys think this guy is just blowing smoke? Maybe he tried an early unit that didn't do as well?

So I was reading the manual for the 900BT and it says it DOES NOT support SDHC. This is a big downer cuz it means it will only accept SD cards up to 2gb only. I would also have to assume that the premier 90bt does not support SDHC either.

I,ve seen as high as 4 gig.

Hey Jason--Is there a mute button? Or some way to quickly mute music?
Nope, sorry. It does have a mute wire you could wire up though.

Hi...

If I'm not mistaken...Did i read this part right about MUTE function? on Page 14 of US F900BT Manual.

"Keep pressing the center of MULTI-CONTROL; Mutes the AV (Audio and Video) source. To cancel the muting, press and hold it again."

If I remember correctly, I think I read it is only compatible with FAT32.

However, there are lots of free utilities out there that will allow you to format any drive size in a FAT32 format.

I have done this with my external drive so that my xbox can read it.

Here is a link to the free utility that I use. Yes, it is safe. Yes it works. Just follow the directions exactly and you will be set.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

p.s. Keep in mind your HDD would need to be 2.5" or smaller so that the head unit can power it. If it's any bigger you will need an external power source.

AVIC-F SERIES MANUAL SAYS USB MAX. CAPACITY IS '2GB'.....MAN...THAT'S SOOO LOW...

BUT, HOWEVER, THE USB ADAPTOR THAT PIONEER PROVIDES FOR OLDER SERIES (cd-ub100)

( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... B100?tab=D ) SUPPORTS '250GB'......

ANY WORDS ON THIS GUYS???????

I ALREADY HAVE A 16GB USB DRIVE.....THIS IS A BUMMER....

I thought that is how you get the voice recognition to come up. Maybe you press it for voice, and hold it for mute. Sweet!

Hey Jason--Is there a mute button? Or some way to quickly mute music?
Nope, sorry. It does have a mute wire you could wire up though.

Hi...

If I'm not mistaken...Did i read this part right about MUTE function? on Page 14 of US F900BT Manual.

"Keep pressing the center of MULTI-CONTROL; Mutes the AV (Audio and Video) source. To cancel the muting, press and hold it again."