AVIC411.com

Ok, I know I'm new here, so forgive me if this isn't the right place to vent my frustrations.

I've been looking forward to this release for over a month now. My OCD has been in full swing, as my wife would say. Tired of having Nav in one car, but not the other.

I spent the evening reading the user manual for the 900, and I must say I am sadly disappointed.

How can Pioneer hype their voice control features for the F-Series, then not allow voice control for navigation? I can specify what artist I want to hear on an iPod via voice control, but if I want to find a gas station (or Chinese restaurant) while driving, I have to pull over, stop the vehicle, put the parking brake on, and then fiddle with the display? Are you kidding me?

Oh, and I can call my boss... at home, the office or his cell... Great. It's about time they got Bluetooth right.

I may be off base here, but in my opinion, "navigating" your IPod and your cell phone should not take priority to navigating the vehicle to your destination safely. What’s the POINT of POI's if you can't access them on command? I can fire up the Layla sessions with a simple phrase, yet I can't tell the blasted thing to get me home without taking my eyes off the road? Hands free voice control of the nav system, I thought, should be a no-brainer. My Lincoln has this feature and it’s 5 years old. The z series has this as well. I am thinking that this isn't something Pioneer couldn't do, but something they chose NOT to do. Lame.

So, I am glad, I guess, I didn't pre-order. But now I am back to square one in looking for a nav unit for my Mustang. I call upon the vast combined wisdom of the avic411 community to offer suggestions.

What I want-

Double Din with a decent display.

Voice controlled navigation, at least as advanced as what I have on a 5 year old Lincoln LS.

Decent Bluetooth hands free cell operation. Hard to come by, I know.

No disc swapping for nav data.

HD radio capability.

Ipod/USb would be nice, but I'll sacrifice that easily to be able to play mp3's off of a dual layer dvd-r.

I don't really care about watching video on the thing, parked or otherwise. Prefer flash based but a hard drive based unit would do. I don't care about dual zones, or multiple displays. No need for that in my mustang.

Is there any hope? If I am way out of line, let me know.

Thanks to all.

Ok, I know I'm new here, so forgive me if this isn't the right place to vent my frustrations.

I've been looking forward to this release for over a month now. My OCD has been in full swing, as my wife would say. Tired of having Nav in one car, but not the other.

I spent the evening reading the user manual for the 900, and I must say I am sadly disappointed.

How can Pioneer hype their voice control features for the F-Series, then not allow voice control for navigation? I can specify what artist I want to hear on an iPod via voice control, but if I want to find a gas station (or Chinese restaurant) while driving, I have to pull over, stop the vehicle, put the parking brake on, and then fiddle with the display? Are you kidding me?

Oh, and I can call my boss... at home, the office or his cell... Great. It's about time they got Bluetooth right.

I may be off base here, but in my opinion, "navigating" your IPod and your cell phone should not take priority to navigating the vehicle to your destination safely. What’s the POINT of POI's if you can't access them on command? I can fire up the Layla sessions with a simple phrase, yet I can't tell the blasted thing to get me home without taking my eyes off the road? Hands free voice control of the nav system, I thought, should be a no-brainer. My Lincoln has this feature and it’s 5 years old. The z series has this as well. I am thinking that this isn't something Pioneer couldn't do, but something they chose NOT to do. Lame.

So, I am glad, I guess, I didn't pre-order. But now I am back to square one in looking for a nav unit for my Mustang. I call upon the vast combined wisdom of the avic411 community to offer suggestions.

What I want-

Double Din with a decent display.

Voice controlled navigation, at least as advanced as what I have on a 5 year old Lincoln LS.

Decent Bluetooth hands free cell operation. Hard to come by, I know.

No disc swapping for nav data.

HD radio capability.

Ipod/USb would be nice, but I'll sacrifice that easily to be able to play mp3's off of a dual layer dvd-r.

I don't really care about watching video on the thing, parked or otherwise. Prefer flash based but a hard drive based unit would do. I don't care about dual zones, or multiple displays. No need for that in my mustang.

Is there any hope? If I am way out of line, let me know.

Thanks to all.

avic z3....it may not have every single thing you want but its alot closer than the F. and you can do a simple bypass for doing nav fuctions while your driving.....o and watch movies :D

The Bypas is a few easy steps and you will get everthing you want in a GPS. Remember that all, including new cars, have safety features in their units to limit use during vehicle operation for a reason, so when you defeat those features, the liability monkey is on your back not the manufacture. When you defeat the system, use comon sense and remember others on the road are holding your line.

Just make sure you don't care about the accuracy of the navigation, or the ability to actually use the Bluetooth connection to conveniently make phone calls if you go with the Z series.

I'm blown away by how far behind the aftermarket industry is from the OEM nav offerings. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to offer the same functionality that OEMs have been supplying for the last 4-5 years.

Just make sure you don't care about the accuracy of the navigation, or the ability to actually use the Bluetooth connection to conveniently make phone calls if you go with the Z series.

I'm blown away by how far behind the aftermarket industry is from the OEM nav offerings. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to offer the same functionality that OEMs have been supplying for the last 4-5 years.

i have a z1 and my gps is very accurate. jus the bluetooth sux because i have the adaptor mounted under my center console panel

That was exactly my point. They can offer these functions, the question is, why don't they. They used VoiceBox recognition in the f-series. Right from the VoiceBox Emedded product page...

Voice Search and control of Satellite Radio

Voice Search for Sports Scores, Traffic Reports, Weather Reports and Stock Quotes

Voice Search and control of music from CDs, iPods, mp3 devices and integrated hard drives

Voice empowered Bluetooth hands free dialing, including contact dialing and continuous digit dialing

Free-form voice destination entry that simplifies the use of In-Dash Navigation Systems and Portable Navigation Devices

"Free-form voice destination entry that simplifies the use of In-Dash Navigation Systems and Portable Navigation Devices"

They have been doing it for a while in the z's. OEM have been doing it for years. The only reason I can think of, is that they don't want to cannabalise the z3 sales. I'm curious how many paid the premium for a z just for that. I would think the HDD library, large display, and dual zones would be more of a selling point for the z.

They could have made a higher end f-series with the best of both, I would have paid a premium for that.

i have a z1 and my gps is very accurate. jus the bluetooth sux because i have the adaptor mounted under my center console panel

The accuracy isn't the problem, it always knows right where I am, the problem is the routing. It constantly provides the worst possible directions.

They have been doing it for a while in the z's. OEM have been doing it for years. The only reason I can think of, is that they don't want to cannabalise the z3 sales. I'm curious how many paid the premium for a z just for that. I would think the HDD library, large display, and dual zones would be more of a selling point for the z.

They could have made a higher end f-series with the best of both, I would have paid a premium for that.

That's the conclusion I came to as well, but given the price point of the F-series, we can only hope that the Z4 (if it maintains that naming scheme) will features the hardware and UI of the F-Series, in the Z form-factor, and complete with voice routing for the navigation.

I just wish they would have released that first, or concurrently with the F-Series because I'm getting sick of not having Nav in my new car.

Remember that all, including new cars, have safety features in their units to limit use during vehicle operation

Not quite true. My 2004 Acura TL allowed FULL control of all functions at any speed. All I had to do was tap the legal screen on startup and I could play with all I wanted whenever I wanted (and I never got in an accident either)

Our US of A is behind not only in aftermarket navi's but a lot of electronic gadgets in general. We are just moving over to G3 phone's when Asia/Europe is ready to move on to G4. PS3 came a lot earlier in Japan before coming to the states. Jr. High kids in Japan have better phones than all of us here in the states. We are one of the most advance county in the world, unfortunately we don't really get to capitalize on that claim as consumers most of the time.

Our US of A is behind not only in aftermarket navi's but a lot of electronic gadgets in general. We are just moving over to G3 phone's when Asia/Europe is ready to move on to G4. PS3 came a lot earlier in Japan before coming to the states. Jr. High kids in Japan have better phones than all of us here in the states. We are one of the most advance county in the world, unfortunately we don't really get to capitalize on that claim as consumers most of the time.

Actually here in the USofA we DO have the technology, we are just stopped or slowed down by the good 'ol FCC. It's not a point of can we do it, it's a point of when will the FCC let us and how will companies make the most money from it being released. And just to get you up to speed Pioneer is NOT and American company, Pioneer is headquartered in Tokyo. The same for Konami, the makers of Metal Gear Solid. But the bottom line is until the FCC approves it we won't get it in the good 'ol USofA.