AVIC411.com

Does anyone know what the name is for the connector type used to connect the XM Radio antenna to the GEX-P10XMT unit?

It's my understanding you can use an existing XM antenna and sauter a connector to the end to have it work with this unit. I went to Radio Shack this week, but they have no clue what connector type I am talking about.

Thanks.

Satellite radios use a version of the SMB (sub-miniature) connector known as the FAKRA. If you remove the plastic snap casing on the outside of the any connector the center is the same style. The outer case is what provides the indexing so that only certain antennas will connect to the hardware they were designed (or sold) with.

Be forewarned though, replacing an SMB an an RJ174 cable isn't as simple as soldering the new connector on. Coax is very difficult to splice correctly, especially if you don't have fairly accurate tools.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Was trying to use an existing XM antenna I have and add the connector to it to save from having to buy a $75 antenna from Pioneer direct. Trust me, I'd rather buy one, but not for $75. If you know o fsomeone selling one though, let me know. It's the only piece I have left for my entire AVIC setup.