AVIC411.com

On the fence F90BT or DNX 8120

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a F Series unit yet. But I can provide some comparison between the Z and DNX8120. I had a Z1 (with Z3 upgrade HDD) until about a month ago when I decided to install the DNX8120 in my car. I will do a quick review and comparison between these two units.

My Z1 had the iPod, XM NavTraffic, and Bluetooth options. My DNX8120 has the Sirius module.

Advantages of DNX8120:

1) iPod interface on Z3 is really slow and almost unusable. DNX8120 iPod user interface is amazingly fast. You also get a Album Art with multiline display. You also get both Audio/Video from the iPod connection. iPhone Video does not work.

2) Bluetooth module: Pioneer add-on bluetooth module can not synchronize with your address book. The DNX8120 works perfectly synchronize with most of the phones I have (HTC WM, iPhone, Motorola Razr and Sony Ericsson).

3) Garmin navigation: My initial impression of the Garmin navigation compare to Z3 is almost cartoonish. It also does not use VNSS (speed sensor) wire. I was really disappointed with the Garmin until I start to use it. I was extremely impress with the speed and accuracy of the Garmin navigator. I also like all the search features in Garmin to look for POI and addresses. I always had problem looking for POI in my Z3 navigation. I wish Garmin display would look more like the Z3 (with the 3D icons, etc).

Z3 Advantages:

1) UI is much better than DNX8120. I like the way the menu layout is in Z3. I also like the XM (logos) and maps display. DNX8120 menu is a bit confusing and require you to learn the menu.

2) Bluetooth sound quality (after the initial Z1 Bluetooth update). Even though I like the features of DNX8120 bluetooth function. Unfortunately I get much better sound quality (on the listener side) with my Z3. When I use my iPhone with DNX8120, the listener can barely understand me.

3) Display - The resolution of the Z3 is so much better than DNX8120. have a convertible. The Z3 display is much brighter.

4) Quality- The build quality is better with Pioneer

5) Sound Quality - This is debatable based on your setup. I prefer the sound quality of Z3.

After reading the postings in this forum I think it is clear that there are not one single unit that is perfect. I thought DNX8120 was close to perfect when I got it. But now I am not as positive. Sometime I wish I could go back to my Z3. Based on all the issues of the posting on the F series units, I will likely keep my DNX8120 for a while.

Looks like I am going to be selling both of mine. The stereo shop I got them from work help me with it at all so off to eBay they go.

I am putting the Z2 back in my wife's car and I am just going to put in a basic head unit in my car for now and wait and see what happens.

Looks like I am going to be selling both of mine. The stereo shop I got them from work help me with it at all so off to eBay they go.

I am putting the Z2 back in my wife's car and I am just going to put in a basic head unit in my car for now and wait and see what happens.

Why? From what I have heard following this thread, you seemed to be somewhat happy with it. Granted, the F series gave you some problems, most of them you said where livable. Why the sudden change of heart? I am surprised, I had to scroll back a few pages to see if I missed something because you seemed to be okay with it.

Sorry to tease guys. I will not be getting the 8120 for sure. It did not come in to my local shop today as scheduled. They did however have a brand new 90BT sitting in a box. The owner said that he spoke to Pioneer several days ago and that they are well aware of the problems with these units.

I'm probably going to keep this in the box for the weekend. Think about it some more.

I was set on the 90, but am now leaning towards the 8120. No hands on besides store displays, talked to install shops, read forums

Reasons:

Nav, bluetooth, and ipod are priorities for me. It has to work accurately, consistently, and quickly.

After reading this forum, going back and seeing if there were any trends in firmware updates (or lack thereof), problems, etc., in the z and d forums raised more concern. This site is about the only pioneer information with as much details from installs that I could find.

I spoke to two install shops and both strongly recommended, without reservation, the 8120. Several in one shop have them installed in their cars (might be some bias there). Both sell the 8120 and 90.

After reading multiple car-specific forums with 8120 installs, it's hard to find anything negative about the 8120 except the interface. In an above post, someone said the iphone bt connection wasn't good, but I also read on another forum that if you turn off wifi on the iphone, the bt is great.

8120:

more difficult/less attractive UI

Nav works - I've used garmin and it's spot on. It isn't fancy looking, but I'd rather get there, with tts, accurate/easy poi, etc., than to curse at cool 3d landmarks

Ipod: super fast, full control

BT: tons more positives than negatives

Full access to all controls (except dvd video) without bypass

90:

Great looking interface and backlighting options

Nav - what's the point in having a nav if it doesn't work flawlessly...or at least as good as a $200 garmin/tomtom.

Ipod - reports of locking up, disconnecting/reconnecting. good reports of spot-on vr control.

BT - haven't read one positive response based on installs

Bootup- 3 mins?..but you can hear the radio after 15-20 secs...if you left it on the radio before you turned off the car? I'm out of the neighborhood in 3 minutes. I timed the kenwood and it took about 40 secs. for full access.

So, with the 90, I'd be paying for a dream that it will someday work like the pioneer videos illustrate. Or, pay for an 8120 and it will work like the install shops and forum installs have described.

That's frustrating because I had my mind set on the 90...it's also frustrating because this forum seems to have extremely knowledgeable and helpful people. It would be nice to own a great product and share that experience with those here.

Am I missing anything?

Both sell the 8120 and 90.

Didn't think this was possible.

My understanding was Pioneer wouldn't let you sell premier if you were an excelon dealer.

Not casting doubt... Just asking.

Actually, you are probably right. One only had the 700 and the other had the 700 and 900.

My dealer just got the 90BTs in yesterday and has my 8120 coming in Monday. I took home the 90BT tonight. I installed it. I put it back in the box. MSN Direct gets NO COVERAGE in my area of central Jersey. According to the coverage map I should be bathing in it. I got one little bar of signal at one time down near the beach and like one little bar near my house that disappeared. I don't trust the MSN Direct tuners in these things. Right now, I'll GLADLY pay for NavWeather and Traffic if I can get it ANYWHERE at any time. I had the 90BT installed for a grand total of about 20 minutes. Had all the same problems, same error messages, only this time, the voice control did not work AT ALL. I expected to have the same problems pretty much but hoped at least to have the iPod work somewhat better with the real cable and not the PC one that I was using and hoped to not have points of interest error out like it did on my 700BT. The software on these units just seems too intense for the processors that they are equipped with. It constantly feels like working with a really slow computer.

Watching the video of the 8120, I can't wait. I really can't wait til Monday.