AVIC411.com

On the fence F90BT or DNX 8120

I agree; I thought the F90BT unit featured in Jason's video looked great. Just a thought - I wonder if Mikeinnj's vehicle has DRLs and he wired illumination wire into that circuit - thus the unit thinks the headlights are on in daytime?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

day/night only changes the map, not the rest of the screens.

Its usable even now. If there are some color choices added we'll be great. It may just be me but the overall speed of the unit seems better with it bypassed.

I have a canbus adapter, the illumination is not the problem. The DRLs have nothing to do with the illumination feed that it gets from the canbus.

I have had two other units that dimmed properly off the same feed when the head lights are on. When you go into the video settings to adjust the brightness on the F series, if I turn my headlights on, the brightness setting goes from 10 to 8. That is how you adjust for each setting. Turn headlights off, adjust for day viewing, turn headlights on and the setting for night time can be changed. Well, I'll post pics on Thursday to compare to when my 8120 comes in.

With the 700BT, when I drive with my sunglasses on (most of the time), the screen looks like its ALMOST off.

The resolution of the Kenwood is less at 480x234 vs 800x480. But at these tiny screen sizes, there's no noticeable difference for interfaces, menus, maps, etc but is more noticeable with DVDs. Dvds have resolution of 720x480 which is damn close to the F series native resolution.

However, though the resolution on the Kenwood is lower, the screen is much more vibrant and bright, even in direct sunlight. I had the 5120 and could see it clearly even on the brightest of conditions.

Rdkl talked out the issue of screen brightness yesterday when he had the same problem of not being able see the screen with sunglasses on. He has 90BTs. All the units have the same screen so I can only assume that all would be somewhat hard to read in ambient daylight.

I never had problems or complaints of the outgoing phone audio quality on my 5120 with the bluebooth box. People were not able to tell that I was on a speaker phone.

mikeinnj - Thanks for the feedback.

I am really on the fence. I don't believe that the 8120 has any of the MSN Direct stuff like showtimes, gas preices, traffic, etc or does it?

I also read that the F does not allow you to say "call Jill" like the cheeseball actor did in the pioneer traffic video (at least with an Iphone).

Now the screen looks like a washed out has been? If this is confrimed in other installs - there are going to be many unhappy F owners.

Is the NAV routing inferior to the 8120. Which unit did I see options to select from: shortest vs. fastest vs most economical ??

Garmin beats the crap out of the Pioneer nav hands down. Mainly due to it not crashing when searching POI and text to speech actually working for street names. The only thing that I wish the Garmin had was to be able to direct dial the POI via bluetooth like the F series can. But when the POI search crashes damn near every time, and the outgoing Bluetooth sounds terrible.. well its not very much fun.

With the Kenwood you can get the GXM 30 XM Radio tuner that gets XM Radio, NavTraffic as well as NavWeather and puts it all through the nice looking Garmin interface. It will overlay weather conditions on the map just like the weather channel.

Sorry if I am sounding like a broken record regarding the F series, it's just that from the looks of it, there ARE going to be a lot of pissed off people in the next couple of weeks. I just want to help other people wait off on these for a bit and see what happens. Many of the people here are buying online and will not be able to easily return these units (if able to at all) like I was with my local shop. I have heavily anticipated these units since the day they were announced and so far have been a huge let down in EVERY respect. Most of the issues could be fixed via firmware, but I know that only the major bugs will be fixed eventually.

I was on the fence the whole week about what to do, should I return it?, etc. Every time I got in the car and used the unit some more, my answer became clearer as I found something else wrong with the unit and pushed me closer to the edge of getting rid of it. Like this morning, I found that you have to press the XM presets twice every time to get it to register. Press presets button, presets menu comes up, press preset #1, the chime sounds, but nothing happens, then I have to press it again to get it to go. Minor annoyance, but it worked better on the D3 and most likely will not get fixed on this. Too small of a bug. What pushed me over the edge was this afternoon, I was navigating home, I got a phone call, the guy could not hear me, and while trying to yell into the mic and shield it from any possible background noise, the nav would not shut up (You are over the speed limit, recalculating route, turn around, recalculating route, turn right in 400 feet, you are over the speed limit). The thing was going berserk. Like I said, I just want to warn all the other early adopters of the F series as these things in their current state are not where they should be software wise.

Garmin beats the crap out of the Pioneer nav hands down. Mainly due to it not crashing when searching POI and text to speech actually working for street names. The only thing that I wish the Garmin had was to be able to direct dial the POI via bluetooth like the F series can. But when the POI search crashes damn near every time, and the outgoing Bluetooth sounds terrible.. well its not very much fun.

With the Kenwood you can get the GXM 30 XM Radio tuner that gets XM Radio, NavTraffic as well as NavWeather and puts it all through the nice looking Garmin interface. It will overlay weather conditions on the map just like the weather channel.

My Garmin nuvi 360 with bluetooth will direct dial POI's Are you sure the 8120 won't do this?

Yeah, the bluetooth in this unit is done by parrot and not through the Garmin interface. Check out the Navi portion of the user manual here: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/113/113DNX8120.PDF

The navi part is at the bottom portion of the PDF. As you can see, the Navtraffic/Weather is beautifully integrated to the Nav software with the ability to check the weather near the POI and much more.

I got rid of it about a month or so before I got the 700BT. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY thing that made me get rid of it was that the F series had voice control and loved that idea. Other than that I had no stability problems with the 5120. Great sound, wicked fast iPod control, great bluetooth, and a VERY sensitive touch screen (Or more responsive interface). Way, way more responsive than my D3 and much more than the F700. I never, ever had to press the same spot twice to get things to register.

What is the point of iPod voice control if everything else makes me take my eyes off the road every two seconds.

Though, one very positive thing about the voice control for the bluetooth. I was messing around with it the other day, I made a farting noise into the mic and it called my exgirlfriend. That was quite funny to me and my fellow occupants.

Though, one very positive thing about the voice control the for the bluetooth. I was messing around with it the other day, I made a farting noise into the mic and it called my exgirlfriend. That was quite funny to me and my fellow occupants.

:lol:

The thing is, I KNEW there were going to be bugs. But more minor bugs. Things like the bluetooth dropping the phone, or the voice control being a bit off, or the "Menu" button not working on the iPod screen like on the D3. Little things. I was prepared to see some glitches and weird stuff.

Freezing, restarting, and error messages due to finding POI, taking 3 minutes to start up, and the bluetooth being pretty much totally useless for talking to others are not things that I would expect to have gone wrong out of the box. I did not have any issues like this with the D3 or the 5120.