AVIC411.com

Owners: Post your issues here.

Guys all this crap is really starting to get to me too. Im still waiting on my f90, I assume its caught in the halt on shipment but Im really starting to consider the DNX-8120. This is hard as Ive never own any other brand then Pioneer. The Kenwood unit has a wealth of features and appears to be for the most part trouble free. The one thing that I cant stand about the Kenwood units is that cartoonish map animation.

best advice would be to wait till the FW update is released and see whats fixed

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Model: F700BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : iPod, Phone

AV Source (if playing) during issue: iPod - phone dialing

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): Pressed hang up after phone was already hung up??

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) No

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Motorola W385

Anything else you would like to add:

Ever since this incident that produced a Application Tele error, the system would reset as soon as the phone connected. I had to remove the phone and nav unit from phone and nav respectively until it would allow the phone to connect again. It would flash the application error each time before restarting. Reset did nothing.

Model: F700BT

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : iPod, Phone

AV Source (if playing) during issue: iPod - phone dialing

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): Pressed hang up after phone was already hung up??

Was GPS routing? (yes/no) No

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device? Motorola W385

Anything else you would like to add:

Ever since this incident that produced a Application Tele error, the system would reset as soon as the phone connected. I had to remove the phone and nav unit from phone and nav respectively until it would allow the phone to connect again. It would flash the application error each time before restarting. Reset did nothing.

Ditto! Mine has been doing the same thing with my Samsung M300 phone. Finally just shut the bluetooth off on my phone =o(

What is the best way to have these addressed? So to summarize some of the stuff we're seeing:

4. Rear view camera doesn't activate until the unit is fully booted up, which means it's useless when leaving your driveway in the morning.

This is not true on my F700BT. Rear view IS available during boot. It's available about the same time as the previous audio source starts playing (just a few seconds). During bootup, you can't manually select it via the AV Source menu, but it DOES switch immediately to the camera when the car is put into reverse.

-Eric

I sent this list to my dealer and he in turn posted it on internal tech sites and emailed it to his Pioneer rep this morning. Thought I would share it with you guys seeing as how you are the ONLY forum who actually share my pain.

PROS AND CONS FOR AVIC F900BT

PROS:

PHONEBOOK TRANSFER: Very fast and extremely convenient for importing of phone contacts.

CUSTOMIZABLE SPLASH SCREEN: Very cool to add your images via SD or USB for the splash screen, Would be much improved if the unit offered a resizing photo option as there is a specific size your photo needs to be for it to be optimized by the unit.

ILLUMINI COLOR: A very cool option that allows you to customize the color of the illuminated buttons on the nav control deck.

BLUETOOTH VOICE RECOGNITION (Calls): The unit is able to recognize most contacts and dial them with efficiency and accuracy.

3D MAP DISPLAY: The ability to switch between a 2D and 3D map environment is really helpful for navigating terrain and metropolitan areas.

IPOD CONTROL: In a virtual clone of the ipod interface, the ability to control most functions of your ipod from the unit screen is very positive.

CONS:

PHONEBOOK TRANSFER AND IPOD LISTING: The unit seems to alphabetize everything. The ipod interface is all alphabetized which ruins the original track listing of albums and podcasts. The same goes for the phonebook transfer option. No matter how you have your Contacts displayed on your phone, the unit insists on listing last name first.

NO VOICE MUTING DURING NAVIGATION: Earlier AVIC units offered an option that allowed you to either mute the AV source, fade the AV source or simply play over the AV source during navigation routes. This time around, your AV source be it ipod, fm radio, or CD is cut off completely during navigation. Extremely annoying for your average motorist.

LOADUP SCREEN: The unit take approximately 2-3 minutes for full startup upon ignition of the vehicle. This is completely unacceptable. Past unit bootups were anywhere from 25 seconds to a minute. My dealer brought up an excellent point. Anyone with a rear mounted camera has to wait the full 3 minutes for their camera to be accessible so they can back out of their parking space. This pretty much renders a camera pointless.

MALFUNCTIONING KEY TONE MUTE: The unit gives you the option to turn off the beep when you press a key. However, it only works sparingly. Most buttons and interfaces will still beep even if you have the mute feature on.

MSN DIRECT: This seems like a cool feature, but it only works for approximate regions. For instance it gives you the option for Los Angeles, but anything in the surrounding region such as Pomona, Orange County, or the Inland Empire is inaccessible. More often than not MSN DIRECT displays (No Data Found for Your Area)

PHONE CALL DISPLAY SCREEN: During a phone call, a black rectangular screen appears that tracks your call progress. This is fine and all, but the screen is obtrusive and freezes the entire unit. It reverts to the map screen in the background and no other feature is available to you while the call is in progress. Also any number it does not recognize from your contacts lists it as UNKNOWN, it would be nice if it just displayed the number dialed. The manual acknowledges this as if it's normal and we shouldn't expect to be multitasking.

LACK OF VOICE CONTROL FOR NAVIGATION: This was extremely puzzling to me. You can control Bluetooth phone and ipod with voice but you can't control navigation. It's the primary function of the unit and was deprived of this feature making it inconvenient and dangerous to access your touchscreen while mobile or having to park and reroute.

FREEZES AND NAVIGATION DISPLAYS: The unit will constantly freeze and then catch up a few seconds later. Also switching between 2D display and 3D display is hit and miss. The button is not very responsive. Occassionally while you track along with your arrow, the map will stop but the arrow will proceed right off the screen, only to catch up a few seconds later. Sometimes it does not catch up at all and the route has to be cancelled and then input again. This seems to have been temporarily solved after fiddling with display settings.

OVERALL SLUGGISHNESS: The entire interface is very slow and plodding. Sometimes when you press a button for a feature you will hear a beep but the menu won't turn over until about 10 seconds later. Switching between modes and menus is also very slow and non responsive.

VIDEO PLAYBACK ON IPOD: Any video no matter how big or small on the ipod takes a minumum of 6 minutes to boot up and play. I have tested this option thoroughly and it is the same between a 3 minute video and a 2 hour movie. Also the title screen and artist screen always displays UNKNOWN.

IPOD STARTUP AND REBOOTING: Very hit and miss here. Sometimes after starting the car again, the ipod will snap right to life and play where it left off, but more often that not, it requires you disconnect and reconnect the cable before the PIONEER logo appears on the ipod screen and you are ready to go.

TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS: This might be a personal preference but this unit seems to update you every 5 seconds on your route about where to turn, what lane to stay in, and where to enter/exit a freeway. I know that is the goal to guide you, but it feels like the thing is chattering to you the entire route and that is extremely annoying.

IPOD USAGE WARNING SCREEN AND REBOOTING: Upon booting up your ipod, a screen appears that says IPOD USE MAY BE LIMITED AT THIS TIME. This screen does not vanish for approximately 8 minutes and then it displays something about the Voice Recognition Data either loading correctly or incorrectly. This is horribly confusing and halts most operation.

BLUETOOTH CALL QUALITY: I have made about 15 calls with my Handsfree unit and only 3 of those calls were coherent and clear. Other call complaints were: Soft voice, wind tunnel sound while in motion, choppy and erratic reception, distortion, etc. The entire point of Bluetooth is for premiere handsfree technology. When a thousand dollar unit cannot duplicate the call quality of a hundred dollar earpiece, then something is very wrong. It was a real laugh/cry moment when I got through to Pioneer Tech Support (after 20 minutes) and the tech said "I can barely hear you, your voice is garbled and erratic." And I screamed back "I'M TALKING TO YOU ON A PIONEER UNIT YOU HAPLESS TECHNO WEENIE!" That happens when I pay 1200 bucks for a brick with pretty colors.

GENERAL MAP DISPLAYS: When the map is on and you have no route plotted, Two green boxes remain on the display. A long green rectangular one on the top and a large green square in the top left where the turn by turn icon usually is. When I am simply viewing the map with no route plotted, I want these boxes gone and there is no way to do this.

NO OPERATIONS MANUAL SHIPPED: As I understand it this unit went out with no operation manual included, leaving the consumer to download and print it. The manual is a total of 192 pages and is an immense burden to have to print out. Calls to Pioneer revealed that you could purchase a manual for $19.29 and wait the 4-6 weeks backorder. Unacceptable.

I understand that this is an unofficial beta test of the unit, but I also understand that this product was rushed out to market. It feels unfinished,untested and with a complete lack of user satisfaction. After visiting several public forums I have found these problems are shared by all users of the F900BT not some, ALL. We are all desperately awaiting Pioneer to issue a solution expediently.

Wow, and I thought my D3 was a piece of crap. Good luck with that!!!

Guest astrobill

Guys:

You all better stop posting about all the problems with the F-series and how mad you are! If you don't, HiFiSi and his minions on here will all post about how you're just complaining and how Pioneer is the best thing since sliced bread! Remember, this site is about how great the AVICs are, not about trying to get Pioneer to stop using you as product testers for prototype equipment!

LOL

hehehehe

Guys:

You all better stop posting about all the problems with the F-series and how mad you are! If you don't, HiFiSi and his minions on here will all post about how you're just complaining and how Pioneer is the best thing since sliced bread! Remember, this site is about how great the AVICs are, not about trying to get Pioneer to stop using you as product testers for prototype equipment!

LOL

hehehehe

shut up and go back under the bridge. no one finds you funny and your just makin yourself look like a whiny little bitch.

I want to add to my previous 700bt issues:

Phone:

-Besides not having the voice activation, When someone calls me and the phone dialog pops it only displays the persons phone# even though the number is connected to a contact in the contacts list. This makes it impossible to tell who is calling me if I don't recognize the number.

-When calling someone from the contacts list the phone dialog doesn't always pop up leaving me with the navigation screen but no way to hang up or change volume during a call once a call has ended it takes 1-2 minutes before the unit realizes that the call has ended and gives me control and resumes music.

5.5 gen Ipod

-Besides connecting whenever it feels appropriate and no voice control. Video playback is inconsistent. On a freshly restored ipod the time between selecting a title to play and the video starting is approx. 1 sec. After a couple days, time between select and start is a couple minutes. You can tell it is occurring because the avic doesn't display the track title for the video, but does on the freshly restored ipod.

-Also the video title display and ipod logo on the top and bottom of the screen don't always disappear after a couple seconds sometimes its there and sometimes its not.

you have to wonder if Pioneer is reading this thread and tracking each of the well-documented issues or if they are flying completely blind and unaware of the depth of the problems.

pioneer is well aware of the problems and is going to fix them. just relax and be patient. no big company would mass produce such a bugged unit, and then ignore the first ones shipped out. i dont think anybody on here has a unit thats so bugged its unusable. yes it sux, its slow, but u kno wat ur nav works ur ipod plugs in, theres already a bypass for it, just be patient.

pioneer is well aware of the problems and is going to fix them. just relax and be patient. no big company would mass produce such a bugged unit, and then ignore the first ones shipped out. i dont think anybody on here has a unit thats so bugged its unusable. yes it sux, its slow, but u kno wat ur nav works ur ipod plugs in, theres already a bypass for it, just be patient.

You're right! Just gotta wait. Question for you. How you customize the screen shown in your pic? Is there a thread I don't know about that explains this? Nice mod.

You're right! Just gotta wait. Question for you. How you customize the screen shown in your pic? Is there a thread I don't know about that explains this? Nice mod.

You basically create a, 800x480 jpg/bmp picture and load it on an SD card or USB stick. There's an option in the settings that let you change the splash (startup) screen. You just load the pic in and that's it.

Changing the splash screen

You can change the splash screen that appears

when the navigation system starts. Copy

your favorite image to the external storage device

(USB, SD), and select the image to import.

p Splash screen images should be used within

the following formats;

— BMP or JPEG files

— Allowable horizontal and vertical size

are 2 592 x 1 944 or smaller

— Allowable data size is 15MB or smaller

p Proper compatibility with allowable files is

not guaranteed.

p Imported original images will be stored in

the built-in memory, but the ability to save

these images cannot be guaranteed completely.

If your original image data is deleted,

set the external storage device (USB,

SD) again and re-import the original image.

1 Create a folder named “Pictures†on the

top-most directory of the external storage

device (USB, SD) and store the picture files

in this folder.

2 Insert the SD memory card into the SD

card slot or plug the USB storage device to

the USB connector.

3 Touch [splash Screen] on the “System

Settings†menu.

= For details, refer to Displaying the “System

Settings†menu on page 134.

The navigation system checks the external storage