AVIC411.com

Owners: Post your issues here.

That is all understood but Pioneers tech support reps attitude has been far less then responsible or appropriate. It is just concerning that they may treat this situation as they have in the past. I do hope this time will be different or that by some good luck I dont have the same problems as others. As far as these units on paper, yes far superior then anything I have seen recently.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think that was it. I have 2 iPOD's that are MAC formatted and voice control works fine. Maybe it was the just the reformatting and recataloging that fixed some glitch in the iPOD. I mean, I'm glad it works for you, but that might not be the underlying problem. The unit is "iPOD ready" which means, more likely than not, it's meant to be mac formatted as opposed to PC.

After reformatting my second larger video ipod it wasn't working again. So I'm guessing it has something to do with what's on the ipod. Which isnt good either since there is about 70gigs of material to sort through and I dont know what I'm looking for.

I just spoke to my Al n Eds salesman and he told me that my 90BT will be in tomorrow. He also asked, with a bit of concern if I knew of all the issues these units were having. I told him I was aware and was expecting a firmware update to resolve. He mentioned that his rep said this was the case.

Take that with a grain of salt but I am sure Pioneer is working to resolve these issue quickly. Lets hang in there :) I for one cant wait to get mine.

Model: f900bt

Devices Connected: iPod

AV Source (if playing) during issue: ANYTHING

Action that caused the issue (pressed button, search, etc): No idea, used it?

Was GPS routing? Yes

Was BlueTooth active? Yes, Sanyo Katana phone

Anything else you would like to add:

This thing has SOOO many bugs and issues, I'm extremely upset and unhappy with my purchase. The bluetooth is literall UNUSABLE because of the distortion outgoing.

The ipod will stop playing for NO reason, making you re-connect it all the time... at which point it spends another 5-minutes cataloging for voice recognition, during which you can't change artist or ANYTHING!

Today my ipod stopped working on it, and nothing I do will make it come back. Re-plugging, re-powering... master reset... NOTHING WORKS.

I'm so mad, I could burst right now... :cry:

I have an F90BT. For the most part I'm not THAT dissatisfied except for one thing.

I have all the same issues as most of the posters.

Bluetooth sound quality is terrible on the receiving end (I've tried messing with the volume but it doesn't seem to help -- any more successful hints?). No ability to dial by name / voice (i.e. "Call John Smith Mobile"). Also, wasn't it supposed to announce street names (TTS?) like "Turn left at La Jolla Drive"?

BUT, my biggest beef. The one that might result in my returning the unit is the display. It is incredibly dim even at the highest (+10) setting. I've swtiched the display to Day Only and based on the Pioneer customer support call have removed and capped the orange and white dimmer wire. They thought that my daytime running lights were tricking the system into thinking it was always night. That caused no change. The display is basically unreadable on a sunny day. I can't read the map nor can I tell what channel I'm on.

Is it just my unit? I've heard some grumbling, but not much. Are most people satisfied with the brightness of the display?

Is this something curable via a firmware fix? It seems like a hardware issue that is unrepairable. But I'm not an engineer. If it's not curable I'm going to be struggling to justify keeping this.

I have an F90BT. For the most part I'm not THAT dissatisfied except for one thing.

I have all the same issues as most of the posters.

Bluetooth sound quality is terrible on the receiving end (I've tried messing with the volume but it doesn't seem to help -- any more successful hints?). No ability to dial by name / voice (i.e. "Call John Smith Mobile"). Also, wasn't it supposed to announce street names (TTS?) like "Turn left at La Jolla Drive"?

BUT, my biggest beef. The one that might result in my returning the unit is the display. It is incredibly dim even at the highest (+10) setting. I've swtiched the display to Day Only and based on the Pioneer customer support call have removed and capped the orange and white dimmer wire. They thought that my daytime running lights were tricking the system into thinking it was always night. That caused no change. The display is basically unreadable on a sunny day. I can't read the map nor can I tell what channel I'm on.

Is it just my unit? I've heard some grumbling, but not much. Are most people satisfied with the brightness of the display?

Is this something curable via a firmware fix? It seems like a hardware issue that is unrepairable. But I'm not an engineer. If it's not curable I'm going to be struggling to justify keeping this.

I don't have any problems with my display at all. I've actually not even touched the brightness. Of course, the car and unit location have a lot to do with that.

Also, on my unit, it seems the display only dims after it gets dark and not so much by the light switch input only. Does anyone know if the unit uses what time it is to decide when the display will change to night mode?

I don't have an illumination output on my car, so my line is capped. The unit does seem to go by date/time when this is the case ... seems like after 9pm or so it switches to night view.

Mine isn't a problem unless it's late afternoon where the sun comes in low across my windows.

As far as TTS voice, you have to go back and change your navigation voice to Samantha ... Jason is a more normal sounding voice, but can't do text to speech. Samantha is computerized, but can read street names. However, she's european in origin so she reads 1.2 miles as one-comma-two miles.

This seems to be a real bug up people's asses. Personally I could care less whether she says "comma" or "point". I know what she's saying regardless. If she says "one corndog two miles" I'd still know how far I am from the turn. Honestly I don't know why a few people here are going ape-balls over this simple thing ... I'd much rather have voice-dial-by-name than a stupid computer voice read "one-point-two miles". I say lets have a little common sense.

I couldn't stand Samantha.... had to change back to Jason.

I would rather have a voice that was bearable, over that half-retarded sounding computer voice.

Plus, it warns you a RIDICULOUS amount of times before a turn... so it's hard to miss even if you don't hear the actual name. You can glance over and read it.

I'm a newb to your community here, but I think I have some helpful advice for those experiencing slow start ups and painful iPod connections.

I spoke with a rep from Pioneer and he told me to turn off the VR cataloging. This feature only needs to be on if you have new items on your iPod. Once your iPod has been cataloged, the names TTS will be stored inside the unit. If the VR catalog is turned on, the AVIC reads the iPod every time you turn on the unit.

The rep told me this would create drags in the viewing maps and switching from source to source.

If someone has already posted this info and I am just repeating it....that's why I'm the newb, but it also is indicative of my Adult ADD.

Oh yeah... the bypass worked perfectly on the 700. Nice work. Now if I could only get a better dash kit for an 08 Ridgline! :D

Model: F900BT (European version)

Devices Connected (XM, iPod, etc) : USB stick

AV Source (if playing) during issue: USB

Was BlueTooth active? If yes, what device?: Sometimes, HTC TyTn II

Anything else you would like to add:

I have a UK spec F900BT and it's not too bad, but there are some issues that are really annoying me -

1) When you are playing music from a USB stick and you switch to the map screen the audio stutters, and only stops when you quit the map screen. This makes USB audio unusable when navigating. Playback from SD and CD/DVD is fine - it's as if the Nav is "stealing" bandwidth from the USB bus.

2) When using certain USB sticks, music doesn't resume when you power up the unit, and you have to unplug and plug the stick back in to make the unit "see" it. Other USB sticks work fine.

3) Movie playback from USB/SD. I've created an mp4 file as per the instructions (640*480 resolution, <480kbps bitrate) but I can't get it to play back smoothly - the video is a bit slow, as if the unit can't decode it fast enough. Lowering the bitrate doesn't seem to make any difference. Divx playback from USB/SD would be nice too, but I think that might be asking a bit much! :)

4) When making/answering a phone call, the unit always jumps to the map screen. Why?

5) There's no way to choose which number to dial for a contact (home, work, mobile etc), the unit just picks the first one.

6) Fan noise. I'm not using the internal amp for anything; only the preouts. When the volume goes above about 40 the internal fan starts to get noisy, but it shouldn't need to if the amp isn't doing any work! The fan "hunts" a lot too, and the constant change in pitch/volume is annoying.