AVIC411.com

All I can say at this point is that I have a D3 and it has never not once given me any problems with its bluetooth. I will be getting the F90bt soon. I will probably leave the mic where it is now in an effort to make the installation easier. I will post results as soon as I have them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents....

I installed this a few days ago and love everything BUT the bluetooth, which was one of the main reasons for getting this. I have had factory systems in a nissan maxima, and now in my wife's bmw, and they both worked/work awesome. I currently drive an armada and use an iphone.....(For reference of course)

I gave my wife a call and she said it was horrible. I could hear her fine, but she could hardly understand me. I located my mic in the center overhead console, just like the factory installs on our other vehicles.

I wanted to hear for myself, so i called the house and listed to myself on the answering machine. Yep, I could hardly understand myself. I pulled the mic out, and was using it at all different locations, in front, above, even 1 inch from my mouth and it remained the same :(

I then tried it with the engine off... It sounded PERFECT!

Also, it didnt matter where the microhone was located, it sounded nearly the same, didnt matter if i was 1 inch away, or 3 feet away. As long as the engine is off, I must say, I sound awesome!

The only problem, THE ENGINE HAS TO BE OFF!!!!

I can't believe it!

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I called pioneer.

They said it is the microhone causing the problem. I asked how he was sure, he said they have had no other issues, so it must be that. He didn't even ask what unit I had...

I just don't buy it. What would be wrong with the mic, that would cause it not to work when the motor is running?

has anyone tried the bypass for the F-series? maybe it has something to do with that...even though its unlikely.

bypassing the unit shouldnt affet the microphone quality....maybe its sensitive when it comes to feedback...i have a z3 and the mic is in the dash away from the speakers but the calls are still bad when the engine is on. fine when engines off

hmm. thats tru. if until the microphone for the Fseries is fixed, can't everyone just use the mirophone that came with the D3/ buy another aftermarket one? i know we're paying a lot for the headunit and expect everything to work, but i guess that could be an option. i've also seen microphones placed on the driver side visor, but everyone else has them placed in the dash. which one would you guys recommend?

hmm. thats tru. if until the microphone for the Fseries is fixed, can't everyone just use the mirophone that came with the D3/ buy another aftermarket one? i know we're paying a lot for the headunit and expect everything to work, but i guess that could be an option. i've also seen microphones placed on the driver side visor, but everyone else has them placed in the dash. which one would you guys recommend?

its all about preference and creativity. putting it on ur visor is cleaner but you can see a wire. if ur ocd like me and cant have any wires showing, a custom fit is the better way...whichever route u go it doesnt seem to effect the quality cuz it still sux when ppl put it inches from their mouth.

For my situation, it is not the engine noise iteself causing the problem. Heck, I can barely even hear the motor inside the cabin.

The weirdest thing, is that as before, when engine is off it sounds perfect, when engine is running it sounds horrible.

Well, I tested it again, this time starting with the engine on. I continue talking while I turn the engine off. No change in the quality. It seems to get the quality reception atleast for me, the head unit has to be turned on with the engine having NEVER been running. Wouldn't it make sence that as soon as I turn the motor off, the quality would improve?

This leads me to believe it has NOTHING to do with the microphone. I thought maybe there was some sort of interference from the motor, but if this was the case then when I turn the motor off, the quality would have improved, right? All the microphone is, is a wire. There is nothing to it.

I just don't get it. When the motor is running, it's not that you can't hear me, as much as it is that you cannot understand me.

Okay, this is really frustrating me. I just went out to the truck and messed with it again.

Engine off, engine on, AC off, and On, etc.

Only this time, all calls sound like crap!

I know I wasn't crazy about the quality previously, since that call is still on my answering machine. The difference is night and day.

This is really frustrating.

It just eliminates the engine on engine off theory. By the way, mine is bypassed. Maybe I should undo the bypass and try again. That makes me sad :(

It sounds like if the problem were with an amp and not a headunit, the solution would be some sort of ground loop isolator. Unfortunately, that does not look like something that can be done on a headunit. I noticed that when dialing out, while the phone was ringing, there was all sorts of faint whines, clicks, and pops and general hissing/noise while the thing was ringing. It's definitely a problem with the bluetooth hardware as the bluetooth software side works pretty damn well. Hopefully this can somehow get resolved through firmware update. (Maybe some sort of gain adjustment?) It can not be the microphone as the voice control for iPod on my 700 was spot on every single time.

It sounds like if the problem were with an amp and not a headunit, the solution would be some sort of ground loop isolator. Unfortunately, that does not look like something that can be done on a headunit. I noticed that when dialing out, while the phone was ringing, there was all sorts of faint whines, clicks, and pops and general hissing/noise while the thing was ringing. It's definitely a problem with hardware as the software side works pretty damn well. Hopefully this can somehow get resolved through firmware update. (Maybe some sort of gain adjustment?) It can not be the microphone as the voice control for iPod on my 700 was spot on every single time.

Mine does the same thing... Hisses, pops, etc. Even sometimes when I call, I don't hear the rings. Most of the time I do though.

As far as a firmware update, they think nothing is wrong. Atleast what the one pioneer help desk guy said

well heres another thing to consider....could be useful, may not...but when the car is just on, not running, it has a 12 volt current...when the car is started it has a 14-15 volt current...like i said may not even be related to the quality but itd make sense somehow.

Very true. The increased voltage to the system has to be causing this. Hopefully a firmware update can lower the voltage going into the Bluetooth portion of the unit. Otherwise a resistor may be in order. Or it could very well be the increased voltage to the onboard amps causes the interference with the bluetooth. It really could be anything.

Okay, here's the question. Is the D3 mic shielded (electrically) whereas the Z and F mics are not. If so, then this is 100% the problem. It's not so much engine noise as it is electrical (noise) coming from the engine.