AVIC411.com

Just curious, to everyone with mic issues.

How much of the wire for the mic are you using? What are you doing with the rest of the mic cord?

I ask because in the interest of keeping the wires tidy, I bet a lot of folks are rolling the extra wire into a loop and tucking it into the dash.

Bad idea if that is what you did. Shielded or not, a looped wire is an inductor, and as such, any eletromagnetic noise in the car (there will be a lot in modern cars) will induce a small amount of current in the wire. That small amout is usually incidental to speaker wires (and to a certain extent rca pre-amp signal cables). But your mic channel is very sensitive to that noise. 'Tis the nature of a microphone.

So, If you are having mic issues, and have your mic cord wrapped up, stretch it out and try it. Just a thought.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, to everyone with mic issues.

How much of the wire for the mic are you using? What are you doing with the rest of the mic cord?

I ask because in the interest of keeping the wires tidy, I bet a lot of folks are rolling the extra wire into a loop and tucking it into the dash.

Bad idea if that is what you did. Shielded or not, a looped wire is an inductor, and as such, any eletromagnetic noise in the car (there will be a lot in modern cars) will induce a small amount of current in the wire. That small amout is usually incidental to speaker wires (and to a certain extent rca pre-amp signal cables). But your mic channel is very sensitive to that noise. 'Tis the nature of a microphone.

So, If you are having mic issues, and have your mic cord wrapped up, stretch it out and try it. Just a thought.

Another excellent thought. ;)

so the main cause could be, idk the right term....electrostatic feedback im gonna guess? from the engine or a rolled wire....BRILLIANT!!!

another suggestion to help with the quality, u ever see mirophones at a recording studio? they have a film over them to prevent air/wind-like noises from being recorded....could be a nice addition to your microphone.

so the main cause could be, idk the right term....electrostatic feedback im gonna guess?

I would call it inductive noise or feedback. If you have it looped up right next to the head unit, there could be a lot of noise.

Never coil wire unless you are actually building an inductor.

Okay, here's the question. Is the D3 mic shielded (electrically) whereas the Z and F mics are not. If so, then this is 100% the problem. It's not so much engine noise as it is electrical (noise) coming from the engine.

I thought this was the case, unfortunately for my situation, even sometimes when the motor is off it sounds like crapola....

Has anyone else with mic problems tried the motor on motor off test?

Okay, here's the question. Is the D3 mic shielded (electrically) whereas the Z and F mics are not. If so, then this is 100% the problem. It's not so much engine noise as it is electrical (noise) coming from the engine.

I thought this was the case, unfortunately for my situation, even sometimes when the motor is off it sounds like crapola....

Has anyone else with mic problems tried the motor on motor off test?

when i first linked the phone my engine was off. i called my mother to see how itd work and she said it worked perfectly. the same day when i was on my way to my fiance's house she said i sounded far away and there was alot of echoing.

The engine is not the only source of noise.

If your mic wire is rolled up near the head unit, the head unit itself could be interfering.

Never hurts to try. Basic troubleshooting, try to eliminate as many variables as possible.

if that was directed at me then

1. ive suggested other methods aside from the engine

2. my mic wire is run in and out of compartments to eliminate bunching it up.

3. ive done much more than basic troubleshooting so dont lecture on how to go about different problems.

if that wasnt then, oops :lol:

:D

One post up...

Not here to lecture anyone about anything.

It's just that these NAV units are essentially little PC's, and I have seen electronics leak a lot of EMR. Add in airbag controls, ECM, blower motors, even instrument clusters... Inside a dash is an awful unfriendly place for a microphone lead.

when i first linked the phone my engine was off. i called my mother to see how itd work and she said it worked perfectly. the same day when i was on my way to my fiance's house she said i sounded far away and there was alot of echoing.

Just curious, does the BT phone output only come out of the LF speaker? If so, you say the engine was off, was that door open by chance?

Possible imaging/sound path distance issue?

Just trying to help. :wink:

Just curious, does the BT phone output only come out of the LF speaker? If so, you say the engine was off, was that door open by chance?

Possible imaging/sound path distance issue?

Just trying to help. :wink:

im sorry for the blowup i thought u were criticizing my knowledge of this stuff.

no, i have it balanced between L&R. the doors were also closed. it works fine for me whenever the cars just on. but it makes you wonder, cars that come stock with say onstar, dont have any echoing and such and you can use it while driving but with the BT and mic the quality's just not good.

I have a Z2 and it was notorious for mic problems. Afew things that helped up in the Z-series forums were:

1) when pairing the phone, make sure the volume is turned less than 1/2 way on the phone

2) set your output to come from the left side only

3) dont turn the output for the voice very high, it can ricochet off the other door and into the mic, causing an echo for the caller on the other end.

Try these things and if they dont work, dig around the Z-series forums. Alot of things were tried and there's plenty of info there.