AVIC411.com

wondering about a certain radar detector

I don't think you'll be able to drive a relay from anything in a radar detector. Most relays need 12V and something like 80mA. The speaker only outputs very little current.

What you could do is drive a transistor from one of the radar detector's LEDs, and the transistor could drive a relay. Soldering and a little electronics knowledge is definitely required, but it's do-able and not really that difficult.

I don't think you'll be able to drive a relay from anything in a radar detector. Most relays need 12V and something like 80mA. The speaker only outputs very little current.

What you could do is drive a transistor from one of the radar detector's LEDs, and the transistor could drive a relay. Soldering and a little electronics knowledge is definitely required, but it's do-able and not really that difficult.

i deffinitly have the skills and knowledge but if what brdnboy and whtcrxghst said is true, which it probably is, then theres no point in carrying out with this cuz it wont work as intended. see, i thought the way radar detectors worked was they picked up the radio frequencies the cops use to talk to each other and beeped or blinked when it sensed a signal nearby.

• 3 months later...

What you need to do is develop a system that connects to a satellite that monitors all GPS transmitters. So something like a TomTom wont set it off and have that information processed and sent to your car via satellite or some form of data connection. Then the system would see your location and that of the other transmitters and turn off your lights when the signals are within a certain predetermined distance. I could get a preliminary shopping list for you.

1.) Apple MacBook Pro - Used for in car processing

2.) Home-built rocket ship* - to get home built satellite into orbit

3.) Home-built GPS satellite. I would recommend you get a couple up in orbit so that you can have full time coverage.

-- Side note. I hear you can buy Russian spy satellites that are already in orbit for pretty cheap.

4.) World class hacker and computer software engineer to build an implement software to achieve desired results.

5.) A few relays

6.) Various lengths of wire

7.) solder

8.) Shrink tubing

9.) A few cases of beer to get the job done.

*There is a company that rents out rockets for the private sector to do research...

The better thing would be to just leave the neons off or have them set up to the speed sense wire in your car with some circuitry that shuts the lights off at a certain MPH.

But seriously if some one could find a way to track emergency vehicles and have it display on my monitor and give me an audible warning that would be great and I would buy it