AVIC411.com

Opinion -- JVC KD-NX7000

Which nuvi do you have? I see what you're saying but mine does route longer.I have my nuvi set to fastest route.I had to travel 30 miles across town, my nuvi had me going thru the city while the highway is about a mile from me and it would have taken me straight to my street which is about 10 blocks off the highway.Can you image going thru the city stopping at stop lights/signs for 30 miles?

1 - The navteq/teleatlas maps are just two different databases. I would assume that the system interprets the data within the database in the same way when navigating, maybe with tweaks for Left Hand Drive vs RHD. No idea why JVC decided to use 2 different suppliers, as Navteq are just as good (if not better) as TeleAtlas over here.

IMO, the problem with TTS is (a) that the software cannot deal with complicated junctions and (B) is not smart enough to handle roads which are not completely straight. Obviously the map database will play a part too, but it's not like these two map providers are small companies...

Also, there are times when the TTS is unintellegable. I had a traffic alert which I couldn't understand and could find no way to get the unit to replay the audio alert. In the end I had to pull over & go through the menus to get to the traffic alerts screen and then read it. Not good.

2+3. Maybe, but then what is the calibration option for (page 52 of the US manual)? Does it just use the gyro I wonder? Also, page 122 mentions the speed signal. Would be very bizarre for them to leave these features out of the US version, especially as they are there to help when the GPS signal is weak or missing (i.e. in cities, tunnels, carparks, etc).

In my opinion, the navigation on this unit is very poor, especially when compared to dedicated units like the Nuvi or TomTom.

For example. I've tested it on familiar routes alongside the Nuvi and the JVC has a tendancy to choose longer routes. I think this is because the criteria it uses to calculate a route is more simplistic.

I set "home" as being where I actually park my car. This is not on a road, so everytime I choose to go "Home" I get a warning that it's not on the map. I would expect some intellegence to add the route to "home" to the map when I drive it the first time, and to use that route for future route calculations. No such luck...

Looking up a POI is a PITA as you have to specify CITY for everything (except a Zip code or phone number search). Why it can't just use your current location as a starting point is beyond me. And who searches for places based on phone number anyway? Great for stalkers maybe...

I'm also concerned about getting support and map updates for the unit. So far JVC's support in the UK consisted of a guy telling me that "we never get support calls for car audio, and I cannot find the manual for this unit on our system. Suggest you write a LETTER to JVC Customer Service at the following address...".

An email via their website took a week to be answered and then the answer was .. check our website for software updates.

If navigation is your priority I would personally pass over this unit and find something else. However, no harm in seeing if you can find one installed locally and arranging a demo.

Trick,

It is obvious to me that you are not satified with the JVC Nav. Please read below, you may find answer to couple of your problems.

1- There is no TTS for US version. See the Install US manual on JVCMoblie.com

2- You can set the guidance volume but also the background music. Page 50

3- You can choose the way the NAV will calculate the destination. BY DEFAULT, it will take Fastest and use highways whenever possible to avoid stop lights. You may try SHORTEST in your case.

4- Sorry to tell you that your driveway (Home) does not figure in any database. Put in your address and street name and you should be OK. You may ask a little too much here. Page 23

5- You don't need to enter the city everytime you want to see local POI's. The simple procedure is shown clearly on page 30.

I sincerely this will you.

Regards,

Charles

1. Quote from JVCMobile.com :

Text-to-Speech (English/Spanish/French/German/Italian/Dutch/Portuguese/Dannish/Swedish/Russian)

Coverage: United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands

2. I know. It wasn't the volume that was the problem. It was the TTS' failure to convert the traffic warning into intelligable english.

3. See my example posted above - both units were set to "fastest" rather than "shortest". In fact, even this logic is followed imprecisely. I have another example where the unit calculated a shorter route, where the trip would have been faster (but further) if a highway was used.

4. My issue was the tedious audio warning - this is my home setting. I dont mind hearing the warning once, but every time..? And again if it has to recalculate? My request was for some intellegence to record the route, like other systems do.

For info, I park in a secure underground car park, where there is no GPS signal. Which is why I went for a unit with a gyro + speed sensor. Otherwise I have to park outside in a no waiting zone until I get a GPS lock. Or drive without Nav for a while and hope I'm going the right way.

5. That procedure works fine if you dont know the name of the place you are looking for. If you want to search by name, you need to enter "city". The US version seems to differ as it restricts the search by State, I guess this is defaulted to the state that you are in? Other systems allow partial or full word matches and give results sorted by distance regardless of city.

Do you work for JVC by any chance...?

Trick,

LOL... No luck, I don't work for JVC. I'm reading as much I can to make sure I'm buying the right thing and at the same time trying to help others.

If I was woking there, I could benefit from a nice discount and wouldn't have my self to get as much info & input I can.

Maybe it's not too late for you to get another unit instead. If you are so unhappy now, what is going to be in a year?

Good luck,

See ya!

Charles