AVIC411.com

Max size and version for SD card?

• 1 month later...

If you guys want SD cards real cheap I found them in Hong Kong off e-bay.

Here's the link I picked up two I hope they combine shipping but even if they don't 40$ for a 16gb at my door isn't too shabby.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brand-New-16GB-16G-S ... dZViewItem

all by the same seller dgseller 10-15 days lead I think so it'll take a while but it's worth it. I'll be getting mine in that time I'll let you know if they are any good... I don't see a problem though, thay're all made in the same place anyway.

• 4 months later...

I have a 16 gb Patriot as well... works very nicely.

It does seem slower to load after I updated to firmware 2.0

The other thing is that I can no longer pull the bar down on the side to search for music in ver 2.0 Without this, searching for songs is too slow.

I have 1500+ songs in one directory

I am tempted to go back to version 1.17

My problem with Ipod is that you have to convert all the songs for it, changing the format, quality and even the file name.

I prefer mp3s.

I use a Zen and love it. All my music is already on SD card which my zen can play as well.

My problem with Ipod is that you have to convert all the songs for it, changing the format, quality and even the file name.

I prefer mp3s.

I use an iPod and I don't convert or change anything and all my music is MP3's. I don't use iTunes though, there's a program called MGTEK Dopisp. It allows syncing an iPod with Windows Media Player's built-in sync. I don't care for iTunes and it's even totally screwed up Vista once where the only way I could get my machine to boot was to go into Safe Mode and do a System Restore.

Not convert them to play on an avic, When you put songs onto an Ipod, you need to use the apple utility. The utility converts them to ipod format and places them on your ipod. Whereas I use explorer and just copy. No util needed.

Ipods are fine, just not for me. As I said, I like my zen and now I don't need to hook it up in my car to play my music. I can use the same sd card in both units. SD cards have become the standard for me... use them in camera, camcorder, stereo, dvd, etc. Now it would be nice to have standard playlist files on sd like winamp makes.

Yeah, that Dopisp program I mentioned eliminates any need to use Apple iTunes or anything relating to Apple whatsoever. Granted, you can't just drag & drop MP3 folders into the iPod via Explorer, but you can use Windows Media player to sync an iPod to your WMP library the exact same way you'd use it to sync to a Zune for example. Dopisp makes the iPod less proprietary by eliminating the Apple software. It's a nice program.

I do agree it would be nice to be able to open it as a disk device in Explorer and just drag & drop folders. There used to be a program that would allow an iPod to do that in XP called XPlay2. I see they now have an XPlay3 that supports Vista, but I've never tried it. Just reading the description, it might be more feature-rich than Dopisp, I may have to try their trial.

• 1 month later...
http://www.provantage.com/sandisk-sdsdrh-032g-a11~7SNDK2LY.htm

SanDisk

32GB Ultra II SDHC Flcard-with RDR 15MB/S Read/Write

$263.18

Might as well just buy an 80GB ipod... :lol:

Just for giggles, I'm going to quote this :)

http://www.provantage.com/edge-tech-edg ... DG9103.htm

$83.55

Granted, it's not Sandisk - but the more expensive ones are $20 more there...

Good thing I didn't buy one in June. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta read the fine print on some of Sandisk's cards... they claim higher numbers but when you look at the class rating which is based on the tested sustained transfer it's usually lower... snag a class 6 16gb on Amazon for about 30-40 these days :)