AVIC411.com

Hey guys,

I'm about to be installing a D3 here in the next 2 or so weeks (gotta finish collecting the accessories first, Sirius boxes and possibly BTB200.)

My main question is about placing the GPS sensor on my rear speaker deck after I get the windows tinted, probably 15% or so. Im not sure if the installer is using metallic tint. Hopefully not.

Is this going to give me problems? The vss wire will be connected due to its ease of access.

I'm just trying to keep the install as low key as possible.

Any/all opinions and insight appreciated.

If it's non-metallic tint, it will be fine. If the tint has any metal in it (most don't usually nowadays) it could effect the signal, but chances are it won't because the amount of metal we're talking about here is pretty minuscule. But if that ends up being the case, you could always put it on the front of the dashboard instead.

I have my antenna stuck to a metal crossbar under the dash and I always have at least 3 bars in the connection screen.....

Yes but I doubt your windshield is 100% covered in tint, too.

As for the OP, you should be fine with the non-metallic tint.

I have mine mounted in the traditional location of the driver's side corner on the dash and I haven't had any issues with my full windshield covered with metallic tint.

I have mine mounted in the traditional location of the driver's side corner on the dash and I haven't had any issues with my full windshield covered with metallic tint.

Where do you live? In most places tinting your front windshield is illegal.

Jacksonville, FL and yes it is illegal. Not to mention the rest of my windows are 5% and have yet to be pulled over for a ticket. It's been that way for 9 years now too...haha.

Just to stay on topic, my girlfriend practically drives the same car and hers is mounted in the same location but does not have her entire windshield tinted like mine. She gets full bars, but then again, her "top goes down." Hehe...

Mine:

IMG_1137-1.jpg

PB190152-2.jpg

Hers:

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0031-2.jpg